Kenetrek break in?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up the mountain extreme 400gs at Cabelas. Normally wear a 10.5-11 shoe. The 11's made my feet tingle a bit and fall asleep. Went up to 11.5's and it mostly went away but it's still there a bit. Can't go any bigger or my heel really slips.

Do these things loosen up a bit after a break in? Just curious because a good portion of it is that synthetic rubber looking material instead of leather. Not sure if I should return and order wides (never needed them before) or keep wearing them and breaking them in.

Also, with a good thick sock what's the lowest temp you'd say these are gtg in?

Michael54

WKR
The leather will stretch a bit, the rubber wont, as far as temps go it 100% depends on you.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
The leather will stretch a bit, the rubber wont, as far as temps go it 100% depends on you.
Guess I better return them and figure out what the deal is.

I’ve been using some cheap Irish setters with 400 G insulation trapping in 0° weather and they are a little cold. Should I expect these to be about the same, or should they be warmer than the cheaper ones?

The problem I have with kenetreks is tightness across the top of my foot up near the ankle, causes tingling....
Doing the heel lock lacing method cures this for me.

One thing I will say about breaking them in, is DONT use any waterproofing of boot dressing on them until they are well broken in. The leather needs to get wet to form to your foot. I think I am on my 6th pair, the ones that I waxxed from the beginning (as reccomended) never fit as good as the ones that would get wet.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
The problem I have with kenetreks is tightness across the top of my foot up near the ankle, causes tingling....

One thing I will say about breaking them in, is DONT use any waterproofing of boot dressing on them until they are well broken in. The leather needs to get wet to form to your foot. I think I am on my 6th pair, the ones that I waxxed from the beginning (as reccomended) never fit as good as the ones that would get wet.
Do you intentionally get them wet right off the bat to help break in and form?

If I return these I’m thinking about getting the mountain guide. Are there any cons to them?

I have gotten them wet intentionally and worn them until dry. Has taken several times, but they do form. Just dont take them off really wet and put them on a boot drier.

The mountain guides are heavier

Fit wise for me, the guides are slightly wider and slightly longer. They tend to stretch out more during the day without the rand all the way around the boot.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Fit wise for me, the guides are slightly wider and slightly longer. They tend to stretch out more during the day without the rand all the way around the boot.
Sounds like what I need. I’m going to return these, and order the guides in the correct size and see if they fit better doing that. Thanks.

JCohHTX

FNG

same for me, and I also do the heel lock. Don't forget that you may want to try different insoles too.
I have also found that the toe box ends up being too tight once my feet swell up after a day of hiking. I now skip the first set of eyelits (by the toes). They still fit me better than any other high end boots I have tried.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
same for me, and I also do the heel lock. Don't forget that you may want to try different insoles too.
I have also found that the toe box ends up being too tight once my feet swell up after a day of hiking. I now skip the first set of eyelits (by the toes). They still fit me better than any other high end boots I have tried.
What’s happening with me is the toe box and heel are too big when I move up in size anymore to allow the rest of my foot to not go numb.

I actually prefer a little bit of heel slip, but something feels off. I can’t even pinpoint where it’s happening other than not the heels or toe.

muddydogs

WKR
I've never had to break in my Kenetrek boot, just put them on and start wearing them. The rubber your referring to is the rand which is a strip of rubber that protects the leather underneath it from abrasion.

Best thing you can do with new boots is oil them up and start wearing them, the oil softens the leather much like getting them wet without the hassle of getting them wet. Wear them for a day and apply oil that evening then wear them tomorrow.

If your between sizes or have off feet you might have some tight spots that need worn in, key here is to keep the boots oiled so the leather doesn't shrink and get tight between seasons.

AZxp

FNG
I have 2 pairs and both took 75 miles to be bearable. Another friend put his on and said they were perfect and never changed.
For me, it's the heel that's the issue when new. I wear a sock liner and deal with the heal slip for a couple months but then it just works itself out.
I still use my kenetreks but don't know that I'd buy them again when Crispi has been a much quicker break in

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
I've got about 15 miles on my pair and I'd say they're broken in. Admittedly when i first tried them on they instantly made my feet hurt an almost unbearable pain. I also did all 15 miles carrying 80-100 pounds. oops. They don't hurt now and I never got any blisters. Obviously to each their own. The more I wear them the better they feel.

Shraggs

WKR
You may try a thinner sock. Or different insole. Don’t be afraid to experiment.

My kenetrek uninsulated I use a medium sock and in my 400 gr I use a thin.

Pretty well covered above. I’m kinda partial to them but spend quite a bit of time breaking them in. When I buy a new pair I plan on early September. Wear them every morning when I take the dogs out for their daily four miles. By October they are ready for hard use, but they are getting quite comfortable by the 20 mile mark or so.
Like Shraggs I use a light sock in my insulated boots and a medium in my uninsulated boots.
I actually wear them every day, my older ones. Newer boots are saved for hunting. I’ve only sent one pair in to be re-soled. They must be 10 years old. unless I’m breaking in a new pair, they are on my feet every day. They are about shot but they fit so good I’ll sometimes just tuck the laces inside the boot and wear them like a slip on shoe.
I think guys make a big mistake if the only time they wear their boots is in hunting camp. Your feet need to get use to them. If you dont wear them regularly its probably a good idea to get them on for a while over the weekend a couple of weeks before you go hunting.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I returned the ones I got, ended up getting mountain guides in his size and a half smaller. I only wore them around the house for one day then went straight to pounding out miles in the mountains. Had no issues with a break in period at all. Really surprised considering how stiff they seemed when other break in periods with lesser boots tore my feet up

I find kenetreks are a narrow boot. The wide size helps for sure. For break in I get mine walk through a deep creek wet and then leave the laces quite loose while hiking them dry

JMCox98

FNG
I have the Moutain Extremes and went a .5 size up. NO break in, no blisters. second season wearing them. I have wide feet, and had no issues.