Kodiak Island August or November?

Dhosera

FNG
Whos actually hunted Alpine Blacktails on Kodiak? Are they still velvet thru the month of August? My BIL are planning a Goat/Deer trip around the goat opener, Aug 20th, and would like to talk experiences with someone whos had boots on the ground during that period.

bowuntr

WKR
They'll be shedding their velvet at the end of August. Most are hard horn at the beginning of September. Ed F

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Last time I hunted in August, I saw ONE buck out of hundreds that had velvet (he was a spike) and I was done by the 5th. Going back this year in August. Velvet will be a bonus imo.

Dhosera

FNG
That's what I was afraid of Steve O. Priority would be going up in good weather after a Goat and if we scored on a Velvet Blacktail that'd be the big bonus. If I was confident they'd be Velvet, that'd be the trip timing I'm looking for. If they're out of Velvet, I'd rather hit them later for a better Hide on the goat.

akbrett

FNG
be interested to see what the biologists say. i heard different account from a hunting guide/outfitter hunting bears this spring on the west side of the island.

How did you fare on your hunt? Heading to kodiak Oct 3rd for a week long hunt. Planning on hunting the south east end. Hoping to maybe luck into some caribou as well

How did you fare on your hunt? Heading to kodiak Oct 3rd for a week long hunt. Planning on hunting the south east end. Hoping to maybe luck into some caribou as well
how did you guys end up doing? after talking with the pilot our intent is to hunt the SE end but might change as it gets closer and where people are already at.

We had a very tuff hunt. Not many buck sightings and the weather was not favorable. Definitely a awesome place! I would pick somewhere that is unknown we went to a known drop off location and after a day of being there another camp rolled in and on the backside of our mtn range there was another camp hunting the same range. I would definitely pick a mtn lake that is unnamed next time! We will definitely be going back. Very beautiful place but also very unforgiving!! Be prepared for lots of rain and wind