Kifaru, Kuiu, Exo, and Stone Glacier

DTime20

FNG
I’m in the market for a new pack. Up to this point I’ve just been using a backpacking pack from osprey and it’s good but it’s not made for hunting. Right now I’m really attracted to the Kifaru with the duplex lite Frame with either the 44 mag or reckoning. I also like the kuiu 6000 pro. On my hunts I like to hike in and usually spend 3-5 days. I know exo’s are good and stone glacier’s so I was curious to know your opinion! Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
All good brands! I think another recommendation you'll hear is buying 2-3 different options, trying them out, and returning the ones that you don't like. Hopefully with a side-by-side comparison you'll be able to tell which one your body agrees with best.

Good luck!

I own a Kifaru, Exo and SG and love all three (all are made in the USA). Pack choice really comes down to what fits you best. Don't know where you are located, but I would recommend reaching out to your local hunting community to see if anybody has a pack you're interested in and would be willing to let you give it a test run.

Venom One

WKR
Lots of pack reviews on this site to check out; just do a quick search. I found these reviews to be helpful when I was shopping:

jzelk

FNG
Trying to unlock my account as well...I had a Kuiu Icon Pro, ran it for 2 seasons, hated it. The lumbar pad sat weird on me, to the point it was overly painful to pack out a deer. I bought an SG bag and I love it.

Go with your gut and pull the trigger on the Kifaru. Kifaru is the standard which all other hunting packs aspire to be. There is a reason for this.

Bow daddy

FNG
I got the Kifaru Striker, taken it out on a weeks of day hunts, couldn’t be happier.. until they made the striker XL!! but hey, to me, they will always make something else I want to buy.
Once you invest into the frame the bags for which you get really aren’t that crazy and who doesn’t like to accessorize?!?

Drenalin

WKR
The ones I have tried, I would rank best to worst as:

Seek Outside
Exo
Kifaru
Mystery Ranch
Kuiu

Seek Outside is easily my favorite. There's a sizeable gap between Kifaru and MR for me, and the Kuiu is so far below the others that I'd rather carry my stuff in a burlap sack with a handle than ever have another one on my back.

Kad000

FNG
I was able to use a friends Exo last year because he got a Kifaru and I really enjoyed it. I did end up ordering the duplex lite and the 44mag pack. Haven't been out much this year to give a full comparison but so far I really like the Kifaru even though it says its a smaller bag it seems to have more room than the Exo 5500.

Venom One

WKR
I'd rather carry my stuff in a burlap sack with a handle than ever have another one on my back.
Do you recommend an over-the-shoulder, Hunch-Back style for carrying said burlap sack, or do you go Huck Finn with it on the end of a stick?

I'm feeling really embarrassed that I just spent $400 on a pack when all I had to do was mug a 14 yr old stowaway on a river boat and steal his sack. Hell, I might have even have nipped a few blighted potatoes and moldy carrots in the grand theft. :)

Drenalin

WKR
Do you recommend an over-the-shoulder, Hunch-Back style for carrying said burlap sack, or do you go Huck Finn with it on the end of a stick?

I'm feeling really embarrassed that I just spent $400 on a pack when all I had to do was mug a 14 yr old stowaway on a river boat and steal his sack. Hell, I might have even have nipped a few blighted potatoes and moldy carrots in the grand theft. :)
I'll preface this by pointing out the oft repeated mantra here that pack fit is a personal thing. What works for one may not work for another. What I hate, you may love. The only way to know is to throw your money down and try some.

That said, either of those methods, or maybe even balanced on my head. It might be more comfortable to eat the burlap sack and its contents, and carry it all out in my belly, than to have a Kuiu with any kind of significant load anywhere near my back ever again. I carried an ALICE pack in the Marines with far heavier loads than my Kuiu ever sniffed, and can say without a doubt that the Kuiu caused me more pain than that ole girl ever did.

I genuinely hope you love your Kuiu. Lots of folks do, I'm just not one of them.

Venom One

WKR
I'll preface this by pointing out the oft repeated mantra here that pack fit is a personal thing. What works for one may not work for another. What I hate, you may love. The only way to know is to throw your money down and try some.

That said, either of those methods, or maybe even balanced on my head. It might be more comfortable to eat the burlap sack and its contents, and carry it all out in my belly, than to have a Kuiu with any kind of significant load anywhere near my back ever again. I carried an ALICE pack in the Marines with far heavier loads than my Kuiu ever sniffed, and can say without a doubt that the Kuiu caused me more pain than that ole girl ever did.

I genuinely hope you love your Kuiu. Lots of folks do, I'm just not one of them.
My post was intended for humor only and I appreciate your willingness to poke fun back. I take no offense to your dislike of cuddling with a Kuiu. :)

OP
DTime20

DTime20

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will order a kifaru, an exo, and a stone glacier and see which one fits best and then send the other two back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk