Kifaru hoodlum released

Im going to say im not going to get one and just stick with what i got. Then later i will end up getting one. That seems to be how it goes for me. So for now i will say i will stick with my reckoning and woodsman.

skierhs

WKR
They are building packs like crazy and typically have a 3-4 week lead time depending on pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you taking remote(phone/website) orders starting Monday or the Monday following western hunt? Either way i’ll Probably wait to check it out in person but I do just pull the trigger sometimes.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you taking remote(phone/website) orders starting Monday or the Monday following western hunt? Either way i’ll Probably wait to check it out in person but I do just pull the trigger sometimes.

I’m sure if you call in Monday, you can place an order. I don’t work for Kifaru. Sorry.

Trekker

FNG
The lack of side carry options for a rifle is a bummer. Otherwise I dig the layout.

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
Im missing the purpose of 2 side zips when a U zip would have added 2 oz.

skierhs

WKR
Yea that’s my only complaint with it.

I think I like it more actually. I’ve been using the mountain warrior religiously for awhile and I love having the horseshoe opening but it’s a pain to always have to take off the brain to get into the bag when I need a quick small thing. Being able to just unzip and zip real fast is a highlight in my opinion.

ljalberta

WKR
I have a MW. I haven't run into that problem. You can use the lower zip on each side of the MW to access the back without removing the brain the same way you would be able to do with the Hoodlum.

I like the looks the of the Hoodlum, but I'll hold off on this one. I don't think I'll got back to a bag without a U zip or a centre zip personally.

I think I like it more actually. I’ve been using the mountain warrior religiously for awhile and I love having the horseshoe opening but it’s a pain to always have to take off the brain to get into the bag when I need a quick small thing. Being able to just unzip and zip real fast is a highlight in my opinion.

You can still do that with a horseshoe zipper. Just use the sides.
But with a horseshoe you can also unzip the whole thing and access everything. Can't do that with just side zippers.

I just can't figure out why they keep building bags with compression straps that crush the side pockets. They made a couple to address that complaint (Fulcrum (huge), Nomad 2 (tiny)) but then the latest release packs go back to the same older strap design. o_O

I just can't figure out why they keep building bags with compression straps that crush the side pockets. They made a couple to address that complaint (Fulcrum (huge), Nomad 2 (tiny)) but then the latest release packs go back to the same older strap design. o_O

I think this may have to do with keeping the stress of the zippers as those would be a weak point. Just guessing on it though.

I think this may have to do with keeping the stress of the zippers as those would be a weak point. Just guessing on it though.
Not really because the straps on those models run behind the zippered pockets all the way to the back. So the zippered pocket essentially conforms to the inner portion on the outside of the compression strap. I don't mean to complain because I still think Kifaru has the best options in comparison to the other companies I would consider a pack from.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has to do with how it's sewed. I asked for a pass through on the Crater and both Aron and Frank told me it's a sewing issue.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally like this newer pack more. The side pockets that are enclosed and the offset zippers seal it for me. The only thing I'm torn on is the strap layout. I initially think I would prefer the Reckoning strap layout.

I like how you can still get in the zipper and main bag with a tripod or gun on the back. Then the enclosed pockets speak for themselves.