Kuiu Ultra Star 1P first impressions.

jm1607

WKR
I just saw that a mod on the KUIU forum acknowledged the wt. measurements posted on their website being confusing, and said that they were going to fix it.

I guarantee it's because of this thread. Kuiu heavily monitors this website.

I'm glad Rusty posted all his findings for everyone to see. Unfortunately I think most people that planned on buying this tent probably preordered so they all kind of got screwed.

Actually, the tent weights are not all that clear. The tent is listed at 18.9 oz. in the description, 18.9 oz. on the live product launch, and 17.7 oz. in the catalog. So, two different weights, all of them inaccurate, in three different locations. I guess my point was that it's disappointing to me for a company who sells ultralight gear to list their products ANYWHERE at an incomplete weight, excluding necessary components. They also specifically said in a question with the live feed that the weight DID include the stakes. I'm probably going to read that and believe it.

I will admit that I knew there was a 75% chance I'd be returning the tent because of either weight or design issues that could only be seen first hand. You'll notice there are no pictures or footage of anyone in the tent, because you would see how ridiculously low that back wall is. I bought it as a calculated risk, and figured if my concerns bore out, I could just send it back. No harm, no foul. That's a risk we all take when we purchase gear we can't see or touch first.

I simply wanted people who might be interested in it to know that it is not roomy enough to sit up, or really even lay down, without single wall contact, and that you're not getting a 18.9 oz. tent. Frankly, the tent body alone doesn't even actually weigh only 18.9 oz. either.

It's for exactly these reasons that I've had my tarptent Moment for seven years. I can't find another full tent to beat it for room, ease of setup, weight and cost. It's been an incredible value.

So again, just wanted to offer up an honest first impression to let people know that if you have a shelter you like that is in that pound-and-a-half to two pound range that is roomy, this tent isn't much of an option for an upgrade. I ordered the Ultra Star right away because I was curious, and figured if I waited till the first run ran out, I'd never get my hands on one to confirm or dispel my concerns. Got it all figured out, sticking with the Moment. Hope this clears up my intentions.

Helpful Review Rusty. This is very dissapointing. What height and weight are you for comparison?

Thank you

OP
R

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I'm kind of a goofball size-wise. 5'7" and 190-195. I don't know that anyone's height/weight is going to matter much in this case. Any typical sleeping bag will all but fill the widest width of the tent, and most will touch the back wall while on a pad, even without you in it. The point I was trying to make had nothing to do quality, it seems well-made and well-sewn. It was just that you will constantly be in contact with the back wall, and with above average condensation expected, I would plan on having a wet bag, shoulders, elbow, and head.

A gentleman who has done a ton of reviews for Backpackinglight.com did a review on the Big Sky Wisp, of which this tent is a clone. He is much taller and much thinner than someone with my stats. He also commented on the back wall angle and his inability to avoid it. If you look closely at the shape of the tent and it's angles, you have to realize the living space is fully to one side of the peak, where other designs center you in the peak. This can make a huge difference in livability and space.

They actually addressed that in their product release suprisingly, every KUIU forum thread got deleted on it though. They explained the old fly was a dwr coated fabric, and they tried replicating leaks but could not, but still felt the need to move to a PU coated fabric based on some returns.

My original mountain star leaked pretty good, water came straight through the fly.
02f1c6d7199b8bc75e06daf2841d0c09.jpg

It was really hard to get a decent photo of the 50mm deep pool of water after only 8mm of rain overnight.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Wow. That's ugly. I've seen claims of it on the Internet but that's the most direct evidence, thanks for posting. Did they at least replace it?

I think the whole thing is a black eye for them, especially their product testing, quite of few of us called them out on their forum and the threads just got deleted - when this issue first got posted those tents were taken down, then they were put back up as "sold out" and now we have another model.

I like some KUIU stuff but own a BT-2 now. Way glad I went that route.

Wow. That's ugly. I've seen claims of it on the Internet but that's the most direct evidence, thanks for posting. Did they at least replace it?

Yeah the new model showed up last week. I believe in the design and would have bought the BSI Revolution had I discovered it before the mountain star shipped.
I absolutely hate the orange on the new ones and am tempted to return this one for a refund.

return it.... kuiu is easy to deal with i think if you have an account with them and are the original owner. i agree the oarnge really killed it. my experience with big sky on the other hand has been rough. the worst customer service period that i have delt with in my life. has taken two months to get a tent from them that is in stock......and many phone calls and e mails. they have a great product but lack in the service area. its like dealing with a third world country. bob i think deals with it when he wants and just is what it is. in the end you get a great product but its lacking much in customer service. i have talked to him and sent many emails regarding my opinion and hope he changes that to obtain more positive experiences for paying customers. the kuiu 2p is a better tent in design i think than the big sky 2p rev with porch but its still good. the kuiu tent has a more ridgid feel to it, like a steel structure, i really like its stoutness, used last years over 30 nites with all scenerios, never was scared, mine never leaked but the clips failed that act in its integrity where poles cross. when i set up both BSI tent and Kuiu's the kuiu is far more ridgid with the carbon pole and pole design on the outer fly, the BSI flexes much as well has a different inner width. the BSI is not equal in the inside one side is wider than the other, the kuiu is equal. the BSI vestabule is 24'' the kuiu is 30''. the kuiu is better for hunting with a budy due to that, you both have equal inner room and more vestabule. i still will go with the BSI tents for other reasons in the end.

return it.... kuiu is easy to deal with i think if you have an account with them and are the original owner. i agree the oarnge really killed it. my experience with big sky on the other hand has been rough. the worst customer service period that i have delt with in my life. has taken two months to get a tent from them that is in stock......and many phone calls and e mails. they have a great product but lack in the service area. its like dealing with a third world country. bob i think deals with it when he wants and just is what it is. in the end you get a great product but its lacking much in customer service. i have talked to him and sent many emails regarding my opinion and hope he changes that to obtain more positive experiences for paying customers. the kuiu 2p is a better tent in design i think than the big sky 2p rev with porch but its still good. the kuiu tent has a more ridgid feel to it, like a steel structure, i really like its stoutness, used last years over 30 nites with all scenerios, never was scared, mine never leaked but the clips failed that act in its integrity where poles cross. when i set up both BSI tent and Kuiu's the kuiu is far more ridgid with the carbon pole and pole design on the outer fly, the BSI flexes much as well has a different inner width. the BSI is not equal in the inside one side is wider than the other, the kuiu is equal. the BSI vestabule is 24'' the kuiu is 30''. the kuiu is better for hunting with a budy due to that, you both have equal inner room and more vestabule. i still will go with the BSI tents for other reasons in the end.

I can totally agree with your post. Although I haven't touched a BSI revolution I prefer the pole structure of the kuiu.

For the moment I'm pretty tired of stuffing around with tents, and being in Australia just drags the whole process out.
Also having no hunting seasons means that shipping tents back and forth eats into my hunting time. I'm sick of it and am just gonna get on with it and hunt, orange and all.
I have never seen another human where I hunt so I'm not too worried about some lowlife stealin my shit.

KUIU Ultra Star unauthorized copy of Big Sky's Wisp's tent

Big Sky, who I believe actually makes the tent for Kuiu has it listed at 20 oz without stakes for their heaviest silnylon. Kuiu is using poly, so I think it should be heavier than the nylon.

http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-wisp-1p-trekking-pole-tent.aspx

Big Sky International does NOT make KUIU's Ultra Star 1P tent, nor any other products for KUIU. KUIU purchased a Wisp tent from Big Sky then copied the design... Big Sky has asked KUIU to stop making copies of Big Sky's Wisp tent, but they refuse... I am not sure how KUIU can claim “world-class innovation” when the copy other company’s designs without their permission…

Big Sky International does NOT make KUIU's Ultra Star 1P tent, nor any other products for KUIU. KUIU purchased a Wisp tent from Big Sky then copied the design... Big Sky has asked KUIU to stop making copies of Big Sky's Wisp tent, but they refuse... I am not sure how KUIU can claim “world-class innovation” when the copy other company’s designs without their permission…

Thanks for clarifying. A lot of us made this assumption due to the obvious similarities. Due to the good reviews I have heard about Big Sky products I am glad to hear that you weren't involved in what many are saying is a major disappointment material-wise. Unfortunate that they would so blatantly steal your design and pass it off as their own.

Queue Shrek for some choice words about Kuiu...

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm assuming you are the Big Sky Int. Owner, right?

For sure thanks for clarifying.....that's a real dissapontment to hear, definatly a knock on Kuiu's integrity. Only way to rectify that is a full explanation on their part. Full disclosure. I seriously doubt they will own up to that though. I'll buy other products just based on this alone.

Last edited:
KUIU only does one or two things well. For them to try and branch out into a market that has companies like BSI, Hilleberg etc. always had me suspicious and they are clearly over reaching.

jm1607

WKR

Wow.

I thought you guys were working with Kuiu for sure. That sucks.. I don't like Kuiu but now I don't like them even more, which I didn't think could happen.. Do you have any patents? Can you take legal action?

That's what they do. Copy something, make a very slight change, say it's the most innovative creation ever and stick a ram logo on it. People go nuts. People see their advertisements of them repelling down glaciers and shit and think "that's what I can do if I wear Kuiu!". Reminds me of when I was a kid, I really wanted Reebok pumps because I thought they made you run faster and jump higher like MJ.. My parents never bought them for me :( lol

I guess the good news is they shouldn't really be taking any of your share of the market away, or at least not much. The only people that will buy their tents are Kuiu fanboys that want to own all Kuiu products or people that want to try one of every tent on the market and see which they like best, in which case they will buy your tents as well. Anyone that does any research will see that your tents not only are cheaper, lighter, and not obnoxiously colored but have many years of research and design put into them compared to theirs, not to mention yours don't leak and are plenty long enough..

Another good thing, if you google "Kuiu Ultra Star 1p Reviews" this thread is the 1st search that comes up so people will see all the problems with them, not too mention the unauthorized copying..

BTW, welcome to the site! You should be a sponsor ;)

Last edited:

Manosteel

WKR
This kind of stuff really sucks, they rip off smaller boutique companies, playing the odds that they don't have resource, money and/desire, to take legal action on patent infringement.

This is part of the reason I have been selling off all my kuiu clothing (shady business practices) the other part feeling like a fan boy goof dressed head to toe in verd at the trail head:p unfortunately where I am from, all the guys buying up Kuiu stuff are those who want to look like they are actually hard core backcountry hunters when in reality they rarely leave the side of their truck. ( but they do take great FB pics ;))

gelton

WKR
interesting the issue of kuiu copying is addressed, yet not the issues with bigsky's customer service or lack thereof at times...?

Perhaps because this thread is entitled Kuiu Ultrastar 1P First Impressions?

I personally had never heard of big sky before this thread and I suppose that the op has no first hand experience with Big Sky.

Assuming from your post that you do, start a thread and spill the beans, there are too many options out there these days to deal with companies like KUIU who obviously have no respect for their customers or the other companies that they rip off.