What is this guy shooting?

the camera turned and watched the fire spread and clearly the shooter or anyone else there did not run to address it. unfortunately, you only have seconds to react to a fire.

OP
andersson

andersson

FNG
Ha! You're obviously new here! Paranoia abounds. You are just lucky you didn't ask anyone to identify the location. That there is most likely someone's target shooting/wildfire starting honey hole, and asking to reveal locations would show you how deep the paranoia runs!

(All jokes aside those idiots need caught and dealt with, along with everything exploding gender reveal party out there)
Didn't read the link, didja? They know exactly where the location is.

BBob

WKR
Not the first time a fire has started there from shooting. Pretty stupid if it was incendiary shells. If it was I wouldn't be surprised if it will be the impetus in finally getting that spot shut down. Even as a hunter/shooter it's pretty annoying and I'm far from alone in that sentiment.

BBob

WKR
Dear Bbob, the fire news website I am editing has DOZENS of posts about exploding targets and incendiary shells. The spot is actually a designated shooting area on a national forest. But yeah, a lot of people hope that one will be shut down.
I live here :) It's out my back door and I have driven up and down that mountain literally thousands of times over the last 50 years or so so I know exactly what is going on. It's a spot where the Dumb A's go to shoot. Hell I'm not comfortable at times in that canyon when the dummy's are doing stupid things with firearms :(

IMO that spot is a big stain on good hunters and shooters. The USFS needs a reason to shut it down and as much as I hate to say it I'd agree with them if they do. There are much safer designated spots but not as convenient.

Last edited:
Didn't read the link, didja? They know exactly where the location is.
Read the link, watched the video, made an inside joke for the regulars was all.

Most of us are here for a few laughs, lots of gear talk, lots of hunting info, etc. Most are also glad to help in situations like this if possible, but the sarcasm/dry humor typically runs pretty strong around here.

Hope all goes well for you, and glad you could set your coworker straight.

personally, I have nothing against someone for having fun. I'm sure many of us have shot an exploding target in our day. the issue comes from not being responsible and having the correct means to address an issue if it should arise. or simply put, common sense.
of course, if it were in my back yard things might be different lol.

BBob, curious why if this is not the first time and the spot is so popular the local LEO hasn't cleared it or at least a spot to make it safe?

BBob

WKR
BBob, curious why if this is not the first time and the spot is so popular the local LEO hasn't cleared it or at least a spot to make it safe?
It's on USFS land and LEO doesn't have much say. It's hard to get spots like this shut down. The FS at one time attempted to shut down all wildcat ranges but legally it didn't fly. Up a nearby road into a different part of the NF it became a real wild west shite show with wildcat ranges all over and it needed fixing. They were able to do a safety study and shut down much of it and designate some safe areas. This one I suspect was deemed safe and left open. I'm sure the FS just needs a legit reason to shut it. If they just shut it down they'll get likely get sued so they need legit reasons.

Oh and it's the desert. It gets super dry and things burn easy so pretty hard to clear a canyon to make it burn free. Some of the other designated spots I referenced above have burned too. Not uncommon at all and there are at times moratoriums on shooting if fire conditions warrant it.

yeah, all comes down to common sense. I know here we lost a lot of shooting areas. now its either private or indoor range, all due to people like those in the vid. sadly the bad ones are always looked at we all get grouped together.

Dumb enough to put it on you tube while acting like an idiot, he deserves the full aftermath of getting caught.

that wasn’t a simple mistake, it was careless action.

BBob

WKR
What’s the history of this area he’s at? It seems fairly storied and well known.
Simple. It’s a pullout 5 minutes or so up the major road on the mountain that everyone uses to get up or down. You are driving 50-100ft or so from the firing point. There’s a small island buffer but not total protective cover from the road if someone messes up. There’s a trail at the top of the ridge above the pullout which is really fun hearing ricochets zinging overhead. Lots of climbing, hiking, mtb activity all throughout the major canyon where this is and you can hear it all throughout. Highly annoying (and sometimes unnerving) trying to enjoy an outdoor experience with the yahoo’s going off.
IMG_0643.jpeg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby ... but wow.
These guys patrol their own, not much gets by them, and to their defense, they’ve caught a lot of poser-pot-stirrers that were here for the wrong reasons.

But as you see, they’re a great knowlededable group and did you notice one of the posters ( @BBob ) has driven that same road for 50 years!

#forumlife

Geewhiz

WKR
Papa's got our back.

chest-pump-i-got-you.gif

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
THANKS, both, I told them a slug (e.g. Midwest cornfield whitetail) is still not a bullet. BUT YOU CAN find brass shells on the ground (!!!) which is not a shotgun shell.
I have seen some brass hulls but rarely - you talking about 12 ga brass shotshells?

Most brass comes from pistol and rifle, called cases or brass. Shotgun shells make hulls.

If yer gonna argue about it, don’t be a jerk if you can avoid it. Something about flies and honey.

OP
andersson

andersson

FNG
These guys patrol their own, not much gets by them, and to their defense, they’ve caught a lot of poser-pot-stirrers that were here for the wrong reasons.

But as you see, they’re a great knowlededable group and did you notice one of the posters ( @BBob ) has driven that same road for 50 years!

#forumlife

I have seen some brass hulls but rarely - you talking about 12 ga brass shotshells?

Most brass comes from pistol and rifle, called cases or brass. Shotgun shells make hulls.

If yer gonna argue about it, don’t be a jerk if you can avoid it. Something about flies and honey.
its all part of the language lol. many names for a lot of stuff and we all know what it means but remember, non shooters think it all means the same thing. boats have hulls. (jk)