Kowa 883 Spotter Vs ATX 95

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone running the Kowa 883 ?

Im looking at new spotters and Im comparing this to the Swaro ATX 95..

The Kowa is 54 Oz and the Swaro is 76 Oz I wondering if any of you have looked through both and have an opinion.

Thanks !

tdhanses

WKR
Your talking the two best spotters available and really it’ll depend on your eyes what you feel performs best between the two, not a biased owners opinion. Also just remember your eyes are not my eyes. As far as optics go either is a great choice.

tdot

WKR
I havent looked thru an 883 in a few years, so take this for what it is. I'm currently evaluating a BTX/95 along with the STX eyepiece and a 65, trying to decide which direction I will go. But the thought process I seem to be settling into is that if weight is a concern, then the 883 is pretty hard to beat and at the time I compared it to the largest ATS Swaro and thought it was optically superior.

However the BTX/95 trumps everything I've ever looked thru. It is just an absolute beast to pack. My original plan was to use the STX/65 in the pack. However I am now starting to play with the BTX65 and think this may be my new backpacking scope, it is not a combo I really expected to work so well, but it is awesome. Not sure how it compares weight wise to the 883.

I dont think you can go wrong with the optics of either the 883 or ATX/95. Your eyes will be the deciding factor. But I think the bigger differentiators are the eco-system/weight of the ATX vs the simplicity of the 883.

Cody_W

WKR
Absolutely love my ATX 95. Well worth the extra pack weight for me. Can’t speak for the Kowa, I’m sure it’s nice though.

OP
C

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Guys, I currently run an ATS65HD the Magnesium body for everything.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that I will take a weight penalty for a bigger objective, I feel like although it sounds neat to use the modular Swarosystem it is likely that I wouldn't actually get the BTXsimply because most of the time imliving off of my back...

Whoever said all optics have their place was right, I feel like finding the happy medium you can stomach economically and optically is the toughest decision I have to make with regards to hunting.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Both are great scopes. I played with both before I ended up purchasing the ATX. I really liked the Kowa to look through, but I didn't like the focus knobs on the Kowa as much as the focus ring on the ATX. Otherwise I found the optic quality between the two scopes to be very close.

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks Guys, I currently run an ATS65HD the Magnesium body for everything.

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that I will take a weight penalty for a bigger objective, I feel like although it sounds neat to use the modular Swarosystem it is likely that I wouldn't actually get the BTXsimply because most of the time imliving off of my back...

Whoever said all optics have their place was right, I feel like finding the happy medium you can stomach economically and optically is the toughest decision I have to make with regards to hunting.

I’d say in the end the biggest deciding factor will be price. Do you want to spend more and will you be happy If you don’t stay with swaro?

I’ve had the ATS HD 80 and now have Kowa 553 and 773 spotters both Kowa’s I have are better then the ATS HD to my eyes. I haven’t looked through an ATX and don’t want to, lol.

I ordered an 883 because no one around me had one, then took it to a store and compared with ATX. Went back multiple times at different light and was looking at a mountain face anywhere from 1-2 miles away. Both are awesome, but for me the ATX wasn’t worth the extra money/weight, I never planned on getting the BTX system, and the Kowa was better to my eye. Used it a full season now for elk, antelope, mule deer, and Coues and absolutely love it. Wish I would of gotten one sooner. If not looking to get the BTX, I’d go with the Kowa.

BIGEYES

FNG
Optics quality, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder! I spent a couple of hours on a side by side comparison with a Kowa 884 and a Swarovski STX 95. Image quality was very close. I liked the view through the Swaro better. It provided an edge in depth of field and I felt that it was slightly sharper. Since weight was not an issue, I kept the Swarovski and "horse traded" the Kowa. I've never regretted my decision. You would be well served by either choice.

I owned the Kowa 883 for a little over am2 years now. I’ve never been disappointed. I’ve been able to look through the ATX 95 a few times and never noticed any huge differences. I found myself liking the extra 10x of the ATX but I love the wide angle eyepiece on the 883. If I were to go back and do it all over again I’d go ATX just for the module system. But if I wanted bang for my buck I’d say you can’t beat the 883. That being said I’ve got an 883 with soft case that I’d be willing to part with. If I don’t sell it I’ll most likely end up buying a Kowa 553.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I owned the Kowa 883 for a little over am2 years now. I’ve never been disappointed. I’ve been able to look through the ATX 95 a few times and never noticed any huge differences. I found myself liking the extra 10x of the ATX but I love the wide angle eyepiece on the 883. If I were to go back and do it all over again I’d go ATX just for the module system. But if I wanted bang for my buck I’d say you can’t beat the 883. That being said I’ve got an 883 with soft case that I’d be willing to part with. If I don’t sell it I’ll most likely end up buying a Kowa 553.

That tells me you don’t like packing a big heavy and bulky spotter which most of us don’t while hunting, where the swaro wil not improve on even if it is modular from 65-95 or to the btx, it’ll still be heavy and bulky or why would the 55mm even be on your mind when you have an 88 series and can add an extender? IMO the 55 series is the best spotter for hunting unless you are in Alaska where you have to be 100% on the legal size of sheep and moose.

i have found the 55 and 77 to be all I need.

Last edited:
why would the 55mm even be on your mind when you have an 88 series and can add an extender? IMO the 55 series is the best spotter for hunting unless you are in Alaska where you have to be 100% on the legal size of sheep and moose.

i have found the 55 and 77 to be all I need.

I like to run my 88mm when scouting and hunting mule deer. I’d consider myself a trophy quality hunter for deer. However I’d like a 55mm spotter for backcountry elk hunts. Where as I’m more of a meat hunter and very weight conscientious.

tdhanses

WKR
I like to run my 88mm when scouting and hunting mule deer. I’d consider myself a trophy quality hunter for deer. However I’d like a 55mm spotter for backcountry elk hunts. Where as I’m more of a meat hunter and very weight conscientious.

Yup it really shines when hunting, it’s always in my pack come season, my bigger spotter is for the off season, I added a 77 for this timeframe.