Kuiu peloton 97 vs ultra merino 145

OP
E
There’s nothing in merino that’s close to the Peloton 97. The 97 always comes with. Either as added insulation layer or as the baselayer when it goes below 40. The merino hoody is more specific use when I want a versatile layer that can handle my stink.
Do you have any issues with the 97 being not very durable? Would you layer your 97 over your 145?

jd1006

WKR
No, I wouldn’t layer it over. I think you either go merino or synthetic for layering in most cases. Merino will hold your sweat and the benefit of the peloton 97 is how quickly it moves moisture. You’d want that as close to your skin as possible. I’m really only going with a vest or jacket over my 145.

Durability is an issue with the Peloton 97. Get’s pulls easily, so I rarely wear it as an outer layer.

A set of Peloton 97 is alway in my pack, if i’m not wearing it. Weighs nothing and adds a ton of options for variable weather.

I'm really curious about the strongleece 210, do you have that specific piece? I don't have any kuiu Mid layers, and am considering adding a 210 and a 240 (why did you gp 260/280 over the 240?). The 97 is intriguing to me just for use as a high activity layer but I can see your point as well.

I'm not really an ounce counter. I watch the weight of some of my gear, but if I need something it's going with.
The Peloton 240 doesn’t really provide warmth; it’s more of a wind-resistant piece. I have two (one hooded and one non-hooded) and they have served me well. If I had to do it again, I’d buy only the hooded (cold wind down the neck sucks).

My Peloton 97 top primarily has been relegated to sleeping in to keep my WM bag clean. But I am a fan of the Peloton 97 bottoms.

I initially skipped the StrongFleece 210 as I have a Peloton 200 (rarely used now). This is why I went with the StrongFleece 260. It gives me greater temperature coverage than the other items. Not much point in owning a ton of incremental pieces.

But I’ve not written off on buying the StrongFleece 210. If I buy it, it’ll be solely for not having a hood. Layering can be a bit hard at times if there are too many hoods.

I only wear insulation when idle. I strip down when it is time to move as I will stay plenty warm. Not a fan of having to unnecessarily dry wet clothes.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why do you think that is?
I only own a little bit of Merino. I have a 125 shirt and a 145 hoodie. Hiking tonight the the dogs, the 145 was warm enough over a poly t shirt, but not crazy warm by any means.
While "hiking" I'm always warm in a single lightweight merino top even down in the teens. I have to judge the warmth of a garment while stationary. For me loft may play a role. Every merino piece I've ever worn or seen is very very thin.

I've never seen the Peloton 97, but it sounds a little like it might be close to my microfleece, which I love wearing over my lightweight merino base. I'll soak both with sweat every day of elk hunting, but every night when I climb into my sleeping bag, my merino top is dry. And most of my merino tops are 170-190 weight. I tried a 125 weight merino one time and it literally ripped open just putting it on one day. Probably too thin for me.

Last edited:
OP
E
No, I wouldn’t layer it over. I think you either go merino or synthetic for layering in most cases. Merino will hold your sweat and the benefit of the peloton 97 is how quickly it moves moisture. You’d want that as close to your skin as possible. I’m really only going with a vest or jacket over my 145.

Durability is an issue with the Peloton 97. Get’s pulls easily, so I rarely wear it as an outer layer.

A set of Peloton 97 is alway in my pack, if i’m not wearing it. Weighs nothing and adds a ton of options for variable weather.
That makes sense! Thanks. Do you wear the zip off bottoms much?

They are not comparable, they accomplish two different things.

I wear the 97 as a mid layer hoody for sept over my merino. 97 is to warm to wear as just base until late season, even then I wouldn’t, due to moisture management IMO. It’s a fleece it’s lofted. In this case Wool does better as a base IMO

Example. I would pack the 97 in sept before I would a heavier grid fleece, later in season I’d pack a heavier grid like Klamath, Core HW etc. over the 97

While "hiking" I'm always warm in a single lightweight merino top even down in the teens. I have to judge the warmth of a garment while stationary. For me loft may play a role. Every merino piece I've ever worn or seen is very very thin.

I've never seen the Peloton 97, but it sounds a little like it might be close to my microfleece, which I love wearing over my lightweight merino base. I'll soak both with sweat every day of elk hunting, but every night when I climb into my sleeping bag, my merino top is dry. And most of my merino tops are 170-190 weight. I tried a 125 weight merino one time and it literally ripped open just putting it on one day. Probably too thin for me.
Micro fleece is where I would put it . It has a very high warmth to weight ratio.

OP
E
The Peloton 240 doesn’t really provide warmth; it’s more of a wind-resistant piece. I have two (one hooded and one non-hooded) and they have served me well. If I had to do it again, I’d buy only the hooded (cold wind down the neck sucks).

My Peloton 97 top primarily has been relegated to sleeping in to keep my WM bag clean. But I am a fan of the Peloton 97 bottoms.

I initially skipped the StrongFleece 210 as I have a Peloton 200 (rarely used now). This is why I went with the StrongFleece 260. It gives me greater temperature coverage than the other items. Not much point in owning a ton of incremental pieces.

But I’ve not written off on buying the StrongFleece 210. If I buy it, it’ll be solely for not having a hood. Layering can be a bit hard at times if there are too many hoods.

I only wear insulation when idle. I strip down when it is time to move as I will stay plenty warm. Not a fan of having to unnecessarily dry wet clothes.
Interesting! So in your opinion, the 240 is more of a "shell" and less of a midlayer. I hadn't thought of it like that. Why don't you use the peloton 200? Just overlaps with other pieces you use more?

I honestly had never considered the 260 or 280... now I have to look at them. What's the scoop with either of those pieces?

It sounds like I may really be served well by the 210 or a 200, and one of the 240/260/280 depending on what they provide for warmth and wind resistance.

OP
E

What brand merino do you run?

I find the 125 to dry the fastest but the 145 is more comfortable. Maybe I need a thicker t to try

BBob

WKR
My #1 combination practically year round is a merino 125 base w/peloton 97 over. If I need to add warmth I’ll typically add on top of those two. Along with a set of super light rain gear I too always have a top and bottom 97 in the pack.

OP
E
Micro fleece is where I would put it . It has a very high warmth to weight ratio.
Are there any other well known microfleeces to compare to? I have A quarter zip from Columbia that might be considered a microfleece but I think it might be heavier weight than the 97. If it wasn't black and Grey camo I'd wear it hunting and see how it goes, but I just don't like super dark camo.... yeah I know.... LOL

OP
E
My #1 combination practically year round is a merino 125 base w/peloton 97 over. If I need to add warmth I’ll typically add on top of those two. Along with a set of super light rain gear I too always have a top and bottom 97 in the pack.
What would be your next layer?

Which merino base do you run?

It sounds like this combo is very widely used. I might have to get a 97 just to see what the hype is all about. Do you run the hooded or the quarter zip?

OP
E
Currently I have merino tops from Minus 33, a Red Ram one, and Cabela's/Icebreaker co-branded, and an original Cabela's from 2007......which surprisingly is still mostly without holes. That one is the heaviest one I have.
Do you have a favorite of them?
I only have kuiu 125 and 145 hoodie and 250 weight meriwool (off Amazon). I like the kuiu, not sold on the meriwool. The sleeves are short and the crotch sags low on the bottoms lol. None of mine have holes yet thankfully and I'm actually wearing the 125 kuiu t st work right now.

OP
E
They are not comparable, they accomplish two different things.

I wear the 97 as a mid layer hoody for sept over my merino. 97 is to warm to wear as just base until late season, even then I wouldn’t, due to moisture management IMO. It’s a fleece it’s lofted. In this case Wool does better as a base IMO

Example. I would pack the 97 in sept before I would a heavier grid fleece, later in season I’d pack a heavier grid like Klamath, Core HW etc. over the 97
Interesting. So you just use your 97 as a light insulation layer for early season? Do you think you could run it under a hw hoodie if the 97 didn't have a hood? For those awkward not too warm, not too cold kind of days?

I was shocked when the cs person at kuiu told me they were so similar because it seems like people use them very differently. I wish my 145 wouldn't get so baggy in the Arms. Everybody told me to size up for kuiu but I think my next one will need to be a large so it doesn't bag out as bad.

BBob

WKR
What would be your next layer?

Which merino base do you run?

It sounds like this combo is very widely used. I might have to get a 97 just to see what the hype is all about. Do you run the hooded or the quarter zip?

Ultra merino 125 base. 97 hoodie. A hoody is a must have for me. The next layer on top of those could be a heavier merino (typically1/4 zip) or a breathable wind layer (hoody here too) or both depending on conditions. It has to get pretty cold for me to need more than the merino base and a 97 with a wind shirt hoody option when moving.

Last edited:
Interesting. So you just use your 97 as a light insulation layer for early season? Do you think you could run it under a hw hoodie if the 97 didn't have a hood? For those awkward not too warm, not too cold kind of days?

I was shocked when the cs person at kuiu told me they were so similar because it seems like people use them very differently. I wish my 145 wouldn't get so baggy in the Arms. Everybody told me to size up for kuiu but I think my next one will need to be a large so it doesn't bag out as bad.
definitely size up on the 97.

Yes could layer over the 97 also.

My sept is pretty simple wool base shirt 125-145, 97 peloton hoodie, mountain hardware ghost whisper and maybe a rain jacket. That’s it.

Warm to weight is hard to beat a fleece derivative. But I personally prefer breathablity of wool for base

Interesting! So in your opinion, the 240 is more of a "shell" and less of a midlayer. I hadn't thought of it like that. Why don't you use the peloton 200? Just overlaps with other pieces you use more?

I honestly had never considered the 260 or 280... now I have to look at them. What's the scoop with either of those pieces?

It sounds like I may really be served well by the 210 or a 200, and one of the 240/260/280 depending on what they provide for warmth and wind resistance.
Yes on the 240 after a fashion.

For me (most hunts) the 260 gets the nod over the 200 due to the more durable fabric and it being warmer.

No personal experience with the 280 but it should be similar to the 260 but with a full zip and a bit heavier.

Do recommend Kuiu’s comparison feature on their site.

OP
E
Yes on the 240 after a fashion.

For me (most hunts) the 260 gets the nod over the 200 due to the more durable fabric and it being warmer.

No personal experience with the 280 but it should be similar to the 260 but with a full zip and a bit heavier.

Do recommend Kuiu’s comparison feature on their site.
I was just looking at the comparison to try and confirm what I have been learning. Thanks!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Do you have a favorite of them?
The Cabela's/Icebreaker branded merino shirts are really soft and comfortable. But I always start the season with my old 2007 Cabela's merino top, and then change them out as needed......after several days. For bottoms I liked the same as the Cabela's top, but they completely succumbed to holes over the years. I guess I'm a lot harder on the bottoms. But the minus 33 also come in a Tall, so I like those too.