Kowa TSN 88 spotter vs Meopta S2 82, which would you buy and why. Thanks for the input.

JGRaider

WKR
Here's a pic of us on an aoudad sheep hunt in West TX. I had the 884 next to my buddy's Zeiss 85T FL. It wasn't in the same league as the Kowa, it was very apparent. I found that interesting because Meopta actually made that Zeiss spotter to Zeiss' spec. It actually had "made in Czech Republic" on the box.

wTDWxec.jpg

4th_point

WKR
I actually owned the Kowa 884 and the Meopta S2 at the same time, and had them side by side many times in the field hunting. It's really splitting hairs IME to determine which one is better. I did wind up preferring the S2 simply because it was a touch sharper and brighter at the highest magnifications. Can't go wrong with either IMO, and I'd pick the one you get the best deal on.

I am not surprised that the S2 was sharper, JGR. It has a great reputation for low sample variation and correction, and excellent resolution. Apparently the 880 can be very good too but it might require a few to get a good one.

I've seen used S2 for ~$1500, if I recall correctly. That's got to be the best deal going.

I already own a different 82mm (Nikon) which is stunning in terms of resolution and extremely well corrected, but if I didn't I would consider the S2.

Ideally, snag a used S2 then rent an 88 for comparison!

4th_point

WKR
Here's a pic of us on an aoudad sheep hunt in West TX. I had the 884 next to my buddy's Zeiss 85T FL. It wasn't in the same league as the Kowa, it was very apparent. I found that interesting because Meopta actually made that Zeiss spotter to Zeiss' spec. It actually had "made in Czech Republic" on the box.
Apparently Meopta made a scope(s) for Leica as well. And the resolution tests were poor, but met Leica specs which were low.

JGRaider

WKR
I also had a Nikon 82ED that was absolutely superb, with a fixed 30x EP. Probably should have kept that one and called it good. Very well built too.

I have the angled Kowa 88A and the straight S2. They are both incredible scopes and I think you would notice more difference and preference in the feel of a barrel focus vs a course/fine dual focus than there is in the difference between the Kowa vs Meopta glass. I would seriously pick which focus system you like more and then go with that. For digiscoping the dual focus of the Kowa 88A works much better.

Wrench

WKR
I also had a Nikon 82ED that was absolutely superb, with a fixed 30x EP. Probably should have kept that one and called it good. Very well built too.
I'm glad you posted this. I have this setup and keep thinking if the new best setup blows this away, I can't even imagine....the eyepiece is the magic on this one.

4th_point

WKR
Yeah, it's built like a tank. The view with the fixed EPs is really good, especially the 30x digiscope EP.

The zoom EP has narrow FOV and poor ER as you probably know. I just deal with it because I want the 75x top end but the S2 is probably a better choice overall. I've been keeping an eye out for a used one!

4th_point

WKR
They are both incredible scopes and I think you would notice more difference and preference in the feel of a barrel focus vs a course/fine dual focus than there is in the difference between the Kowa vs Meopta glass.
I think that is a great point about the focusers.

I am OK with either, but overall prefer barrel or helical over the small knobs with gloves on. Assuming a well corrected scope (well defined point of best focus).

My big scope snaps into focus easily, and I use enough stability where I don't get excessive vibration, so I have no desire for finger knobs. But if there was a lot of vibe or I had hand issues then maybe a finger knob would be better.

If poorly corrected, the fine focus can sort of be useful as one can hunt for best focus. I am trying a compact scope right now and it's not well corrected but in actual field use it's serviceable. The fine focus sort of helps but is obviously a crutch that doesn't address the design/assembly flaws. I think that is why so many people like fine focus on budget scopes as it sort of makes it seem like they can focus better. In reality the optic isn't very good, but might seem worse with helical focuser.

In contrast, I have another compact scope that has a very stiff focuser which is not user friendly, but it is better corrected and "snaps" into focus easier even with the crappy focuser!

I have the angled Kowa 88A and the straight S2. They are both incredible scopes and I think you would notice more difference and preference in the feel of a barrel focus vs a course/fine dual focus than there is in the difference between the Kowa vs Meopta glass. I would seriously pick which focus system you like more and then go with that. For digiscoping the dual focus of the Kowa 88A works much better.
I have both the 88A and the angled S2 and agree with both Lionhound and JG. They are both exceptional but are very different In both view characteristics and handling. Strongly suggest trying prior to buying. Personally, I love the ruggedness of the S2 and the reach of the 70x eyepiece; but also love the very precise focus and very natural colors of the Kowa. Also prefer the 20-70x eyepiece over the 30-60x eyepiece (too much barrel distortion at low magnification) on the S2. Another thing they got right on the new 88A is the dual-screw mounting system. It holds in place much better and avoids having to constantly tighten things down.

Can’t go wrong with either.

6.5x284

WKR
Both are great. I prefer the Kowa. My current ranking after owning all below is:

88s>85 STX>82 S2>Leica APO 82

Either will suit you fine! Pick the focus or best deal and kill some stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I agree with the post saying it's splitting hairs between the 2. The S2/Euro HD provide exceptional clarity, and can be found for less than half of what a used Kowa 88 goes for. Only way I'd ever take the Kowa is if they were the same price, as I do think the crystal flourite they use handles sub optimal conditions like glare, mirage, etc better.

ILPete

FNG
I have both the 88A and the angled S2 and agree with both Lionhound and JG. They are both exceptional but are very different In both view characteristics and handling. Strongly suggest trying prior to buying. Personally, I love the ruggedness of the S2 and the reach of the 70x eyepiece; but also love the very precise focus and very natural colors of the Kowa. Also prefer the 20-70x eyepiece over the 30-60x eyepiece (too much barrel distortion at low magnification) on the S2. Another thing they got right on the new 88A is the dual-screw mounting system. It holds in place much better and avoids having to constantly tighten things down.
I've had both scopes (actually still have the S2) and agree with the above 100%. Also:

There seems to be some sample variability in the 883s where some are at little less sharp at 55-60x. Really haven't heard any reports of a bad S2.

The S2 focuses fairly fast, it can be a little difficult to dial in the absolute best focus.

The S2 has a bit of a yellow cast and compared to the Kowas and can be a bit darker at higher powers. Most noticeable very early morning and late evenings.