Kitchen Cabinets

Any pointers on some good value cabinets? Nothing too fancy. Looking at a painted shaker style. See prices all over. I will be installing most likely. Thanks in advance!

Weldor

WKR
Try to find a local cabinet shop or distributor. I found mine at a show room, all real wood no melamine. Got the whole kitchen and both bath's for wholesale. They were discontinuing that line. Year end is the best time to look. They don't want to carry over inventory.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I echo what others have said on using a local wholesaler, it was much cheaper than going through HD or Lowes which felt "marked up, to mark down". Even at sale prices, I'm saving a ton using a wholesaler. A few things I've learned about the cabinet process as I'm going through my own remodel currently:
  • Consider drawers in base cabinets vs. a swing door
  • All the "options" and organizers are very expensive and can be purchase separately or built for a fraction.
  • Less is more. The more cabinet "boxes" you have the more expensive it will be, regardless of size. Seems intuitive, but if you have a 36" space to fill, put a 36" cabinet in vs. two 18" cabinets. The price difference was shocking, at least to me.
Lowes has free kitchen design FYI.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Talk to local cabinet shops or carpenters and see if they have any kitchen remodels coming up.

Somebody wanted to upgrade to a more "modern" kitchen and had these real maple hardwood custom cabinets to remove. A buddy and I spent about 3 hours carefully removing them and then wrapping and strapping them in the horse trailer.

I ended up building my old houses' kitchen with those cabinets a few months later. Just cleaned them up and made whatever modifications needed to make them work in the space. Got them for free.

cabinets.JPG

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Talk to local cabinet shops or carpenters and see if they have any kitchen remodels coming up.

Somebody wanted to upgrade to a more "modern" kitchen and had these real maple hardwood custom cabinets to remove. A buddy and I spent about 3 hours carefully removing them and then wrapping and strapping them in the horse trailer.

I ended up building my old houses' kitchen with those cabinets a few months later. Just cleaned them up and made whatever modifications needed to make them work in the space. Got them for free.

View attachment 662786
That is a really clever idea, well done! Curious, did you know the person doing the new cabinet install? I'm wondering how a contractor would react if someone reached out asking to go to a clients home and take cabinets down.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That is a really clever idea, well done! Curious, did you know the person doing the new cabinet install? I'm wondering how a contractor would react if someone reached out asking to go to a clients home and take cabinets down.
I knew the contractor putting in the new kitchen, through a friend who did some work for him. He didn’t care at all. One less thing for him to demo.