KUIU's New ICON 5200 & 7200 Packs, Rain Covers & Dry Bags - Now Available On-Line

KUIU's New ICON 5200 & 7200 Packs, Rain Covers & Dry Bags - Now Available On-Line

KUIU's New ICON 5200, ICON 7200, Pack Rain Covers and Roll Top Dry Bags are now available to order on-line. Select the below link for complete purchasing information. Once there, select the BUY NOW icon and go directly to KUIU's "SHOP" site to purchase.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=6b6fd99fe17ac245526a52fd1&id=f9fdcb12b0&e=7eed03feef

The new ICON 5200 & 7200 interchangeable modular packs now have 200 cubic inches of additional space. The weight has been decreased by implementing new fabric technology and improved design, while maintaining easy access and storage organization for your hunting equipment. Both packs along with the previously released ICON 1850 Day-Pack, work interchangeably with KUIU’s ICON Carbon Frame and Suspension.

Pack Rain Covers in 3 sizes and Roll Top Dry Bags in 5 sizes are also available in new colors.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Patrick, Your packs appear to of come a long way from the days of old. Id love to put your pack to work and test it out with a review. Very interesting. Love the Video too.

cmeier117

WKR
What is the difference between the 5200 and 7200? Are all the pockets the same size, and the main bag just bigger? Do they both have a snow collar?

Jager

WKR
Unfortunately not cmeier117, apparently just the bottom and back, still a move in the right direction.

Anyone know much about the new frame?

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
I love the look of these packs, and would still own one if my original Icon 3000 fit me. But these are still way too heavy for "ultralight hunting", thus my recent purchase of a Kifaru Bikini frame. It's nice to know you can haul a heavy meat load if/when you get lucky, but at nearly 6# you pay the price every day when you don't.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I love the look of these packs, and would still own one if my original Icon 3000 fit me. But these are still way too heavy for "ultralight hunting", thus my recent purchase of a Kifaru Bikini frame. It's nice to know you can haul a heavy meat load if/when you get lucky, but at nearly 6# you pay the price every day when you don't.
Hmm as much as I like my Kifaru I don't think these Kuiu packs at 5 pound 12 oz are that much heavier when you consider how much a bikini frame with a Duplex Timberline 1 packbag on it with a long hunter lid. I believe the Kuiu pack with their 7K bag would be within 8 oz of a Kifaru. Now I'm going to go with Kifaru everyttime simply cause thats what I know works for me and shy away from the carbon framesheet of the Kuiu, but I would say that 5.75 pounds for a 7K cu in pack is still pretty darn good IMO.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Hmm as much as I like my Kifaru I don't think these Kuiu packs at 5 pound 12 oz are that much heavier when you consider how much a bikini frame with a Duplex Timberline 1 packbag on it with a long hunter lid. I believe the Kuiu pack with their 7K bag would be within 8 oz of a Kifaru. Not I'm going to go with Kifaru everyttime simply cause thats what I know works for me and shy away from the carbon framesheet of the Kuiu, but I would say that 5.75 pounds for a 7K cu in pack is still pretty darn good IMO.

Agreed. Still light for the space and pockets you are getting.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
No one is saying the KUIU is not a lightweight pack, but they are not ultralight as advertised. If you are going to extremes for weight you don't need all those pockets and gadgets, or such a robust frame. Not everyone can haul 100+ pounds, or need the capability to do so. It’s a weight penalty you pay every day that you may not ever use. That’s why many have meat hauler frames back at the trailhead.

At least KUIU packs are going back down in weight. A Kifaru bikini with 4800 highcamp bag is at least 1# 5oz less than the Icon 5200 (w/shorter stays the bikini weigh even less). A Stone Glacier Terminus is 3.95# and 6300 ci. Now that's the ultralight idea.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think packs are pretty user type specific. Some folks dig the Kifaru tubes and then add pockets, modify lids, etc. Others like all the pockets built into the pack. Given the right guy and the right parameter I think these packs are pretty cool to see. I dig the extra pockets... Even if I bought a Glacier Terminus I would end up adding weight by filling stuff sacks... Its nice we all have pretty good options to choose from... :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
No one is saying the KUIU is not a lightweight pack, but they are not ultralight as advertised. If you are going to extremes for weight you don't need all those pockets and gadgets, or such a robust frame. Not everyone can haul 100+ pounds, or need the capability to do so. It’s a weight penalty you pay every day that you may not ever use. That’s why many have meat hauler frames back at the trailhead.

At least KUIU packs are going back down in weight. A Kifaru bikini with 4800 highcamp bag is at least 1# 5oz less than the Icon 5200 (w/shorter stays the bikini weigh even less). A Stone Glacier Terminus is 3.95# and 6300 ci. Now that's the ultralight idea.

I guess we can agree to disagree, less than 2 years ago aside from the KU line from Kifaru, Kuiu WAS the lightest hunting packs on the market. They are not advertised as ultralight packs but ultralight HUNTING packs to which there is a BIG difference. Sure I anyone could take their UL gear and go backpacking with a sub 2 pound UL pack for a weekend that has a limited or no frame at all. But these are hunting packs not backpacking packs. Which in my mind atleast puts these packs in a different category. Sure there are those that can't or won't pack 100 pounds and there are those that have the luxury to leave a framed pack at the truck.

If that is the case great, you can surely get away with a lighter pack with not such a robust frame, but then in my mind atleast they wouldn't be a true hunting pack in the first place. Kuiu isn't designing their packs to target guys that never carry over 100 pounds, nor are they designing them for guys that are only in the backcountry far enough to beable to hike out and get a "real" frame pack. I would say up until 2 years ago before SG and Kifaru came along the only "hunting" packs that came in sub 6 pounds from "hunting" companies was the KU line as I stated before. I would much rather pack a frame that can handle 100 pounds and able to haul that weight out of the backcountry rather than going to get a real pack. To each their own.

Keep in mind a 4 pound pack still isn't considered ultralight either by ultralight standards at all, in fact its about twice as heavy as it needs to be. But we are talking about hunting packs. If that were the case I packed out a black bear a couple years ago with a 2 pound 15 oz REI Flash 65. Yep it did it, it was lightweight pack for sure being sub 3 pounds, but I would have traded 3 pound extra in a quality pack frame than to have one that the suspension wasn't quite up to snuff as I really don't see the "savings' of having to hike miles back out to the truck to go get a real pack. You are time and effort ahead starting with a pack that can do the job from the get go in my experience. Obviously your need as a backpack hunting differ from others and Kuiu isn't designing the pack for your needs which is fine, but I still stand by my statement that a sub 6 pound hunting pack is still in my mind considered an ultralight HUNTING pack.

All that said I have a Kifaru Bikni/Highcamp 7K with longhunter lid, grab it, waistbelt pockets, and rifle carrier its with in a half pound of that 7200 cu in pack listed by Kuiu, but I'm not using the Kuiu. ;) I guess I don't have an ultralight hunting pack by your standards either...which is fine or needs in a pack are different and certainly nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day we are all pretty lucky to have as many options out there to choose from. Just find which one curtails your needs best and rock on!

Last edited:

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
An option for a less frills bag would be great, like the Highcamp (which could be lighter too). I had the original Icon 3000, I lost things in it with all those pockets. Reminded me of my first fly fishing shirt. I had 20 pockets and never could find anything. I can't understand what stuff you have to fill all those pockets on an backpack hunt. A few compression bags and stuff sacks and I have everything I need for organization, and I'm a neat freak.

I think Jason designed his packs for Jason. Most of his gear will never see the inside of an airplane. One has the think KUIU's primary market is western elk and deer hunters who might do a 7 day trip 3-4 mile from the trailhead. Very few are lucky (rich) enough to hunt sheep, not many tags are even available in the lower 48.

My only worry about the pack is the its the 3rd year and 3rd Gen! and each year they keep saying that it's perfect. Maybe they got it a little better this time, but if mystery ranch or kifaru had 3 packs and 3 generations, they would get bashed to hell on the forums.

dotman

WKR
My only worry about the pack is the its the 3rd year and 3rd Gen! and each year they keep saying that it's perfect. Maybe they got it a little better this time, but if mystery ranch or kifaru had 3 packs and 3 generations, they would get bashed to hell on the forums.

I personally think the carbon idea is the Achilles heal, cool concept but once it breaks your done.

Rizzy

WKR
I kinda wonder what would happen if there was an elk quarter in the pack and you were to set it down on those stays that project into the belt, at an awkward angle. Carbon is supposed to be stronger than steel, I wonder how flexible it is.

I agree, if Kuiu made a pack with minimal pockets, that would be awesome and probably one of the lightest hunting packs on the market.

ckleeves

WKR
IMO Kuiu is doing a pretty good job with their packs. I don't own one but for as new to the scene as they are I think they are building very nice packs. The high end pack market is pretty tough to just jump into and compete with companies that have 30+ years experience. To be considered in the top 5 hunting pack manufactures is pretty impressive to me.

They might not be perfect now but I really doubt that the first Mountainsmith or Dana design packs were perfect and look where they are now.

Beastmode

WKR

Timberline, the next year duplex timberline, and this year bikini. Multiple generations of packs just means a company is trying to meet the demand of the market. The reason Kifaru hasn't been bashed is because all have worked great with maybe a few small issues.

If your frame is snapping you have some issues. I do truly believe in the next few years KUIU is going to have a pack that will put it up there with the big dogs. Until Jason gets more people who spend a ton of time out of a pack every year this isn't going to happen.