Katabatic Flex 22F How much overfill is recommended?

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking for a new quilt and settled on the katabatic flex, how much overfill is recommended, or is it unnecessary? I wish to use the quilt in a 4 season sleep system with the thermarest xtherm max, I expect temps as high as 70F and as low as -10F. My main line of thinking is overfill will decrease the down migration enhancing the quilt performance and reliability on long outings, but I would like to know the exact amount necessary to achieve this.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think you’ll be able to add enough overfill to get the Flex22 down to -10F. You need to increase baffle height to make a bag/quilt warmer and since those are already sewn, the overfill will only make it slightly warmer.

Katabatic makes a solid product, and I have not experienced any down shifting in my Flex22. I am a cold sleeper and wear base layers with it once I get below freezing. I’d recommend the quilt to anyone shopping for a high quality sleep system.

If I were you I’d look at buying the Katabatic and a second quilt in the 40deg range. Those could be combined with your down layers to get you into some colder temperatures and you’d also have a warm weather sleep system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think you’ll be able to add enough overfill to get the Flex22 down to -10F. You need to increase baffle height to make a bag/quilt warmer and since those are already sewn, the overfill will only make it slightly warmer.

Katabatic makes a solid product, and I have not experienced any down shifting in my Flex22. I am a cold sleeper and wear base layers with it once I get below freezing. I’d recommend the quilt to anyone shopping for a high quality sleep system.

If I were you I’d look at buying the Katabatic and a second quilt in the 40deg range. Those could be combined with your down layers to get you into some colder temperatures and you’d also have a warm weather sleep system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, I'll pass on the overfill then. I'm fine taking the system down to -10F with my thermal blanket and down clothing, but my main concern was down shifting.

Cyril

FNG
I have a flex 15 and used it for 10 days in AK and saw no issues with down shifting. I debated doing an overstuff as well, but opted for stock and have no regrets. The quilt was awesome and the treated down and face fabric performed great. We had a tent leak issue in the middle of the night, i woke up soaked, I was not covered in the quilt on my torso. The face fabric had water pooled in it mid body. I shook off the bag, put a tarp over the tent and climbed in with the wet clothes on. I woke up dry and the outer fabric of the quilt was moist to touch but performed better than expected. Everything was completely dry before I went to bed the next night. I was very happy.

@FrancoisStrawman , you ever figure out your sleep system? I got the same pad en route to me, and purchased a Flex 30 (no overstuff) the other day for hopeful four season use (mainly TX) because I sleep hot and don't anticipate any use below 20. If I'm going on a hunt or hike that will be < 20, I've determined I'll most likely have a dedicated mummy bag.