Knee surgery is in my future

260madman

WKR
My tib and fib are finally healing and had MRI done. The report came back and states: 1)Torn posterior horn of medial meniscus. 2)chondromalacia patella.

Looks like I’ll be having more quality time in my recliner soon and a lot more PT in my future. My back pain is probably around a 3 so I can start using a little more weight than the 5# I’m restricted to. Going to order some dumbbells and hand strengthening tools.

I’ve already informed the doc that I’m rifle hunting this year no matter what and to plan accordingly. If I have to cheat and get a disabled permit I will.

Who here has had this done at middle age and how did it turn out. I’m 45 and it’s my first significant injury and always took care of myself. Strong back before this happened so I hope I recover from the fractured vertebrae.

Backyard

WKR
Im 56. Had a torn meniscus repaired last year in Feb, was hunting elk in Sept. Unfortunately, and unrelated to that, on my first day, I completely tore my medial femoral patella ligament and had to be rescued off the mtn.
Had that repaired with a cadaver ligament and am currently planning my hunt for this season. There is some arthritis now and a little pain but nothing that can’t be dealt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smohon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 45. Had torn meniscus that I tried to tolerate for 6 months. Had knee scoped in February, and was running 3 weeks later. Knee has never felt better. Can't wait to get into the mountains.

• Banned
OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
I'm 45. Had torn meniscus that I tried to tolerate for 6 months. Had knee scoped in February, and was running 3 weeks later. Knee has never felt better. Can't wait to get into the mountains.

Sounds like they cleaned you up because the tear was in the middle of the meniscus? I’ll be non weight bearing for 6 weeks or more.

I think a career change will be in my future.

Marble

WKR
I'm younger but have had some major surgeries. I've learned to go and source a doctor that is anedpert in the surgery they are doing. Going to a large city with a learning school that has a large sports medicine department. Something that has specific protocol.

Then do PT like your life depends on it. Because it does. If you push it after surgery you may regret it forever.

• Banned
OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
Luckily I have Mayo Clinic for a system. Rochester isn’t too far from me and that’s where I’ll request to go for surgery. I don’t want the doc to be miffed but it’s my future earnings at stake not hers.

My PT is Sports Medicine. She really focuses and pushes me on strength and flexibility. I’m betting she throttles back a bit after she reads my report tomorrow morning when I go in.

Fullfan

WKR
Okay you asked. At 53 I was involved in a vehicle crash where my right leg, knee and foot were destroyed. Including a broken hip and pelvis. My right femur went through my knee creating a compound fracture of both my femur and my knee. I destroyed every ligament in my knee. Spent 6 weeks in the hospital, then 8 months confined to a hospital bed and wheel chair. Walked with crutches and then a cane. Had a full knee replacement done 15 moths after the crash.

14 days after my knee replacement I killed a gobbler in the spring, and 5 months later I was in Idaho chasing bulls. Trust me it was not an easy task to get back 75% of what I was once able to do.

I only have 90 deg of flexibility in my right knee, that makes things like climbing stairs a task. I can no longer go straight up or straight down the mountains. Everything up and down I have to do at a 45.

No matter what you go through, having a positive attitude and a no quit spirit it the way to go.
This will just be a speed bump for you. Charge into everything you do because life it to short not to do the things we enjoy.knee.JPG

danarnold

WKR
I had both acl's done years ago with donor ligaments, feb of this year @52 had bilateral knee replacement and def will be archery elk and deer hunting this year.
my opinion is to get as strong and flexible as possible pre surgery, do more than your prescribed therapy .
good luck

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Finally had both knees replaced after multiple surgeries that included replacement of both ACLs and blowouts of the replacements. Had one done in 2014 and one in 2018. Also have torn both achilles. Despite the surgeries and my age (66) I have yet to miss an archery elk season. I just stay active and work towards it. As one other posts above noted 'just a bump in the road'. I might add the PT is critical following surgery. My physical therapist is an archery elk hunter so he knows what my physical goals are and how to get me there. Stay positive, follow your surgeon's advice (as much as you can anyway) and do the PT religiously.

I ruptured an achilles tendon in my right foot several years ago. I had partially torn it when I twisted my ankle and never went to the doctor. About 6 months later it tore completely in two. It's doing fine now. I should have listened to my foot sooner that something wasn't right.

Tore my patella tendon in my left knee. It completely snapped in two. I did the PT after surgery and it's doing fine. My left knee had been bothering me though and I finally went back in to see the doctor after a few years as the pain just never went away. I just had last year total left knee replacement surgery. I'm glad that I did it. I had the surgery in June and was archery hunting in September. I did a few days that were 10-12 miles but I did not push my knee or go too fast making sure I kept an eye on it and listened to how it felt. I continued hunting through rifle season and in some good snow conditions. Again I hunted slower and made sure where I was climbing and walking in some mountainous terrain. My knee survived as did I. I'm glad I had it done and I've been hiking every day getting ready for this falls hunts.

Best of luck on your surgery and do what the PT folks tell you to do. A stationary bike is also a good investment to make as it's really low impact on your knee and is a great workout for mobility and getting it flexible and strong again. You see those used in adds in the paper all the time.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey 260
Son had both knees replaced in May a couple years ago and we hunted elk in Mont. that fall. Tons of walking and not on the flats, I've had both hips replaced and as long as you do your treatments and walking you should be good to go but that's just - my .02
Good Luck with your surgery
Hhardrock

OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
Just like the old saying “no matter how bad you have it someone else is worse off”. Glad you guys bounced back. My 12 weeks (so far) is nothing compared to some of you. I’m really bored. I can drive across town to PT and that’s it. There’s a reason I didn’t call Cameraland for a spotter. Glad I didn’t so far, maybe next summer.

speters

FNG
Tore my ACL and meniscus in April of 2017. Hunted back country elk in September of that year. Knee slipped and gave out the entire trip. Went in on October 15, 2017 for surgery. It's a long recovery road. I can jog now and feel pretty comfortable hiking. It's been hard work getting back into fighting shape. Hoping to be 80% by November.

RCL

WKR
Torn meniscus repaired at 55. Did my rehab as prescribed and was back running ultramarathons in a little over six months. Very slow and careful though.
That was years ago and still running 35 to 40 miles per week.

OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
I see the surgeon in 11 days. Sports medicine focus. My PT says she’ll have me back climbing stairs in about 3 months after surgery. Part of my job requires me to climb a lot of stairs with a backpack full of tools at about 50#. Then there’s all the climbing on heavy equipment for services and repairs.

You start telling the medical people what your job entails and they’re just baffled that there’s so much to it and you’re not sitting down and working on something all day long.

I had an ACL/LCL surgery about 5 years ago as a result of a spectacular skiing crash on my 34th birthday no less. Torn medial and lateral meniscus and fractured tibial plateau which required a microfracture procedure. I was no weight bearing for 3 months on the old right leg, but on the bright side I was committed to my rehab because I had a good elk tag for the following fall. I was in the best shape of my adult life after all the physical therapy! I had always been a rifle hunter but I was interested in getting into early season hunting so I bought a new muzzle loader and started learning how to shoot it. I couldn't do much those first few months but I sure as hell could sit at a bench and shoot a gun all day. That was a lot of fun, and that sent me over the edge into archery a couple years later.

rob86jeep

WKR
Just had ACL & MCL reconstruction surgery a week ago. I had a hunt planned for Nov that I'm sure I won't be able to make now. I feel like if I tore my knee up a month or two earlier I would have been better off, lol. I'm just hoping that I fully recover so I won't have reoccurring issues later in life.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey 260, Just another .02,
The boy had both knees done in march and in June we built and roofed a shed. Then in Nov we elk hunted in Mont. so look up and get it done, you'll be a new man,maybe lol

JGRaider

WKR
I was diagnosed with torn meniscus and chondromalacia back in 1989, after a 5 yr minor league baseball career behind the plate. Have the first two of 5 surgeries then, that latter 3 in increments over the last 25 years. I finally had both knees replaced two Summers ago and now live a life free of knee pain for the first time in 30 years. The arthroscopes are easy compared to the TKR's, which are pretty brutal the first couple of weeks of PT, but they got better quickly. Good luck to you.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Okay you asked. At 53 I was involved in a vehicle crash where my right leg, knee and foot were destroyed. Including a broken hip and pelvis. My right femur went through my knee creating a compound fracture of both my femur and my knee. I destroyed every ligament in my knee. Spent 6 weeks in the hospital, then 8 months confined to a hospital bed and wheel chair. Walked with crutches and then a cane. Had a full knee replacement done 15 moths after the crash.

14 days after my knee replacement I killed a gobbler in the spring, and 5 months later I was in Idaho chasing bulls. Trust me it was not an easy task to get back 75% of what I was once able to do.

I only have 90 deg of flexibility in my right knee, that makes things like climbing stairs a task. I can no longer go straight up or straight down the mountains. Everything up and down I have to do at a 45.

No matter what you go through, having a positive attitude and a no quit spirit it the way to go.
This will just be a speed bump for you. Charge into everything you do because life it to short not to do the things we enjoy.View attachment 112378
Wow that looks like it hurts so bad. how are you feeling today ?