Ladder Offset or Safety Rails

treillw

WKR
Climbing up on a few hundred roofs a year for work and want to try to make it safer, so I don't miss out on any hunting (or breathing).

I've been looking at the little giant Epic, with its safety rails. Has anybody used one of these or a ladder with similar safety rails? I like that it lets you step over the top of the ladder and directly onto the roof, instead of around the side. Going around the side always feels like the sketchiest part.

Also looking into a ladder max stand off. This doesn't seem as good to me. You still have to step around the side of the ladder and it also moves it further away from the roof to make the leap longer.

Any other good solutions I'm missing?

Thanks!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Might do some shopping around, $$$$ seems a might high. Personally I was never a fan of that type of ladder, but I'm sure they have improved over they years.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Work pays for it. Don't care about cost. Want the best.

You should get step throughs for an extension ladder. Tie the ladder off top and bottom and youll have rails to step through at the roof line. Guardian makes the best one.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
You should get step throughs for an extension ladder. Tie the ladder off top and bottom and youll have rails to step through at the roof line. Guardian makes the best one.
The extension ladders are just a pain to transport.

Drenalin

WKR
My experience with the fold-up ladders is that they're a PITA to deal with. I'd personally prefer an extension ladder with the step through. I know a lot of Johnny Homeowners with Little Giants, but all the roofers I know use extension ladders, for whatever that's worth.

The newer Little Giants are much better than the older ones.

And the step through options are so nice.

The little giant is at least twice the weight of a Werner aluminum extension ladder if not more. Also a PITA to adjust out to length then get vertical. I am not a fan. They have their place but the weight is a deal breaker for me.

ODB

WKR
I would also recommend a standard extension latter and a Guardian 10800:

These slip over the end of the ladder and give you a positive handhold as you walk over the top. Never rest the arms themselves on the roof.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
The issue I have with an extension ladder is transportation. I'm not putting a roof rack on my vehicles to drive this thing around. It probably wouldn't even fit in the back of my truck right and I have plans to get a rav4.

The little giant is only 38 pounds. Is that really that bad? You guys are packing meat out of the woods, right...?

def90

WKR
The issue I have with an extension ladder is transportation. I'm not putting a roof rack on my vehicles to drive this thing around. It probably wouldn't even fit in the back of my truck right and I have plans to get a rav4.

The little giant is only 38 pounds. Is that really that bad? You guys are packing meat out of the woods, right...?

Packing something on your back has nothing to do with trying to carry a large heavy ladder around someone's home without smashing up the walls and trim. Believe me, I work construction and I've had a couple guys over the years use those ladders and they suck balls.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Packing something on your back has nothing to do with trying to carry a large heavy ladder around someone's home without smashing up the walls and trim. Believe me, I work construction and I've had a couple guys over the years use those ladders and they suck balls.
What length aluminum extension ladder would you recommend for getting onto most single story roofs?

def90

WKR
generally a 16footer should get you on most roofs. If you want something that folds up Gorilla makes a fiberglass folding ladder that reacheds 15 ft and weighs only 30lbs.

They also make a model that is simialr to the Little Giant with an 18ft reach but also only 30lbs.

I've just always found these fold up multi position ladders to be heavy, clunky, difficult to open, close and extend. I would rather put a rack on my vehicle and carry a propper ladder. I've also been up ladders with the walk thru rungs on top and I don't think it was significantly any safer. You are still making the turn around and the first blind step regardless.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
You're obviously going to need a ladder rack and extension ladder if you plan on climbing on hundreds of roofs per year. Start there. Then look at step throughs and tie downs. I'm worried about the rest of your setup if you planned on getting on hundreds of roofs with a little giant packed in a Rav 4.