Kuiu Kenai vs Arc'teryx Proton LT

Leroy91

FNG
Hey everyone. Looking for a synthetic, breathable puffy/outer-mid active insulation piece.
Found lots of info comparing the Kenai to the Atom LT, but nothing comparing the Kenai to the Proton LT. I like the idea of the pit-zips, pocket, and hoodless option on the Kenai, but am trying to figure out the pros/cons to each before pulling the trigger. Hoodless Kenai is 14.2oz, Hooded (no hoodless option) Proton 13.2oz. Which is more breathable, versatile, and a wider comfort range for temperature/exertion?
Also hoping for insights on fit. I am 6'4", 190lbs. Athletic build and long arms. Open to any pointers, guidance, or other ideas.
Thanks in advance!

I can’t compare it to the Kenai but comparing the Proton to the Atom here is the comlarison:

Proton LT- is a little warmer than the Atom Lt (80 vs 60gsm Coreloft respectively

Proton is slightly more durable and weather resistant than the Atom

Atom LT has side fleece panels making it a little more breathable and less warm than the Proton.

No idea how the Kenai stacks up to these other than it’s a little heavier and has pit zips.

Persoanlly, my biased opinion is Arcteryx would be a more breathable durable choice. Not sure if it would be warmer though.

No idea on sizing, probably XL to get the sleeves right

I can’t help you with the comparison, but I’ll say the Proton LT is much more of a fitted cut than the Atom is.

Warmth is somewhat subjective, but I’ve used the Proton into the mid-30s with only short sleeves underneath. While it is breathable, you definitely wouldn’t want to have it on with a good bit of exertion. If you’re looking for something along those lines, you might check out the Proton lightweight hoodie (formerly the Proton FL). THAT thing is an excellent piece! The same with the Atom SL over the LT if you plan to be exerting a lot of energy.

OP
L

Leroy91

FNG
I can’t compare it to the Kenai but comparing the Proton to the Atom here is the comlarison:

Proton LT- is a little warmer than the Atom Lt (80 vs 60gsm Coreloft respectively

Proton is slightly more durable and weather resistant than the Atom

Atom LT has side fleece panels making it a little more breathable and less warm than the Proton.

No idea how the Kenai stacks up to these other than it’s a little heavier and has pit zips.

Persoanlly, my biased opinion is Arcteryx would be a more breathable durable choice. Not sure if it would be warmer though.

No idea on sizing, probably XL to get the sleeves right
Thanks for the insights. From what I can tell by reading about comparisons of the Atom LT and Proton LT, the Proton is warmer and more breathable because of the spun insulation, vs the sheet that the Atom has. The Atom is more weather resistant/durable due to a beefier face fabric.
The closest comparison I can seem to come up with is trying to compare the Proton to the Patagonia nano air a sit is very similar to the Kuiu Kenai (same insulation), but the Kenai may boast a little extra breathability with having pit zips, although it gives up some weight savings due to the extra zippers/pockets (pay off for a more functional piece I suppose).

OP
L

Leroy91

FNG
I can’t help you with the comparison, but I’ll say the Proton LT is much more of a fitted cut than the Atom is.

Warmth is somewhat subjective, but I’ve used the Proton into the mid-30s with only short sleeves underneath. While it is breathable, you definitely wouldn’t want to have it on with a good bit of exertion. If you’re looking for something along those lines, you might check out the Proton lightweight hoodie (formerly the Proton FL). THAT thing is an excellent piece! The same with the Atom SL over the LT if you plan to be exerting a lot of energy.
Thanks, that is good feedback.
I will have an ultralight windshirt in my pack at all times, so I think that will give a much higher feeling of warmth when I am static/not moving much. I think I am angling for the LT over the FL as I would like to create some versatility in angling more to the insulation benefit of the slightly heavier LT, but not become overly uncomfortable if I end up still-hunting a bit or having to make a quick move or jaunt uphill/through terrain to get after an animal for a shot. I will probably always have a grid fleece on underneath, except in the very early season.

Thanks, that is good feedback.
I will have an ultralight windshirt in my pack at all times, so I think that will give a much higher feeling of warmth when I am static/not moving much. I think I am angling for the LT over the FL as I would like to create some versatility in angling more to the insulation benefit of the slightly heavier LT, but not become overly uncomfortable if I end up still-hunting a bit or having to make a quick move or jaunt uphill/through terrain to get after an animal for a shot. I will probably always have a grid fleece on underneath, except in the very early season.
I think you’ll really enjoy either option. The face fabric on both is quite durable- even in the rock climbing community. I’m sure it’s not “bombproof”, but definitely can take a bit more punishment than most of the insulation pieces out there (Atom included).

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this same thing. I'm 6'185 and bought a L kenai to replace an Atom LT. Fit of the KUIU didn't come close to that of the Arcteryx jacket. In the end I sent the KUIU jacket back, going to try the SG jackets next. They all seem to be priced similarly, I'd like to use a hunting brand (in solid color) but I can't seem to find anyone that can beat the fit of the Arcteryx stuff.

OP
L

Leroy91

FNG
I just went through this same thing. I'm 6'185 and bought a L kenai to replace an Atom LT. Fit of the KUIU didn't come close to that of the Arcteryx jacket. In the end I sent the KUIU jacket back, going to try the SG jackets next. They all seem to be priced similarly, I'd like to use a hunting brand (in solid color) but I can't seem to find anyone that can beat the fit of the Arcteryx stuff.
Thanks, Warren. I went to pull the trigger on a Proton LT, but Arc'teryx discontinued them. Not sure if they are coming out with something more updated this Fall?... A friend of mine gave me an older Kenai (pre pit-zips). It is a titch small for me, so I am still going to keep my eyes open for a used option in either the Kenai or Proton LT. Apparently Outdoor Research will be releasing a Deviator active insulation piece this Fall, which may be a suitable consideration. It looks pretty well identical to the Sitka Ambient.

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
Check EBay, always deals there on Arc stuff. Moosejaw has deals at times as well. Arc’teryx will release their fall lookbook sometime on Aug if I had to guess. That proton is super popular, I doubt they discontinued it. They may have updated it or in their verbiage “revised” it. Call them they have great customer service