Kodiak bear count down

OP
Greyinggrayling
Bears don’t normally concern me.
But there’s camping with bears, camping with Bears, and camping with BEARS.
This is our first time with the latter. So, I am taking a few more precautions than normal.
Such as packing a trauma kit instead of a first aid kit.
And considering a pop-a-potty.
Now I just have to sell the idea to the other two in the hunting party.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
So I am assuming you are taking a bear fence. What kind are you using, and why that one as opposed to others? Asking because I will be hunting in grizzly territory next year and I don’t currently have a bear fence.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So I am assuming you are taking a bear fence. What kind are you using, and why that one as opposed to others? Asking because I will be hunting in grizzly territory next year and I don’t currently have a bear fence.
In most cases, I would not bother. I hunt costal and interior AK and don't bring one. I have a UDAP bear fence, but have yet to use it. Don't think there is anywhere in the Lower 48 I would bother.

On Kodiak I would probably use it.

OP
Greyinggrayling
Yes taking a bear fence.
We are taking the UDAP Outfitter bear fence. We have both sizes, the regular and the Outfitter. This one has a larger perimeter and a taller fence. With a larger hunting party and taller bears, this one makes more sense.
Some people make their own bear fence, which works fine and can deliver more of a jolt if you want. Ours is ready to go since we don’t have time to build our own this year.
Info below. Don’t believe the battery longevity, bring extra batteries.

Outfitter: “The fence encloses a 45-ft. x 45-ft. area. It's easy to carry at just 5.9 lbs. with batteries and fits into a 25"L x 8"W storage bag. Runs continuously for up to five weeks on two D batteries (not included). Easy setup and operation. Includes energizer, eight 4-ft. posts that break down, three 180-ft. electrical wires, role of flagging tape, hot wire, ground wire, ground stake, storage bag and how-to DVD. Made in USA.
Wt: 5.9 lbs. with batteries.”

Regular size: “The fence encloses a 27'L x 27'W area. It's easy to carry at just 3.7 lbs. and fits into a 5" x 20" storage bag. Runs continuously for approximately five weeks on 2 D batteries. Three convenient gate hooks are included for easy access. Easy setup and operation. 32-page bear-safety booklet also included.”
(Posts are 3 ft tall)

Edit to add: we don’t normally camp with a bear fence either, only certain areas of Alaska. This is certainly the place to have one, especially in the hyperphagia time of year. But mainly wanted to add a bear fence is NEVER a replacement for maintaining a clean camp and smart food and trash storage choices. A bear will easily walk right through a fence if it wants to.

Last edited:
If you need to check 3 bags, put your rifle as the “standby” bag. It will fly. I’d prefer spending and extra $100 in cargo down and limit checked bags to 2. Can always check the third home to save a little $ then.

Running slim on daylight means lots of sitting around, don’t forget the chairs!

You heating the court house? I’d personally bring along a Mr. buddy and propane. Keep it simple. 5lbs of propane goes a LONG ways! Spend the short days hunting and not gathering firewood. No reason to be farting around with the bears after dark gathering wood. (I’d personally bring an AO either as community tent or big sleeper, but they’re not cheap). The AO Nunatak would be a perfect and light community/cook tent to dry gear and then you’d also have your bomb shelters to sleep in.

You mentioned salt. Have you got clear directions from your taxidermist? Fleshing a fatty bear that’s been salted is a world class pain in the ass. Salt is great if you’re fleshing in the field or just going to turn face/paws and salt.

We’re typically around 800# underweight when flying in for moose. That includes a raft, an 80# tent, and sufficient after dinner beverages. And our camp is very comfortable. Most people bring way too much crap. I could send you my moose list if you’d like. We’ve got it pretty dialed.

Don’t forget the life jackets.

OP
Greyinggrayling
If you need to check 3 bags, put your rifle as the “standby” bag. It will fly. I’d prefer spending and extra $100 in cargo down and limit checked bags to 2. Can always check the third home to save a little $ then.

Running slim on daylight means lots of sitting around, don’t forget the chairs!

You heating the court house? I’d personally bring along a Mr. buddy and propane. Keep it simple. 5lbs of propane goes a LONG ways! Spend the short days hunting and not gathering firewood. No reason to be farting around with the bears after dark gathering wood. (I’d personally bring an AO either as community tent or big sleeper, but they’re not cheap). The AO Nunatak would be a perfect and light community/cook tent to dry gear and then you’d also have your bomb shelters to sleep in.

You mentioned salt. Have you got clear directions from your taxidermist? Fleshing a fatty bear that’s been salted is a world class pain in the ass. Salt is great if you’re fleshing in the field or just going to turn face/paws and salt.

We’re typically around 800# underweight when flying in for moose. That includes a raft, an 80# tent, and sufficient after dinner beverages. And our camp is very comfortable. Most people bring way too much crap. I could send you my moose list if you’d like. We’ve got it pretty dialed.

Don’t forget the life jackets.
Check on the Mr Buddy and a gas line to a propane tank. Too wet to try to burn wood.
We’re back and forth about the salt. It’s a party tag on the bears, so I shoot a bear early, we stay in the field potentially up to 12 more days filling the other tag, plus up to 7 deer (2 res hunters, 1 NR). Asking about salt is like asking about best rifle caliber.
Yes I could use your moose list! Would definitely help for cross checking.

Rowsdower

FNG
Sounds like you're pretty well set. I'll be flying out the 22nd for my 13th trip to Kodiak. My 18 yo son has a brown bear tag and this will be his 1st time to Kodiak, going to be an adventure for sure!

I always take 2 bear fences, 1 for tent and 1 for the meat pole. Last thing you want to come back to after a long wet day in the field is a your camp destroyed. On Kodiak it's more than an inconvenience, its a safety concern. I've done meat with and without a fence and its just better to put up the fence and not worry. Once the bears get into it, it's a continuing battle you don't want to have.

I hate the extra weight but waders (hip/chest) are a must when using a float plane. They can't always put you where you want.

Have some cards/books. I've spent DAYS trapped in a tent, don't mind it much if there's plenty of firewood.

Make sure you can be flexible on your return days and stay in touch with your flight service about up coming weather. I'm about 50% on getting picked up on the scheduled day.

Nothing earth shattering but just some thoughts that came to mind. Have a great hunt, the memories will last a lifetime!

OP
Greyinggrayling
Sounds like you're pretty well set. I'll be flying out the 22nd for my 13th trip to Kodiak. My 18 yo son has a brown bear tag and this will be his 1st time to Kodiak, going to be an adventure for sure!

I always take 2 bear fences, 1 for tent and 1 for the meat pole. Last thing you want to come back to after a long wet day in the field is a your camp destroyed. On Kodiak it's more than an inconvenience, its a safety concern. I've done meat with and without a fence and its just better to put up the fence and not worry. Once the bears get into it, it's a continuing battle you don't want to have.

I hate the extra weight but waders (hip/chest) are a must when using a float plane. They can't always put you where you want.

Have some cards/books. I've spent DAYS trapped in a tent, don't mind it much if there's plenty of firewood.

Make sure you can be flexible on your return days and stay in touch with your flight service about up coming weather. I'm about 50% on getting picked up on the scheduled day.

Nothing earth shattering but just some thoughts that came to mind. Have a great hunt, the memories will last a lifetime!
Great info, thanks!
Any opinion about salt?

Rowsdower

FNG
With the cold temperatures and good fleshing I don’t feel it’s necessary and won’t be taking any salt. 2 previous unsalted bear hides turned out great.

In most cases, I would not bother. I hunt costal and interior AK and don't bring one. I have a UDAP bear fence, but have yet to use it. Don't think there is anywhere in the Lower 48 I would bother.

On Kodiak I would probably use it.
Lol, the GYE bears are meaner than any Alaskan bear and it’s not even close.

OP
Greyinggrayling
Lol, the GYE bears are meaner than any Alaskan bear and it’s not even close.
You know the saying “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.”
In this case it is the size of the dog.
The fence is to keep a curious huge bear out of camp, not a mean little bear.
I don’t have a second tag for a second Kodiak bear.
In interior Alaska I do, in most places.

Josey D

FNG
Are you really planNing on staying in the field all 12 days? Meaning if you shoot your bear on day one, you check it a couple times to see if your husband can take one off the carcus. Your nr friend and you shoot a couple deer. You check the gut piles and care for the meat for a week. On day 9 you call the flight service and they tell you they can get you a day or two early or a storm is coming and it will be 3 days before they can get you. What I am getting at is if you think after success you may come out a bit early or if you plan to wait and possibly come out late. That is how I would determine if it's worth bringing salt. FWIW the wife and I have hunted goats,bea, and deer quite a few times on Kodiak and afognak and never bring salt. But then we never stay 13 plus days either.