Kifaru slick bag?

*zap*

WKR
Ok, so for a synthetic bag it seems to me that these bags are fairly expensive. 0° long wide is like $565, I think.... So, who owns them and can say that it is worth the price and why. Thanks in advance.

I had a zero degree Slik bag and froze my ass off at 30+ degrees wearing base layers and on a 5+ R rated pad. I like quite a bit of Kifaru gear but I'm 100% never using their sleeping bag ever again.

My 20* slick bag has been good to me. TBH I think I like the fit as much as performance. I am a big guy with big shoulders and it is tough to get enough room And My long wide does the trick.

warmth is subjective. I sleep warm. Mine just punched above its weight and kept me warm to ~10* in a bora bivy and with some layers and a beanie.

my gripes are that it is relatively heavy and bulky. A full length zip would be good too.

As far as price, I think they have that “made in the USA“ premium that may or may not matter for you. I got mine on sale for $325 a couple of years ago and so far think it is a good value. If I was in the market for 0* bag I would be thinking down and probably western mountaineering.

Ok, so for a synthetic bag it seems to me that these bags are fairly expensive. 0° long wide is like $565, I think.... So, who owns them and can say that it is worth the price and why. Thanks in advance.
Zap I have one if you want to see it, 20d. But I'm planning on adding a western mountaineering bag to the mix, want a zero bag or warmer

WKR
I have a 1st gen model. It was never warm, as a 20 degree bag. Under 40 and I was cold in it. Have a couple of 2nd gen 0 degree bags, long and wide. They seem much better. They are a bit bulky and heavy though.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Zap I have one if you want to see it, 20d. But I'm planning on adding a western mountaineering bag to the mix, want a zero bag or warmer

Thanks, Corey. I saw that hanging in your gear room when I picked up the stove...I think I am not interested in one after a few of the comments...that is alot of $.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I would like to find a center zip 0° bag so my terrier can fit inside easily....I roll around a bit. I want a synthetic bag for when I am not packing in far. My wiggys is OK but it is a side zip.

jacob95

FNG
I would like to find a center zip 0° bag so my terrier can fit inside easily....I roll around a bit. I want a synthetic bag for when I am not packing in far. My wiggys is OK but it is a side zip.
Outdoor Vitals has a sale going on right now

geoff995

WKR
I had one and promptly sold it. I slept very cold in the 0 degree slick. I replaced it with a 10 degree quilt which is considerably warmer and less bulky. I know your not looking at quilts, I was just giving my experience with the slick bags

Last edited:

jacob95

FNG
Not yet Zao but I’ve got one on the way. For that sale price worst comes to worst if it’s not great it can stay in the truck as a backup for emergency.
Any personal experience with their center zip bags?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I don’t see a need for a synthetic bag. My GWS western mountaneering has never once had the down get wet in tons of nasty storms.

What is the application for using a synthetic bag?

Blandry

WKR
I think the slick bag is rated for survival not so much for comfort. Also you can get in it soaking wet even with boots on, and dry out while you sleep.

I always take my boots off at the least and with the new treated down it's really obsolete now.

I also get really cold in 20 temps with their zero bag, colder than I'd ever been in a modern zero bag.

I feel their bag ratings are comfort ratings. Im a cold sleeper and took my 0* slick bag to 3* one night in only base layers and was cozy. I fear anyone saying they froze at 30* in one was using a sub par sleeping pad. If its above 20* I sweat my ass off in it. This, the size and room ( im 6’4 and have room to spare in the long), durability, and ability to dry yourself inside is why I think its worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blandry

WKR
I was on a platform in a shelter and it got <20 deg indoors. I was cold wearing baselayers and wool socks in the slick 0deg.

My 0 rated down stone glacier chilkoot bag.. no comparison.