Kuiu Kenai Insulated jacket

rjf611

FNG
“I wonder if they have some qc issues with labeling...”
I wonder also, have a guide vest and non hooded peloton 240 in large, fit great. I ordered 2 different hooded peloton 240’s at different times in large and they are too small,ordered XL and too big. Not about to order Kenai when I cannot return.

Sage

FNG
I have a couple year old Kenai solid color in a large that fits great with base layer and second layer on. Just bought two weeks ago from the outlet a non hooded verde 2.0 Kenai in a large and its way big. I'm not real happy with the fit at all but suck with it. I had the same trouble with merino 210 soild and a pelton 200 verde 2.0 in larges and had to swap out the pelton 200 for a medium. Very unsure of the sizing at this point. The merino large fits great. 5' 9" 160 lbs.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
There must be some consistency issue here with this jacket. 5'10" 170 and the large I have is too small to layer anything more than a baselayer underneath (and it's still kind of short for that).

I ordered one from the outlet so I haven’t used it yet obviously, but I grabbed it for my elk hunt this fall. I’m 6’, 160, 40” chest, and got the large, I’m a medium more often than not. The sleeves and torso length are perfect, it’s about 2” too large in the waist but puffy jackets are going to be a bit bulky by design obviously.

With a base layer and athletic fit light fleece, I can wear the Kenai over it and not be constricted, and my Ultra NX rain jacket in a Medium fits over everything, but not with any room to spare.

I had planned on getting the Super Down instead, as I’m thinking it will be used primarily for glassing and at camp, but I’m glad I picked up the Kenai as it’s much quieter for hunting and probably a better choice if we end up doing more “run and gun” type hunting.

If it’s in 30-40 degrees and breezy, covering some ground with packs on but stopping to call and glass for 15-20 minutes at a time, I didn’t want to constantly be taking a down jacket on and off.

The only downside I’ve found to the Kenai so far is that it’s bulky. It will eat up the majority of the room in a day pack if you let it. Hopefully it will be worn a lot which will negate this, but I found that it fits perfectly in a 6x10 sleeping bag stuff sack. It can be compressed much smaller than that for a pack in, but it takes some effort.

It’s one of the best insulation/active wear jackets out there. The fabric is super breathable and quite. It’s not very durable but you can’t have it all. It‘s been discontinued which is too bad. They have to keep swapping the the product line out to sell more stuff. Hopefully the Kenai Pro which they’re replacing it with is just as good.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Hopefully the Kenai Pro which they’re replacing it with is just as good.

Where did you hear about the replacement? I haven’t seen anything, but have been hoping they would do this. I’d actually like to see a lighter insulated hooded version similar in weight to the snap shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I received mine over the weekend. I'm 5'8" and 170, some what athletic build. The Large fits well, I'm sure there is room to layer a little under it. I wouldn't want it any bigger. I have to make sure my large Chugach rain jacket fits over it as well. So far I really like the fit, feel, pockets, and how quiet it is. I guess I'll see how well I really like it in September.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the hooded version when they were in the outlet and it's going to be perfect for what I want in the east and I bet I would have used it every day when I was in Idaho last October.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I was interested to hear why they discontinued what I thought was one of their best products so I fired them an email to which they replied.

“Thank you for contacting us. Yes, we are discontinuing the Kenai line to bring out the Kenai ULTRA in the future. Please stay tuned to our newsletter as this is where new information will be highlighted in regards to the release.”

Kenai ULTRA sounds like they might be making a lighter jacket. I hope they don’t mess with it too much. I was one of those jackets I didn’t really care to even purchase but I got it during one of their big sales. It wasn’t until I used it while hiking hard in the mountains that I realized what a great jacket it is. Vents so well.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was interested to hear why they discontinued what I thought was one of their best products so I fired them an email to which they replied.

“Thank you for contacting us. Yes, we are discontinuing the Kenai line to bring out the Kenai ULTRA in the future. Please stay tuned to our newsletter as this is where new information will be highlighted in regards to the release.”

Kenai ULTRA sounds like they might be making a lighter jacket. I hope they don’t mess with it too much. I was one of those jackets I didn’t really care to even purchase but I got it during one of their big sales. It wasn’t until I used it while hiking hard in the mountains that I realized what a great jacket it is. Vents so well.

That would be awesome if toray could produce a lighter more packable version of the material without losing warmth. I hope they don’t strip features. I ended up not needing the chest pockets but I can see many people liking them. The pit zips are nice and one of the easiest to open and close.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kuiu Kenai jacket (didn't like the hoody version but like the jacket version), I'm 6 185lb 33r waist. Medium fits me great, as I prefer an athletic fit. The best part of this jacket is the pit zips! I've not found another similar jacket with this feature.

Mine is Phantom - I'd sell it if interested ($80+shipping). I want one in V2.0.

Dwight.MT

FNG
Here's another data point: I'm 6'1', 180 lbs, 40" chest, 36" arms (measured per KUIU size chart), 33" waist. So I'm long armed and not super burley in the torso - shaped more like a monkey than a bear. My Kenai fits a hair snugger across my shoulders and arms than I'd prefer but not bad. I'm guessing an XL would be looser around the torso than I prefer, and I like a puffy to fit snug on my torso so I'm happy with the size large.
Nice jacket for moving around in. I usually put a soft or hard shell on over it if I'm sitting in the cold wind.