Kelty?

jofes

WKR
Im looking at getting a Trekker 65, 180 dollar external frame backpack. wondering if anyone has any experience hauling meat with one? I know its an older style but it seems solid. Money is a big issue and im going on my first elk hunt in 2016. I know its not a ton of bag space but can I attach a tag bag directly to the frame? Also I will be mostly a day pack but it will double as my meat hauler if we can get an elk on the ground. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going next year you may have some time to poke around on ebay and craigslist. I picked up a used Kelty external frame pack for $25 off of CL last summer. This summer I contacted Kelty and got updated shoulder straps from their warranty department (FREE!). Something to consider if money is tight.

Last edited:

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
The Kelty Trekker packs can haul meat well but you should be able to find them for under $100 no problem! Also keep an eye out for the Tioga model!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
ILBE gen 2 another great budget pack. They can be had for under 100$

Im looking at getting a Trekker 65, 180 dollar external frame backpack. wondering if anyone has any experience hauling meat with one? I know its an older style but it seems solid. Money is a big issue and im going on my first elk hunt in 2016. I know its not a ton of bag space but can I attach a tag bag directly to the frame? Also I will be mostly a day pack but it will double as my meat hauler if we can get an elk on the ground. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a kelty Red Cloud 90 off this very sight at a great price. I bought it for a friend but he is not going to backpack so i still have it . Its in very good condition PM me if interested ill give you a good of deal as i got on it.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Kelty Cache Hauler is also a great pack, put a dry bag on it and you're set to go. Comfortable external frame pack for a fair price.

The cache hauler was my first load hauler as well. Best thing about it, if you ever upgrade, you can keep the cache hauler to use as a dedicated meat hauler or loan to friends who need a solid pack frame. It's got a great belt, the pack wings, and a blaze orange cover that's tucked in a zippered pouch under the load shelf.

OP
J

jofes

WKR
It sounds like most folks enjoy there keltys. Are the exterior frames easy to attach a gun to? Also when hauling meat do you attach the meat bags to the top bar of the frame?

mmw194287

WKR
I picked up a Kelty Cache Hauler last year and used it as a freighter on my moose hunt after hauling out the first load with my MR6500. Very impressed with the comfort under multiple 100+ pound loads. It's got a load shelf that folds out and batwing-style compression panels--with a little paracord, it's pretty quick and easy to secure big and bulky things to it.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like most folks enjoy there keltys. Are the exterior frames easy to attach a gun to? Also when hauling meat do you attach the meat bags to the top bar of the frame?

If you have the capacity its easiest/best to get the meat up high in the bag. Some of the side pockets on the Keltys are great to slide the butt of the gun into and then attach the barrel to the top of the frame with a strap or cordage. If the side pocket is too small for the butt of the gun you can rig up a gun bearer type holder.

dirkcsu

FNG
The Kelty Cache Hauler is the best $100 you will ever spend on a pack frame. I have hauled several elk qtr's off the mtn with this frame, still performs flawlessly after 6 years.

Floorguy

WKR