Knees!!

4rcgoat

WKR
Looking for some tips on dealing with knee issues and I figure there's no better place than visiting with you Western studs that can put the miles on in mountain country.

I'm only 35, 6-0, 175. Above average fitness. Carpenter. The last couple years elk hunting, I feel I'm in great shape, but after an 8-10 mile day, will randomly have a knee just go to hell. Done. Flared up. Usually better by the next morning though. Last year when it gave up, I was several miles and several thousand feet elevation change from camp. Brutal.

Swore I'd have stronger legs this year to avoid that, but with 2 months to go, and both knees feeling "tweaked" from time to time, I'm getting nervous! I hiked just over 8 miles yesterday through some pretty steep canyons with a 60 lbs pack, and felt good, but knees still don't feel strong. I'm determined to get a handle on this before September!
Any tips from fellow hunters who've no doubt dealt with something similar? Preferably something other than "suck it up, you're getting old!"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I too am a carpenter going on 22 years,welcome to the world of suck. 41 this year 5' 11" and 185. Never had knee pain until last year after a summer of trying interval sprints,never again. I agree with everyone saying drop the weight in your pack. This year its a lot of climbing without much weight and working on hip mobility and core & lower back strength. Knee has gotten better but not 100%, gotta explore every option. Good luck to you this year.

OP
B
I too am a carpenter going on 22 years,welcome to the world of suck. 41 this year 5' 11" and 185. Never had knee pain until last year after a summer of trying interval sprints,never again. I agree with everyone saying drop the weight in your pack. This year its a lot of climbing without much weight and working on hip mobility and core & lower back strength. Knee has gotten better but not 100%, gotta explore every option. Good luck to you this year.
Suck, it does! If i didn't own the company, I'd move on and be a banker or dentist or something 😂. I will for sure be lightening my pack weight from here on out. Good luck to you as well!

Thank you all for the advice/wisdom!

P Carter

WKR
Go see a good physical therapist.
They are usually very good and exercises to strengthen those stabilizing muscles around joints. Will give you some theraband exercises that will make those small muscles scream. I had some ankle pain this year (33) after running mountain ultramarathons the last few years. Those band exercises for my hips and calves were brutal. How can you can run mountains so much yet have such weak hips and calves, I don't know. I bet a good PT will zero in on your weaknesses and really help you out.

In any case, those are my two cents.

Is he a hunter? :)

Haha.... honestly it's not for everyone. I fully understand the suspicion. I fought the idea of it for years. At age 30 I didn't think I'd ever run another mile. I spent a lot of my 20's & early 30's in hooks/spurs and a flip rope. Climbing made my knees and hips so bad I was constantly taking something either prescribed or otc to manage pain. Finally later on I conceded to my wife's request and met up with a chiro well versed in nutrition and holistic supplements. Literally changed my quality of life. I don't really climb anymore but still cut plenty. I am able to run 5 days a week though.

It is a weird feeling pulling a ram 5500 into a parking lot full of Prius's with coexist stickers but our desired end result is all the same

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How heavy are your work boots? I'm sure with your trade you might have some safety requirements but look for carbon not steel toes, synthetic not leather. Just walking in heavy boots will strain knees.

All great advise here, a few I swear by from personal experience is.... Trekking poles, compression band, light weight boots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Don't overlook tight muscles in your calves, thighs and hips. If some are tight and basically non-functional, your joint isn't going to be moving properly. Find yourself a deep tissue massage therapist (no warm rocks or scented candles) and see if that'll help you. I had a painful right knee that massage therapy has made a non-issue.

Be warned you will leave a deep tissue massages feeling MUCH worse than when you went in. I used to do them frequently when I was really into Crossfit. They do help a great deal though, but it is a painful medicine to take...

Joint Juice- look it up. I buy it by the case and drink it the whole month I train for my mountain backpack trips. Awesome results.

Get excited!

johnsd16

WKR
Consider trying a joint suppliment for a couple of months to see if it helps. A good quality glucosamine and chondroitin like osteobiflex can possibly help. It sounds like it could be a muscle issue though with how it takes some time. Some good dynamic resistance training with a good stretching program is probably a good idea. Copper knee sleeves may also be helpful for trips/training.

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
After doing jiu-Jitsu and working out hard for years the only thing that helps is a clean diet and supplementation with a quality fish oil. I was on a daily regimen of ibuprofen for years and while that helped with pain it did nothing to solve the real issue, inflammation. Quitting ibuprofen and starting a heavy daily dose of fish oil made a noticeable change in my joint health in only a week. Cannot recommend it more highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Where is the pain in your knees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
B
Have never experienced knee pain through carpentry/hunting/hiking until last year when I decided to "get into elk hunting shape" lol. Go figure.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Outside of right knee might be an IT band. Look it up, there are several different ways to stretch those out. not sure on inside of left knee. Speaking of left knees, I twisted mine last Tuesday and finally on Thursday went to the Dr and got a bunch of fluid drained out of it because it was so swollen.

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
Go see a good physical therapist.
They are usually very good and exercises to strengthen those stabilizing muscles around joints. Will give you some theraband exercises that will make those small muscles scream. I had some ankle pain this year (33) after running mountain ultramarathons the last few years. Those band exercises for my hips and calves were brutal. How can you can run mountains so much yet have such weak hips and calves, I don't know. I bet a good PT will zero in on your weaknesses and really help you out.

In any case, those are my two cents.

Best advise yet. I'm 30 with knee pain in the outside of my left knee at about 3-4 mile range. Went to the PT and found out its because I have weak muscles, so it causes my knee not to bend correctly. This is causing griding in my knee. I now have my knee and ham string tapped and I have exercises to do daily.

Thanks,
Boswell

I had complete knee reconstruction at 10 years old. Then blew both knees out at 16. I have always had knee pain and just lived with it. The only two things that help are not skipping leg day and taking protandim. Don't lift heavy and keep good form. The protandim is all natural and amazing. Good luck

sneaky

"DADDY"
Haven't read through the whole thread yet, but cut back on gluten, legumes, and other inflammatory foods. Omega 3s help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

steve s

Lil-Rokslider
Find a "good" PT. OCS or SCS (ortho or sport certified) credentials are a good start or ask your doc who they would go to. Be a little cautious if the doc sends you to an in-house clinic they own. Most good PTs end up starting their own practice. Shoot me a pm if you need help finding a quality PT. Like anything, lots of variation in training and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
Glucosamine is a good suggesting. I take 5 a day. Without it my knees and hips kill me and I could never hunt. With it i'm almost painless. Actually, I am painless until the end of the day, but i'm ready to go again the next day.