KRG Bravo Opinions

View attachment 423052
A reference point since I got my suppressor and scope caps Friday, and this is “done” for now: 11.6# with an empty mag. I could easily drop a pound by switching to an SWFA 3-9 in Seekins lows w/o caps.

I probably won’t lug it up any mountains, but for all of my in-state hunting this will do fine. It isn’t much heavier than the 700 CDL I carried for 12 or so seasons.

20” CTR 6.5 CM
KRG Bravo w/ SRS 4” ARCA
Ultra 7 CB
Medium ARCs
LRHS2
AADMOUNT caps
I like it! I just finally got around to ordering one yesterday with a mag and arca rail, and ordered rings… literally just need the rifle now… have a baby NXS sitting there, and a good head start on ammo (about 300 rds primarily of federal TA) and will probably buy a few more boxes this week…

Just got the rifle completed for my wife and daughter that started out as mine, I will still shoot it some, but the LOP is going to be really short for me and I braked it, which I don’t want for a rifle I hunt with

Next year I plan to upgrade their rifle to a can vs brake

I hope I like the bravo, which I think I will, but the xlr is awesome on their rifle

Form had a really good point earlier in the thread about temperature and a full metal chassis like the xlr getting cold… even though we are on the coast, there will be some mornings chasing blacktail that carrying that chassis will be cold, but I always pack the rifle and it’s usually in the gun bearer so it won’t be a huge deal, but that will be a benefit of the bravo for me, especially hunting lions on those perfect mornings that are calm and frozen… the bravo will be good for that

I got the same color too, seeing yours i am glad I did

I hope I like the bravo, which I think I will, but the xlr is awesome on their rifle

Form had a really good point earlier in the thread about temperature and a full metal chassis like the xlr getting cold… even though we are on the coast, there will be some mornings chasing blacktail that carrying that chassis will be cold, but I always pack the rifle and it’s usually in the gun bearer so it won’t be a huge deal, but that will be a benefit of the bravo for me, especially hunting lions on those perfect mornings that are calm and frozen… the bravo will be good for that

I got the same color too, seeing yours i am glad I did
I think you’ll like the Bravo. I have two, the other has an enclosed forend and full-length arca rail. My hands don’t like it at all in even mildly cold temps. It sucks the warmth away.

I’m really fond of FDE and may have went that route if it were a stainless barrel and action, but I figured Sako Green would just look right on a black Tikka. I’m absolutely pleased with how it looks, far better than I had imagined.

I think you’ll like the Bravo. I have two, the other has an enclosed forend and full-length arca rail. My hands don’t like it at all in even mildly cold temps. It sucks the warmth away.

I’m really fond of FDE and may have went that route if it were a stainless barrel and action, but I figured Sako Green would just look right on a black Tikka. I’m absolutely pleased with how it looks, far better than I had imagined.
I did get the shorter rail, because I share your feelings on the full length, that’s the one thing I noticed on the xlr, but I am glad they are designed that way with an arca machined in, but since I had to order one for the bravo, I wanted to get one short enough that there was still a clean place to hold the rifle… not sure where I will mount it, but I will know when I have the rifle put together and see how/where it balances

Your rifle looks sharp!

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my Tikka T3X Superlite, 6.5 Creed, KRG Bravo, Hardy Covert suppressor. Barrel cut and threaded so the thread shoulder ends just in front of the fluting - this ends up with about a 20.5" barrel.

Currently has a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 x 44 in Sportsmatch TO84s; I'm not convinced these are the best option for sight picture, so might swap out for the HTO73s, or just get a Medium and High Mountain Tactical Raptor mount to experiment with.

All up (currently without front swivel socket, scope caps, bipod adapter & bipod, or sling), this is sitting at 4.495 kg, or 9.91 lbs. Hoping to be close to 11lbs rifle with everything before sling, but that's a fairly arbitrary goal at this point.

Apologies for the grainy image - fading light and old camera!

View attachment 410920
What threads were you able to get on the end of that just past the fluting? And what can is that?
I’d love to get that done to my superlite, I’d assumed it wasn’t possible to cut the barrel it short enough to get threads on there without being in the fluting.

Dobermann

WKR
What threads were you able to get on the end of that just past the fluting? And what can is that?
I’d love to get that done to my superlite, I’d assumed it wasn’t possible to cut the barrel it short enough to get threads on there without being in the fluting.
That one's threaded M14x1. I think it started as a 22" barrel, so there was definitely space.

I think you'll find a post somewhere on here by @Formidilosus about a different thread pitch, and how to it's possible to thread down into the fluting (and using an adapter nut).

The can is by Hardy Engineering in NZ. I like Oceania Defence for hunting, which are incredibly light, but not rated for multiple strings, so am experimenting with the Hardy.

Got the chance to take my new KRG bear hunting this spring and was really pleased with it. Following that up with PRS matches and elk and deer hunts this fall. I’ve never had a stock that I could play with LOP or cheek weld height and it’s been a lot of fun tinkering with it. I’ve since added LOP spacers and moved my butt pad up like @PNWGATOR. I really appreciate all the knowledge folks here willingly share. 5EC88E2F-C3E1-45CC-BE1D-43972DA91E5F.jpeg

I’ve got a 20” 6.5 CM that runs factory 140s at around 2600-2625 fps. I shoot 130 TMK at 2800-2825 fps out of the same barrel. That’s about 450’ ASL and it’s a Proof barrel if that matters to you.

That setup is on an ARC Nuc, Manners CS-2 w/ mini chassis, with a heavy 29 ounce optic on it (for now) in Seekins rings. Rifle goes around 9.5 and it’s 11.75 with bipod and suppressor.
I’ve been thinking about picking up 140’s ELDMs to get a little more speed, but quite frankly they’re a helluva lot easier to find and a touch cheaper. @Formidilosus , what say you when compared to the 147s?

In the short barrel 6.5 thread Form says he prefers the 130 TMK or ELD for the higher impact velocity at his typical hunting ranges. The general 6.5 killing thread has a bunch of photos where he was present for kills with the 143 eld-x and the berger 130 ar hybrid.

In the short barrel 6.5 thread Form says he prefers the 130 TMK or ELD for the higher impact velocity at his typical hunting ranges. The general 6.5 killing thread has a bunch of photos where he was present for kills with the 143 eld-x and the berger 130 ar hybrid.
Just went back and re-read that thread/particular post. The way I understood that post was that was his preferred 6.5 bullet in the 130 range.

I’m curious what the go-to factory loaded 6.5 bullet is, weight be damned. Last time I touched base with him it was the 147 or 143. Since then, I’ve probably shot/bought 500 rds of the 147s. @Formidilosus - curious about your thoughts here when you’ve got a spare second.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve been thinking about picking up 140’s ELDMs to get a little more speed, but quite frankly they’re a helluva lot easier to find and a touch cheaper. @Formidilosus , what say you when compared to the 147s?

Ehh. Any of them. The 147gr had a thicker nose, and due to me shooting animals at low impact velocities I would generally prefer the 140gr over the 147gr, and probably the 130gr ELD-M over either now; but the 130, 140, or 147gr are all good.

bsnedeker

WKR
Are you saying the 140's are easier to find? If so, that is the opposite of what I'm seeing....147's everywhere but I can never find the 140's that I use.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Are you saying the 140's are easier to find? If so, that is the opposite of what I'm seeing....147's everywhere but I can never find the 140's that I use.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Mainly cheaper than the 147s. Sent you a PM where the 140s are in stock now. I'll show you mine if you show me yours LOL

Last edited:
for those who know...

is there any downside to removing that insert on the bottom of the butt of the chassis? (straight below the cheek riser)

i removed mine, and i like it better without it for getting steady in different positions, it doesn't look like water can get anywhere important by looking, but figured i'd ask

Lawnboi

WKR
for those who know...

is there any downside to removing that insert on the bottom of the butt of the chassis? (straight below the cheek riser)

i removed mine, and i like it better without it for getting steady in different positions, it doesn't look like water can get anywhere important by looking, but figured i'd ask
I prefer a flat and as parralel to the bore bottom (both front and back for that matter). This keeps muzzle rise down under recoil.

Krg makes a cover if you prefer the hook

Dobermann

WKR
@Formidilosus ... and everyone else ... what's your preference for AICS magazines with the Bravo - metal, polymer, or a metal/polymer combination (such as by MDT?

My main context is for hunting but also field comps, which would have higher round counts (say 80-160 rounds per event).

And do we have any data about which last longer over time? In general, if something's likely to last twice as long with the same functionality, I tend to go for the longer-lasting ... not enough time or money to pay for stuff twice, even if that's in five or ten years' time ...

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
My only complaint is that they don’t make one for long action tikka. Specifically the 30-06, I understand the magnum calibers.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus ... and everyone else ... what's your preference for AICS magazines with the Bravo - metal, polymer, or a metal/polymer combination (such as by MDT?

My main context is for hunting but also field comps, which would have higher round counts (say 80-160 rounds per event).

And do we have any data about which last longer over time? In general, if something's likely to last twice as long with the same functionality, I tend to go for the longer-lasting ... not enough time or money to pay for stuff twice, even if that's in five or ten years' time ...

AI brand mags is what I prefer. Haven’t worn one out shooting yet. That’s a lot of ammo and use.

Dobermann

WKR
Ehh. Any of them. The 147gr had a thicker nose, and due to me shooting animals at low impact velocities I would generally prefer the 140gr over the 147gr, and probably the 130gr ELD-M over either now; but the 130, 140, or 147gr are all good.
Form, what difference/s are there between 120 g ELD-Ms and the 129 g Superperformance SSTs?

I'm thinking about dropping from 140 g for the increase in velocity and reduced (even if slightly) recoil ...

Would you have a recommendation between the two above options for medium-large deer?