Kifaru Nomad User Reviews

beaston

FNG
One thing to keep in mind is a zipper, regardless of its "waterproofness", is not truly waterproof unless it is one of the super fancy ones and it is installed perfectly. I still shy away from those waterproof duffle bags and waders with zippers. The bag I made is made of silnylon and has a "waterproof" zipper. The problem lies in the fact that there is almost always a little gap in the end of the zipper or if it has two pulls, where the pulls meet. Sure it will shed rain and not absorb water like a regular zipper but the bag itself will most definitely leak when submerged. A dry bag has a rolled top and sealed seams (taped or otherwise) and it is designed to truly be waterproof.

Okay, so do we know if the camp bag is sealed or can it be sealed to provide protection from hiking in the rain or should I be looking into a cover.

It doesn't say that it is sealed on the description on their webpage. It only says waterproof zipper. So I would say that it is not sealed.

colonel00

WKR
That would be a question that Aron or someone else in the know could answer for sure. However, the first item in the list for the camp bag should be a clue: 500d DWR coated fabric. It is DWR coated. I am sure it will do great in a decent rain shower but DWR is not waterproof by any means. From what I understand, and I defer to Aron or anyone else that knows better, the camp bags are made of the same material as the rest of the packs. They will shed water for a while but eventually they will probably start to absorb and leak.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
[video=youtube;60Z7GJn_N6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Z7GJn_N6w&list=UU2MuOrm7wc405ckuuLYA3nw&feature=c4-overview[/video]

bandit1

FNG
Given an assumption that the planned use of this bag is to drop camp and keep hunting with your nomad in daypack mode, I would be concerned that the dwr coated 500d would not fare well in a downpour while sitting on a rock or similar. I agree about waterproof zippers and their use but I like the idea of having one for access and I'm not looking for a submerged test, just keep the stuff dry in a downpour. Obviously a true roll top dry sack like the OR one above would be a bomber solution. I just thought I'd make it better with a zipper that has a storm flap. I might make one like colonel00 made but with some 1.9 PU coated nylon instead of 1.3 silnylon. Great job by the way. I'll post photos whenever I get done with it, problem is, I have to get started before I can get finished.

colonel00

WKR
I think a camp bag would work just fine for you then if the only thing you are fearing is dropping the bag and running off hunting and it getting caught in a heavy rain. Again, it is all about how you plan to do things though. For me, unless I just happened to walk right into an animal, I would probably set up camp once I arrived and dropped the camp bag. Otherwise, if it was a spur of the moment stalk, I wouldn't be messing with trying to drop part of the bag, the whole thing would probably be dropped. In your scenario, if you do drop the camp bag to go off an hunt before you setup camp, just pull out your rain fly or have some other way to cover the bag if you think it might rain.

I can just guess at this point since I have not had a chance to test it fully, that the bag I made would probably start to leak too if left out and exposed in heavy rain. For me, at least the two big hunts I have coming up this year, the idea is to just do a push to hike in and setup camp. I don't plan to pack up camp and move it around all the time. I can still have spike camp capabilities within the pack if needed but the heavy camp stuff is going to stay put if at all possible. So really, I doubt I will ever have a fully loaded pack with a "camp bag" while I am actively hunting. *Yes I know I just jinxed myself and a monster is going to walk across the trail right in front if me*

Kifaru is coming out with a pack cover. I think you could slip the camp bag under the cover when dumping camp in a rain storm.

The camp bag is not water proof

neither is the rest of the nomad... that will be surround almost all of the dry bag and holds the stuff I really want dry like my optics, maps and other items that I need for day stuff that won't be in the camp bag. I understand the argument, but I have never ever used a dry bag or pack liner and never had a problem. My sleeping bag is in a dry stuff sack. Maybe I just get lucky with the weather, but the material seems to repel water pretty good to a point.

I have a pack cover I may start to use if I need it, then my whole pack will be covered, not just the stuff in the center.

I am NOT saying it is a bad idea to use the dry bag, I just don't see where I would PERSONALLY gain anything over it for my use.

Joe

c5mrr270

WKR
Aron, I like the video. That's how I had envisioned running the E&E with the nomad, around the wings, glad to see it will work that way.

To me the access of the dual zipper and ability to only use the amount of bag you need far outweigh the disadvantages of the set up. If it is on my back, I will protect it from rain just like I do the rest of the bag... but if I need something the zipper design will sure be nice to get it out without having to disassemble the entire set up. If its not on my pack, likely camp will be set up and I will put it in my tent, safe and sound. If I did ever decide to drop it and thought it may rain I could just put it under a tree or put a tarp or pack cover over it.

For ME and maybe only ME, it will HOPEFULLY be just what I want. Who knows, the fact of the matter is that really none of us have enough testing with this bag to know what we want/like/dislike just yet.

JOe

So I got the nomad out these last couple weekends and I am impressed. I was a bit skeptical at first about how I would like the bat wing design but I like it a lot.

I attached two large belt pockets under the wings, and a medium 5 string stuff sack below the nomad held by a grab it II. Inside the sack was my sleep system which includes an sl2, thermarest sleeping pad, rev x quilt , and pillow. I took my bow along and carried it using the grab it and standard top lid.

I'm not going to write a novel about all of my thoughts, but I really like how many options this pack has. There are countless ways to set it up depending on what accessories you already have. Kifaru def did good with this pack. Now time to get some blood on this thing.

Here are a couple pics, I was hopin to find some sheds and scout for turkey this weekend but found 2 feet of snow instead haha, fun time still though

duva3uqa.jpg

rety2ary.jpg

y6e3ama6.jpg

ry5ybe7e.jpg

Just received my nomad and was wondering how you guys are hanging your water bladders? I don't want to do the whole wing approach, because weight won't be evenly dispersed as the water load is drank.

bbrown

WKR
Just received my nomad and was wondering how you guys are hanging your water bladders? I don't want to do the whole wing approach, because weight won't be evenly dispersed as the water load is drank.

What Aron said - I have been messing with sliding the bladder behind the 2 med pouches I have mounted on the back. Works great with my 100oz old style Camelback (17"L x 6"W x @2" D). A 3L Platy big zip is a bit tighter but still fits - I am tempted to pick up a 2L and it should fit perfect.

dotman

WKR
What Aron said - I have been messing with sliding the bladder behind the 2 med pouches I have mounted on the back. Works great with my 100oz old style Camelback (17"L x 6"W x @2" D). A 3L Platy big zip is a bit tighter but still fits - I am tempted to pick up a 2L and it should fit perfect.

I did that exactly with my bladder, fits great. I put a 2L MSR under the two med pockets and tied it off on the center loop. My quick attach fitting comes out right at the hydration port.