Kodiak bear count down

T-minus 19 days until drop zone for Kodiak bear and black tails.

We’re used to packing for remote drop hunts, but this one is a little different.
On our hunts in general, we either go ultralight (sheep, Super Cubs, limit 50# each), or we boat out to moose camp, or we truck out to caribou lands. Occasionally it’s a fly-out for caribou, but usually truck and ATVs.

This is a weird hybrid. We are gathering a load to take to air cargo next week that includes an inflatable boat and motor. This will be palletized and stored at the transporter’s place until we arrive. We will bring with us on the plane from Anchorage the rest of our gear. Luckily being Alaska residents and Club 49 members we get 3 checked bags. But there is such a thing as bringing too much sh……

Any advice or insight is appreciated. Or just pat me on the back, stroke my head, and tell me it will be ok, while refilling my glass. I’m a chick, it’s ok (well, I’m older, so I’m kind of a chick).
It’s going to be a long 3-day weekend starting tomorrow morning. I need you.IMG_3659.jpeg

OP
Greyinggrayling
No specific concerns, just feeling lost. Like I’m missing something significant.
I welcome any questions, stories critiques, how you lost your right big toe, etc…
Folks who have used air cargo, Beavers, this type of trip.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Jealous non resident here but I’ll be right behind you next month for deer.

Since the boat and motor are involved, how about big rubber gloves to go over wool liners for those rides and dealing with wet lines. Extra rope for trying off the raft; and don’t forget about the tides when parking that inflatable. How about a good patch kit for the boat as well? Shear pins for the prop? Spare spark plug and wrench? Something to bail out the boat?

OP
Greyinggrayling
Jealous non resident here but I’ll be right behind you next month for deer.

Since the boat and motor are involved, how about big rubber gloves to go over wool liners for those rides and dealing with wet lines. Extra rope for trying off the raft; and don’t forget about the tides when parking that inflatable. How about a good patch kit for the boat as well? Shear pins for the prop? Spare spark plug and wrench? Something to bail out the boat?
Husband is in charge of the boat and motor. This helps me be in charge of the husband. I will put these on the must-have list if not on there already.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Limit yourself to two checked bags each. Pack like you are sheep hunting, though if you NEED something a little heavier, of course bring it.

Give yourself a 10 pound allowance for wants (camp chair, Etc.).

If you can, pack a few things to be left with the transporter so you can be comfortable if weather keeps you from leaving Kodiak for a day or two.

I have yet to regret being light and mobile, I frequently regret having to deal with stuff I don't need. That holds true in the mountains, with international travel, or just flying home. It always amazes me how little I actually need day to day and how much crap the what-if fairy likes to take along.

OP
Greyinggrayling
Limit yourself to two checked bags each. Pack like you are sheep hunting, though if you NEED something a little heavier, of course bring it.

Give yourself a 10 pound allowance for wants (camp chair, Etc.).

If you can, pack a few things to be left with the transporter so you can be comfortable if weather keeps you from leaving Kodiak for a day or two.

I have yet to regret being light and mobile, I frequently regret having to deal with stuff I don't need. That holds true in the mountains, with international travel, or just flying home. It always amazes me how little I actually need day to day and how much crap the what-if fairy likes to take along.
-I- am the what-if fairy on new trips like this. I overpack food, first aid supplies, etc. I think you are right, go with my sheep list, which I have dialed in beautifully.

There are three of us on this trip. We have our weight limits per person after the community stuff like boat, fuel, salt, food, and tents are accounted for, so to each his own. Don’t look in my box and I won’t look in yours. Dems da rules.
But on this trip I do want my luggable loo. I will forgo the hoop earrings.

OP
Greyinggrayling
What tent are you taking?
We are taking three tents:
Cook tent and hang-out since days are short: SO Courthouse.
Sleeping tents: North Face Mountain 25 for the single guy and North Face Evolution 45 for me/hubbie.

This will be a trial by fire for the Courthouse. I have enough tie downs for a Macy’s parade and great stakes, so durability will come down to the tent itself.
Where we are going, wind is going to funnel, so it will be interesting!

Our sleeping tent selection took a lot of thought since we have several great tents in our possession. We considered the Barney’s bomb shelter (window is cracked on the fly, needs replaced) and the Cabelas Guide Tent, but weight was adding up quick just on tents alone. Our two old North Face tents we freshly seam sealed this summer and are in good condition. Just added a waterproofing treatment and now are good as new.

We were there in September deer hunting and saw several bears on our hunt, a machete or something would’ve been handy for hacking out a place to set our tents, and a bottle of pain pills were much appreciated for some injured knees

IMG_3750.jpeg
IMG_5196.jpeg
IMG_5139.jpeg

OP
Greyinggrayling

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
wish you the best hunting time. do not forget to note somewhere what you do not use and make sure you do not need at all. it will reduce the weight amount for the next trip. or at least pretend to do so lol we were overpacked this year but i was glad as the weather was so pourly rainy ... my wife is doing like you and be in charge of me lol ...

OP
Greyinggrayling
wish you the best hunting time. do not forget to note somewhere what you do not use and make sure you do not need at all. it will reduce the weight amount for the next trip. or at least pretend to do so lol we were overpacked this year but i was glad as the weather was so pourly rainy ... my wife is doing like you and be in charge of me lol ...
Do I need the pop-up toilet privy….🤔

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Do I need the pop-up toilet privy….🤔
Well, you could set it up inside a bear fence and have less chance of being munched on while peeing.

Edit: on a side note my wife likes a shewee. But practice with it before using it in the field.

OP
Greyinggrayling
I know a pop up potty sounds like an unnecessary luxury, and normally it would be. But in this case, the sun will go about 5:30pm and will rise about 9am. The area we will be camping has a limited amount of flat land. Hunting for good potty spots and digging holes in the dark on inclines will be a challenge.
Placing the potty in the corner of camp may actually be the most prudent thing to do. I have bio bags that can be buried daily in the daylight. Total weight is less than 10lbs.
Thoughts?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, I prefer the thrill of wondering if I will die while literally being caught with my pants around my ankles. Prudent would be to bring it, particularly if you have a bear fence and will not be moving camp frequently.

Thrilling is to messily eat supper, than wonder out into the dark. While I usually poo daily at home, tht kind of thrilling is enough to make me hold it for a day or two. Obviously, for some people that is not an option for various reasons.