Kowa Big Eyes Setup

ericl33

Lil-Rokslider
I made my own big eye plate a few years back with 664's.
Nothing short of phenomenal and I have packed them alot of places.
My method was very easy for me to build, easy to adjust collimation and even easy to adjust in the field. Also made own case with loops to attach to outside of my pack with compression straps if needed for quick access when pack has little in it.
If I remember right the whole works in the padded case weighs just over 7#.
I also carry a single 20-60 eye piece in my pack in case I need a closer look at something but it gets used very little so I have been leaving it behind a lot lately.
I considered selling the plates for other to put together big eyes but didn't know if there was a market.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

My method was very easy for me to build, easy to adjust collimation and even easy to adjust in the field. Also made own case with loops to attach to outside of my pack with compression straps if needed for quick access when pack has little in it.
I also carry a single 20-60 eye piece in my pack in case I need a closer look at something but it gets used very little so I have been leaving it behind a lot lately.
I considered selling the plates for other to put together big eyes but didn't know if there was a market.

Any chance you could share pics. I’m waiting on an Adams Adapter at the minute, thought it’s worth investment even though I did make a rudimentary one for proof of concept.

Also wondering has anyone used the kowa extenders with the 664 big eye setup? Or two zoom eyepieces, wondered how they fare out.

Mtk6888

FNG
Have a set of 664M's and they're great! Just wish I could find a pair of the old 20x wide eyepieces

Mtk6888

FNG
Is there a reason you would not use the 30xwa? They are about as good as you can get in the 664s
I believe 20x gives you around 173' fov at 1000 yds and the 30x only gives you around 126' fov at 1000 yds.

I'll be buying the 30's if I can't get 2 20's. Just makes viewing larger areas easier when out long ranging 400-1000yds

I believe 20x gives you around 173' fov at 1000 yds and the 30x only gives you around 126' fov at 1000 yds.

I'll be buying the 30's if I can't get 2 20's. Just makes viewing larger areas easier when out long ranging 400-1000yds
Buy the 30xwa. With the twin 664 setup they offer a stupid wide view and are clear to the edge.

Mtk6888

FNG
Buy the 30xwa. With the twin 664 setup they offer a stupid wide view and are clear to the edge.
Really? I currently have the 25x long eye relief and they're nice but want more fov. 30xwa only shows 15 more foot of difference. Are you saying you're getting more?

Really? I currently have the 25x long eye relief and they're nice but want more fov. 30xwa only shows 15 more foot of difference. Are you saying you're getting more?
Im saying i feel no need for more field of view with the 30xwa eyepieces on the twin 664s.to me the field of view seems much wider than my 12x50 els for comparison. And never to i feel over magnified at 30x. I think the 20x would leave you wanting more magnification at times

4th_point

WKR

Man, I completely understand where you are coming from. Everyone has a different use/need.

I got the 20x with a used scope and originally planned to sell it right away. Then I started to use it, and found it REALLY nice. Reminds me of the 16x on the ED50. Super nice, if that magnification works for you. Not a good fit for everyone though.

I also own the Kowa 30x. It's a great EP as well. 30x might be the best overall compromise for most people, but for me it's too much up close and not enough for distance - I have fairly close ridges, then huge distances beyond that. And it's dim with midsize scopes. Heck 30x can be dim with a fullsize! 20x should be noticably better in low light.

Anyway, hence the indecision on my part!

I could see 20x Kowa big eyes, along with one 20-60x zoom handy, to be the ultimate for my uses. Have never tried dual zoom eyepieces though.

Djaworow

FNG

what pack are you using to pack these? do you keep them in a soft case in your pack? im thinking about this but worried about the size as well as them coming apart from the bracket?