Kansas Mule Deer Poaching Investigation Nets 140 Charges

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I don’t understand how you can plead guilty to 22 of 58 charges and lose your license for only ten years.

From article:
PRATT, Kan. (KWCH) - A three-year investigation in northwest Kansas involving Cheyenne, Sherman, Wallace and Logan counties led to the discovery of illegally-harvested animals including 25 deer (mostly mule deer), one antelope and eight turkeys.

“Many of the deer had been shot out of season and with firearms by the guilty parties who were in possession of archery permits only; Many deer were also taken without a permit,” the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks said. “Of the 13 deer scored, game wardens were able to determine the average antler size at 173 inches.”

In closing the poaching case, the state department of wildlife and parks said 140 charges were filed against nine people for violations from 2015 to 2019. Three people pled guilty to at least six charges each, information from the department said. Those people and the charges they face are as follows:

• Tayton Weeter received 58 charges relating to the illegal take of wildlife and pled guilty to 22 charges. Weeter was ordered to pay $45,000 in fines and restitution and received a 10-year hunting revocation.
  • Tracy Weeter received 46 charges relating to the illegal take of wildlife and pled guilty to 12 charges. Tracy Weeter was ordered to pay $750 in fines and $1,688 in court costs and received a two-year hunting revocation.
  • Sean Winter received 18 charges relating to the illegal take of wildlife and pled guilty to six charges. Winter was ordered to pay $5,800 in fines and restitution and received a 12-month hunting revocation and forfeited a firearm.

Link to article

Laramie

WKR
Unbelievable on so many levels. Makes me sad. Punishments we're a joke.

Guess it really isn't important in Kansas. That's Kansas's business however I would favor a ban from the rest of the states of ever letting those folks hunt anyplace else.

You guys should look up Tracy Weeter on FB. Big deer all over his page. Looks like Tatyon might be an outfitter?

These punishments are such a joke. They should all be banned from hunting for life. They didn't accidently kill one animal illegally. They pled guilty to many charges that represent a pattern. That should be a ban for life. As said above, the fines are so cheap its cheaper to poach and get caught than pay for a guided hunt. And the loss of hunting privileges for 1-2 years is nothing. Many people have to wait a year or two between drawing tags anyway. So ridiculous.

Biggie

FNG
Looks like Tatyon might be an outfitter?
They were tied in with XTreme Outfitters out of TX. No new posts on that page since 2020. The owner even somehow managed to shoot a KS elk when all he did was lease ground for hunting purposes.

*zap*

WKR
There are lots of systemic issues within KDWP&T, throughout the entire organization. Who knows what evidence or lack of such they had. Warden checked me after archery deer hunt and tried to ticket me for not having a turkey tag.

Cowbell

WKR
This is such a broken system. "Yeah let's take away hunting privileges from a habitual poacher - that'll teach them". So stupid. It's as ignorant as gun laws to end gun crimes.
These guys need serious jail time.

WoodBow

WKR
Guess it really isn't important in Kansas. That's Kansas's business however I would favor a ban from the rest of the states of ever letting those folks hunt anyplace else.
That is exactly the system that is in place. I don't know which states are a part of it but most are. It is an agreement amongst them that if you lose hunting privileges in one state, you lose them in all of them.