Kenetrek mountain extreme break in

These are my first pair. Took them for a spin today. Good performance but they are stiff. I know it varies but what is the approx mileage to break these things in? Any tricks of the trade to speed it up?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me these boots fit like a glove and required little breakin time. All I can say is hammer some miles on them

Stid2677

WKR
Soak them in hot water from the outside, don't let water get in the boot, but soak them good with very hot water. Then lace them up and walk them dry. Do this a couple times and it will allow the softened leather to shape to your feet. I like to get 100 plus miles on a pair before I trust them to hunt in.

Steve

frankrb3

WKR
Took two weeks of wearing them all day before my kenetrek hard scrabbles didn't hurt my feet anymore. Now I love them and they still get worn everyday, except now they fit great and don't hurt.

I waited a couple months before I started treating mine with the kenetrek boot wax. I recommend you just start waxing them right away and like most guys say, just put the miles on them now when it's not so critical, this way you know you can trust them not to leave your feet killing during a hunt.

I'd love to get a pair of the Mountain Extremes for late season. Also I'm not sure if you have tried Darn Tough socks yet, but they are awesome and can really make a difference with boot comfort. Made in the USA and come with a lifetime warranty.

Good luck, and just know that the pain and stiffness you are experiencing now seems to be norma

Vids

WKR
Mine took close to 100 miles, I love them now. One trick I learned is to skip the poly sock liners and just go with Darn Tough socks by themselves. My heel blisters stopped completely once I ditched the liners, everyone has different feet though.

Soak them in hot water from the outside, don't let water get in the boot, but soak them good with very hot water. Then lace them up and walk them dry. Do this a couple times and it will allow the softened leather to shape to your feet. I like to get 100 plus miles on a pair before I trust them to hunt in.

Steve

Ever had any problems with the glue reacting to the hot water? I'd be afraid to do that.

I applied the Kenetrek boot wax several times to mine, then started wearing them to work and around the house. No break-in required. I think working the boot wax into them might have helped soften them up a little?? Maybe some foot shapes don't work well with the Mountain Extremes, so you have to find the individual brand that does fit well. Fortunately, my Kenetreks are perfect for me.

Best thing I know of to break them in is to hike in them with a heavy backpack. One thing to keep in mind with these boots is that they are stiff for a reason: to haul heavy loads. Even after they are broke in, they will still be rigid........ I sure do like mine. They are holding up great and should last for years. Especially, if you wear gators with them. I just ordered a pair of their pac boots for cold weather. Can't wait to try them out.

boom

WKR
i dont think they will ever soften. my brother's still look stiff as hell.

my similar Beartooths are the same. and have done two fifty milers with them.. they are comfy, but still very rigid.

OP
Desk Jockey
Thanks to all. I am about 12 miles into them. Very warm. No real issues. They are significantly stiffer than the crispi idahos I wore for the first part of the season. I plan to wear them in the off season to continue the break in. I may try the wate trick too.

Steve

I've used this method for years with my military boots and swear by it. For summer/jungle boots I get them totally saturated inside and out by standing in a creek or puddle until I'm soaked. Then ruck until they are dry. After that the boots are perfectly molded to my feet.

For waterproof lined boots, the hot water method works. Bottom line, you just have to log the miles and sweat in them.