Kifaru Gun Bearer... Left vs right side carry?

Thinking of ordering a gun bearer and can’t deside if I want right or left hand carry. Those of you who use the Kifaru Gun bearer, do you have the rifle set up on the left or right side? And further do you shoot left or right handed?

I shoot right handed, I would typically think it would make more sense to have the rifle set up on my right, but I carry a Glock 20 for bears while in grizzly country, and I worry having the rifle on the right side might interfere with carry and draw of my pistol. Would it be slow and inconvenient to have the rifle on the left even though I’m right handed?

I typically carry the Glock on a HPG kit bag, but may switch to using a Kydex holser on my pack belt in the future FYI.

rbljack

WKR
I will let you know after my kydex holster arrives for my glock 29. I run the gun bearer on the right side currently (and Im right handed). IM hoping the kydex holster and glock 29 will be ok o the right side, and the gun bearer can stay there too.....but not sure.

I plan to put the holster behind a medium belt pouch and mounted to the hip belt of my kifaru pack if things work out the way I hope they will.

Can anyone confirm if this will work??
TTT

Rbonsen

FNG
Thinking of ordering a gun bearer and can’t deside if I want right or left hand carry. Those of you who use the Kifaru Gun bearer, do you have the rifle set up on the left or right side? And further do you shoot left or right handed?

I shoot right handed, I would typically think it would make more sense to have the rifle set up on my right, but I carry a Glock 20 for bears while in grizzly country, and I worry having the rifle on the right side might interfere with carry and draw of my pistol. Would it be slow and inconvenient to have the rifle on the left even though I’m right handed?

I typically carry the Glock on a HPG kit bag, but may switch to using a Kydex holser on my pack belt in the future FYI.

I am right handed and use my gun carrier on the right side, but you may have interference with the pistol. I didn't wear a holster on my pack belt this year while using the gun carrier. If you get the universal gun bearer, you can use it on either side, unless you have to have the dedicated right or left for your pack?

OP
B
I am right handed and use my gun carrier on the right side, but you may have interference with the pistol. I didn't wear a holster on my pack belt this year while using the gun carrier. If you get the universal gun bearer, you can use it on either side, unless you have to have the dedicated right or left for your pack?

I guess the universal might be the best option then?

Planning on purchasing a Kifaru pack with it, figured I might get the purpose built Kifaru gun bearer... Are their any disadvantages to the universal?

ChrisAU

WKR
Right handed and use mine on the right. Doesn't interfer with pulling my pistol from a Gunfighters Inc Kenai that is up under my bino harness. Your right forearm will be in front of the rifle.

BluMtn

WKR
I use a different rifle carrier, but when I pack a handgun on my pack which is only when I am not packing a rifle, I carry mine in a cross draw position on my pack belt. Easier to draw in my opinion.

Rbonsen

FNG
I guess the universal might be the best option then?

Planning on purchasing a Kifaru pack with it, figured I might get the purpose built Kifaru gun bearer... Are their any disadvantages to the universal?

I got a universal so I could use it no matter what pack I used. I'm kind of like a woman with purses sometimes......I also have used it on a different frame this year.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Right handed shooter, gun bearer on right, Glock 20 in mid ride holster on my right hip. The stock of my rifle sits behind my pistol and does not impede my draw stroke. Keep in mind my pistol sits at the ~2:30, not truly 90 degrees at my side. This allows my gun bearer to put the butt stock of my rifle nicely behind my Glock at about ~4:00.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
With a rifle on your right in a gun bearer, it will be difficult to reach all the way around your rifle, your binos, and cross-draw a pistol on the left side of your hipbelt. This has been my experience, at least.

LionHead

WKR
A little late but might help someone decide a future matter

I've carried a kit bag and a kifaru pack for about 5 years. Gunbearer on the right for a righty shooter and kitbag with G17 for right hand draw. Never noticed any impedance with draw.

Here's my logic.

#1 if I have a rifle and a pistol on me and I get in a gunfight (vs. bad-guys, bears, cats etc.) I'm going for my rifle first.

#2 on the pack in, usually a day or two before season I pack carry my rifle on the bag to prevent temptation ( Ive bumped deer almost every year the day before the opener).

#3 this keeps my pistol in the same location all the time in the mountains (i.e. rifle on pack, rifle in gun-bearer, or no rifle cuz I'm doing a non hunting trip). I have 3 draw locations, chest carry if I have a pack, duty belt when I have armor and appendix if I'm in plain clothes/off-duty. Some might consider that a lot of nuero-motor pathways, but I do train all of them. In addition to live fire, I will do about 15-25 dry draw strokes before work/leaving the trailhead/ leaving the house. I think this helps me mentally prep my brain in the event of "oh shit!"

#4 I can still access the kitbag with the rifle upfront. Draw might be a hair slower but I've never timed it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
If you carry the rifle on the left you run the chance of opening the bolt if it doesn't lock. Plus when I was messing around with my bearer I found the bolt had a tendency to jab me in the back or ribs when carried on the left.