Kifaru Slick bag

Hey Guys,
I need some sleeping bag advice. I am getting into backpack hunting and am trying to get everything set up for hunting the 2017 season up here in Eastern WA and Northern ID. I have been watching everything I can on YouTube and forums to educate myself on the best gear I can get for my budget. I am down to a few items and one of them is a sleeping bag. I am 6'1" and I weigh in at just over 250lbs. I am big but it is spread all over so it is not in the belly. I am a side sleeper and sleep on the warmer side. After watching all of the Gritty Bowman podcasts and hearing Aaron's view on the Slick bag, that is what I am leaning towards. However, I would be open to other suggestions. I am set on synthetic just because it can get wet in this area, and I would much rather carry a little weight than have a bag with no heat. I will be going with the wide version but would like to know if for my height, I should get the tall as well? I like the idea of being able to get in boots and all if needed or for glassing. The next question is temp rating. Would it be best to get the 20 degree and just add a liner or a woobie for really cold hunts, or would it make sense to get a 0 or -20 and not have to worry about it? The rest of my sleep system is a Thermarest Xtherm, a Sea to Summit pillow and a Kuiu Mountain Star 2P. Any advise on this is appreciated. If you have another bag selection, my second most important factor after fit is going to be durability.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'2" and I have the standard length 0 degree bag. I can sit up in it fine but it's probably tight with boots on. I'm also skinny so I might have more extra bag material to work with.

welpro222

WKR
I have a regular wide center zip model slick bag and love it. Its one of the few pieces of gear that I don't want to go light weight on, since we see some pretty wet conditions here in Washington.

Rizzy

WKR
I've been using the old side zip model for 5 years, it's the only piece of gear I have kept and used that long. I don't worry about it either, it's durable and breathable. These are qualitys that far out weight the 3 pounds of carry weight for my oct-nov hunts. For the sept elk hunts a 30 degree down bag is about half the weight and will work great 85% of the time here, but it's way down on the list of priority gear to get for me ;)

At 6', 240# I have plenty of room in my 20* regular length wide width center zip Slick bag. Bought the 20 for more year round use. If I anticipate colder temps I'll throw my Woobie inside. Works like a champ and gives me options to run in all temps.

molon labe, mrbill

Derek0525

WKR
I'm 6'1 and 230 I have a *20 standard length and width the length is fine the width is ok if I did it again I would get a wide. As far as warmth I'm a hot sleeper so you might be different I usually end up unzipping the center a bit to cool off I would say it is true to temp if not more but a good R rated sleeping pad will make a big difference. I used mine in a Hammock with one of those thermarest roll up pads and it got down to the 20's and I woke up sweating a couple times.

Whip

WKR
I'm trying to make the same decision myself and a Slick bag is high on the list. I'm also considering a quilt, but worry about durability. At 6'3" I will for sure end up with a long of whatever I buy.

I just went to the same setup bill brown did. Kifaru 20 degree center zip and a woobie if needed to boost temps. The woobie is so versatile to have around. Makes a great setup

Does anybody know if Kifaru has the ability to custom make a slick bag that is wider than the "wide" option? I am 6'0 280 lbs. and am broad shouldered. I would like to get a 20* regular/wide slick bag but have heard that it can be tight for bigger guys like myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the old side zip model for 5 years, it's the only piece of gear I have kept and used that long. I don't worry about it either, it's durable and breathable. These are qualitys that far out weight the 3 pounds of carry weight for my oct-nov hunts. For the sept elk hunts a 30 degree down bag is about half the weight and will work great 85% of the time here, but it's way down on the list of priority gear to get for me ;)

cody6510

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'1", 185. I have a regular length and width 0 degree. As others have said, it would be a little tight in this bag with boots on. Regular width was the way for me. I ordered a wide originally and had way to much extra room for what I like. Exchanged it for a regular and have no complaints. Awesome bag, used mine on an Idaho hunt this year with shit weather and it stayed bone dry and kept me plenty warm. I will be ordering a 20 degree as well for my bow hunts.