Kuiu Ultra Star 1P first impressions.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my new Kuiu Ultra Star 1P tent the other day. I am a total gram counting nut, but I haven't bought a new tent in 7 years. I currently have a sub-15 pound base weight for early season elk bivy hunts, so there's not a lot of potential for me to cut weight. I run the original version of the Tarptent Moment. With a few modifications, it's under 30 oz. The reasons I've never replaced it are the roominess and simplicity. I know I could go lighter with cuben, but the ease of setup with my Moment, combined with the cost of cuben, it just never happened. When it's pitch black on the mountain, and you just want to eat and hit the sack, it's hard to beat one pole and two stakes. I can easily set up my tent in under one minute, no exaggeration. Also, the Moment is widest and tallest right in the middle, right where you need it, sleeping and sitting.

I decided to try the Ultra Star, because, even having to use a separate pole (no trekking poles for me), I figured I could get it down to 18 oz. total. Shaving 11-12 oz off of my shelter is huge for me, dropping my base weight to 14 even. I wasn't sure about the design, as it's identical ( I mean IDENTICAL) to the Big Sky Wisp, and the reviews weren't great on it. I worried about condensation and space. The square footage is listed at 19.7 sq. ft., over 1.5 more than my Moment, but footprint area isn't everything. I would love to see more companies use total tent volume, in cubic feet, than square feet. This figure tends to speak more to total livable space than floor area alone, does.

So, I get the tent. I'm so stoked! First things first, as with all new gear, onto the scale! What the.....? The tent is constantly marketed "weighing in at a mere 18.9 oz." Not even close. If you look at the spec sheet on the website hard enough, you will find "total packed weight." Let's just say it's not 18.9 oz. My tent, all told, goes 24.4 oz.! My first problem with this is obvious. My market something at a dishonest weight. This is not a free-standing tent. It is useless without the stakes. Useless!

On the live feed promotional video, Edward Zmnginsky from Toledo, Ohio asks "Do the weights include the stakes?" To which Blaise from Kuiu replies "Yes." This is a false statement. Even the tent body alone doesn't weigh 18.9 oz. Why would I want to know the weight of a part of a piece of gear not including other parts that it REQUIRES to function? At the end of the day, a company with the word "ultralight" in it's name is selling gear that is 29% over the "marketed" weight to people who will obviously weigh their gear.

Next comes the design. Simply put, I was in no way able to lie in the tent, let alone sit up, without full contact with the low angled back wall of the tent. The pole obviously forms the peak of the tent, the high point. This is also the division between the living space and the vestibule. So, if you picture the profile of the tent from the front as a triangle, draw a vertical line from the peak to the floor. You are to the right of the line, you're only living in half the triangle. The wall comes up at a very low angle. I placed my Neo-Air mattress and a Marmot Helium 15 degree ( a medium-loft bag) in the tent, centered in the floor. The entire length of the bag was touching the back wall. Without me in it. When you lie down, the wall is a couple inches from your face. Every movement causes contact with the wall, and sitting up freely is out of the question. In a tent that will have a lot of potential for condensation (as admitted by Kuiu), this will make for a really wet trip.

Furthermore, ten stakes seems like a lot for a one man tent. If you hunt where it is very rocky, or has hard ground, this could make for a difficult and long set-up.

I will say, the vestibule is large, but I would rather have more living space. So, the tent is going back. I really enjoy Kuiu's clothing, but this tent was a big miss for me. Looks like I'll be enjoying my Moment for another year. Thanks for your time.

whitingja

WKR
Dang, I better go weigh mine. If this is the case, I will be sending it back and getting the new Protrail from Tarptent.

jm1607

WKR
I'm surprised kuiu didn't make it a little longer and wider.. They really try to market for athletically built people.. I guess the "lighter at all costs" mentality got the better of them

It's kinda strange the list the dimensions for the 2p but not the 1p..

Good review. Kuiu does list it at 18.9 ounces in their "description" portion on the website. When you download the Spec sheet from their website though under "sizing", it lists total packed weight of 1 lb. 8.4 ounces, which is exactly what you came up with Rusty. Kind of tough to claim 18.9 ounces when the only way to get close to 18.9 ounces would be to carry no stakes, which would be crazy for a 10 point guy out setup.

On one hand, I can understand them advertising the wt. not including the stakes as most companies do this, and a lot don't include stakes in the purchase price (wt. can fluctuate quite a bit depending on the stakes you get). On the other hand, KUIU does provide stakes with the package and also, given that they are required in the setup, I think that should be the primary wt. given. The way it's advertised on the site is misleading and total BS IMO. The fact that you have to investigate a little further by downloading the spec sheet goes along with my previous statement (BS).

Thanks for the honest review. I personally avoid the 1st model of any new product (be it a car, tent or any other damn thing) because there are always bugs to be worked out and Kuiu's reputation for debugging and discontinuing products is distinctive. Tarptents are proven designs and the owner is a just a wonderful guy...i'm certain you'll be happy. I usually pack a hammock but love my tarptent for treks above the treeline.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I just think an American made tent for less money is a no brainer and there are many options there over this model.

OP
R

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, the tent weights are not all that clear. The tent is listed at 18.9 oz. in the description, 18.9 oz. on the live product launch, and 17.7 oz. in the catalog. So, two different weights, all of them inaccurate, in three different locations. I guess my point was that it's disappointing to me for a company who sells ultralight gear to list their products ANYWHERE at an incomplete weight, excluding necessary components. They also specifically said in a question with the live feed that the weight DID include the stakes. I'm probably going to read that and believe it.

I will admit that I knew there was a 75% chance I'd be returning the tent because of either weight or design issues that could only be seen first hand. You'll notice there are no pictures or footage of anyone in the tent, because you would see how ridiculously low that back wall is. I bought it as a calculated risk, and figured if my concerns bore out, I could just send it back. No harm, no foul. That's a risk we all take when we purchase gear we can't see or touch first.

I simply wanted people who might be interested in it to know that it is not roomy enough to sit up, or really even lay down, without single wall contact, and that you're not getting a 18.9 oz. tent. Frankly, the tent body alone doesn't even actually weigh only 18.9 oz. either.

It's for exactly these reasons that I've had my tarptent Moment for seven years. I can't find another full tent to beat it for room, ease of setup, weight and cost. It's been an incredible value.

So again, just wanted to offer up an honest first impression to let people know that if you have a shelter you like that is in that pound-and-a-half to two pound range that is roomy, this tent isn't much of an option for an upgrade. I ordered the Ultra Star right away because I was curious, and figured if I waited till the first run ran out, I'd never get my hands on one to confirm or dispel my concerns. Got it all figured out, sticking with the Moment. Hope this clears up my intentions.

The website is pretty clear that the body weighs 18.9oz, and the complete weight is 1lb 8.4oz. You listed the weight of yours at 24.4oz, that's pretty spot on.
As to the remainder of your review I'm not arguing at all.
For my own edification, since you weighed 24.4oz complete, and your body weighed more than 18.9oz, what did your stakes weigh?

I just saw that a mod on the KUIU forum acknowledged the wt. measurements posted on their website being confusing, and said that they were going to fix it.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Does it leak too? Did they say??? Still awaiting their official recall of their first tent.

They actually addressed that in their product release suprisingly, every KUIU forum thread got deleted on it though. They explained the old fly was a dwr coated fabric, and they tried replicating leaks but could not, but still felt the need to move to a PU coated fabric based on some returns. I also asked why no sil-nylon......they said simply so they could seam tape. Of course the penalty is weight and packed size.

That said, this thread is a useful review of the product and things to cnsider for potential buyers. Let's keep it that way.