Kuiu Super Down Pro - opinions??

I will preface this with I have zero need for a jacket like this. My closet runneth over at the moment with gear and it looks like the Kuiu traveling showroom threw up in there. However, I have a $100 gift card burning a hole in my pocket....so here goes nothing!

What say you Rokslide gurus? Worth the pennies? It can get mighty cold here in the frigid Texas coastal plains. At 300 ft above sea level, you might catch a cold getting the mail in the afternoons! Me thinks it would come in handy for a trip to the grocery store as those ice cream freezers can be quite chilly. Or the movie theater? I could also look like I just finished my super slam of wild sheep while on the deck of my quickly approaching Alaskan cruise....

In all honesty...I don't own a big puffy. I typically layer with all my other gear and have both synthetic Kuiu insulation and the ultra jacket currently.

I guess I could always buy $100 worth of skinny tees to show off my growing pandemic fat rolls...

Thoughts???

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
The Super Down Pro is well worth imo. It goes everywhere with me and packs down to the size of a softball. The Super Down Burner Parka on the other hand is more debated.

We do a Raffle + review on Down Jackets and the SDP is the top choice amongst the winners. Great piece of gear.

If you're just looking for something to wear around town where weight & packability doesnt matter, we'd recommend the KUIU Elements Jacket higher. More durable, less expensive and super comfortable.

Last edited:

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Firstlite thin merino base, Kuiu Pelton 240, and Kuiu Superpro down coat (lower setup about the same with the Super pro pants as the outer) sitting on stand for 11 hours in WI with a high of 18 for the day. The stuff is warm.

dapesche

WKR
I like my super down pro. Just bought and have tested on hikes and at ski hill.

Decent wind resistance at ski hill.

When hiking you heat up real quick which is expected. Having those put zips is an awesome feature.

Say if you wanted to shift from one spot to another that isn't too far away you can just open pit zips, unzip jacket and move.

I'm happy with mine. It's spendy but it will last.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Have you checked out the Kuiu Kenai jacket? I have the Super Down Pro but like the Kenai better. It's hard to understand how something so lightweight could be so warm.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine for sitting and glassing. As stated, All Down jackets suck for hiking in.

OP
T
Have you checked out the Kuiu Kenai jacket? I have the Super Down Pro but like the Kenai better. It's hard to understand how something so lightweight could be so warm.
Gman

Yes I have the Kenai Jacket and pant combo already. I typically don't use it often though as much as I do basic merino base layers.

HuntNTag

WKR
Great for a light weight to warmth ratio jacket with a hood. I always have the jacket and pants in my pack for when I get to sit down and glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Update: I finally took the plunge! It was a balmy 65 here today and i'm glad I had my supper puffy professional series Kui-lui for the trip to the mailbox this afternoon! Now that I have both the Ultra and the Super Down Pro I'm set for all types of Texas weather!

On a side note, I bought my wife the ultra down women's jacket...now she is drinking the Kool-aid!