Kifaru Day Pack for Elk

tracker12

WKR
I am in need of a new day pack for this years elk hunt. I was using a Badlands Supeday but ready for something new. I have no intentions of using it to pack meat. Purely a day pack. I do want side water bottle pockets. I had planned on a Kifaru Duplex Lite with Stryker XL. While it is nice it is more than I need in a pack if I am not going to be carrying weight. Id really like the quality of the Kifaru packs and am thinking something with a some sort of sheet suspension would work. I do like the Kuiu 1850 so that may be an option. Suggestions?

Following. I too am looking. 357 mag seems to fit the bill all things considered. I like the looks of the mini keg too.

You leaning towards an internal frame or wanting to stick with the duplex lite or tactical?

Elkangle

WKR
How are you getting around packing meat ? Asking for a friend 😂

If no meat pack I'd go door gunner, if your hauling heavy optics and water youl enjoy that frame

Sitka Apex pack is pretty nice too for spot & stalk

As Elkangle ask, are you hauling meat?
If so, go for a bigger bag, they all go down to day mode. If not looking for a new bag from Kifaru, I say the AMR is a great pack, down to day mode with ease and at the same time able to haul a lot.

What ever bag you go for, do not go to small.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Kifaru 14'r for the last couple years and really like it. Lightweight, enough room for extra socks, rain gear, lunch, spotter, kill kit and room to spare for shedding heavier clothing. It has good compression when it's mostly empty and carries well when loaded down.

I'm going the other direction though, I want to have a daypack that can haul meat.

I can say just based on what I have read the doorgunner is quite small, but some use it with a Sherman to get about 30% more capacity and a place to cinch layers. I think the the shape charge may fit what your describing. Frame sheet with stays, side water bottle pockets, good number of pockets for organization, and you can add belt pocket or Sherman to it. Plus if you do decide you want to throw on the frame it works well with that too. Throw a grab it on the frame and It’s kinda like a 22 mag with a meat shelf. It may be a nice balance and give you some versatility. Just my thoughts, happy pack hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
How are you getting around packing meat ? Asking for a friend 😂

If no meat pack I'd go door gunner, if your hauling heavy optics and water youl enjoy that frame

Sitka Apex pack is pretty nice too for spot & stalk
I’m 70. I pay someone to pack it out. And I tried putting on a duplex frame and Stryker bag. Nice pack but more than I want on my back during archery hunts. Shapecharge has my interest

Last edited:
I've been using a Kifaru 14'r for the last couple years and really like it. Lightweight, enough room for extra socks, rain gear, lunch, spotter, kill kit and room to spare for shedding heavier clothing. It has good compression when it's mostly empty and carries well when loaded down.

I'm going the other direction though, I want to have a daypack that can haul meat.
What day pack are you looking at that will pack meat?

Elkangle

WKR
I’m 70. I pay someone to pack it out. And I tried putting on a duplex frame and Stryker bag. Nice pack but more than I want on my back during archery hunts. Shapecharge has my interest

Shapecharge would work well...pretty much checks all the boxes...something like the sitka Apex is pretty similar but alil cheaper and maybe less noisy but that's not a huge issue with elk..shapecahrge would prolly be more durable

I'm in the same boat....used and still use a Badlands Superday....have a Kifaru Duplex Lite with a Woodsman and 5K Muskeg...thinking about a Hellbender but would love to ditch the frame. Especially if I am base camp hunting and really don't need to have a frame. I like the Shape Charge...but the price! Also...why noy X-Pac material?

There has to be something else....I also need a pack that will be compatible on a horse....not sure a frame pack will work for me.

Sadler

WKR
The new antero is nice. Pair it with the edc belt and a couple small belt pouches you’ll be set.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
What day pack are you looking at that will pack meat?

I have a Kifaru frame. I just need to pick a bag to go on it.

I'm also considering just using a Kifaru cargo net on it with my top lid and load sling. A rollup dry bag will hold rain gear cinched into the cargo net. All stuff, no fluff.

I had a 1800 that was well thought out. The straps are somewhat modular. I took the lid straps and put them on the back for strapping a climbing stick to the pack. I also attached a k2 weapon carrier to the bottom. You get a lot of pack for the price. Not exactly the 2300 but very close, just smaller. Just to give an overall comment on the kuiu ventures.

5b9dce62664c67042e8fdb906c4b9c69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The only pack I own is their 44 Mag. Wouldnt really call it a "day pack" but I still use it when I go on a day hunt. Last season I had a good haul out with my mule deer and I was super happy to have that large pack. I am also guilty of always packing way more crap than I will need.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
My buddy has the KUIU and it is a nice pack for sure and was one of my considerations. I really like the Kifaru Stryker(I currently have one) and if I can find a small light weight frame without the big lumbar pads to fit it that would be my choice.

pirogue

WKR
The new antero is nice. Pair it with the edc belt and a couple small belt pouches you’ll be set.
Looks like Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder designed how far down the pack handle was moved on the Antero. I like my original style not only as a daypack, but the old design handle at the top let’s it hang against a tree with minimal profile while hunting on a deer stand.

Sadler

WKR
Looks like Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder designed how far down the pack handle was moved on the Antero. I like my original style not only as a daypack, but the old design handle at the top let’s it hang against a tree with minimal profile while hunting on a deer stand.
He was asking for a day hunting pack not a tree stand pack so the new grab handle placement shouldn’t be an issue. But I do agree with ya, they could have done better with that handle.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
He was asking for a day hunting pack not a tree stand pack so the new grab handle placement shouldn’t be an issue. But I do agree with ya, they could have done better with that handle.
The pack may very well found its way in a tree. While not a game stopper they could have done a better job on handle placement. Of all the Kifaru packs the Shape Charge has my most attention.