Lanai Mouflon/Axis Logistics Questions

tjr

FNG
Greetings, Roksliders-
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I pulled a Lanai rifle permit for a sheep/deer hunt in mid-September and I'd love to get some opinions.
The computers really favored me this year and I have a ton of tags in my pocket for MT, ID, WA, AZ, and HI - so this trip (lower priority than elk, etc) is going to be on the cheap-cheap. Dirtbag style.

Please share your thoughts/advice:

Travel/Access:
I'm bringing my old lady, so we're staying on Maui. I'll take the ferry back and forth to hunt.
- Do they inspect your luggage while boarding the Maui-Lanai ferry? Can I lug a cooler and hunting pack+rifle around with me?
- Looks like I can rent a cheap economy car on Turo for $35/day. I can pick it up and drop it off at the harbor where the ferry lands. Seems like a car would be handy.

Gun:
Planning on taking my 18" 6.5 Grendel AR, so I should be in compliance with Hawaii gun laws (10-rd mags) *and most importantly* break it down and slip it into my pack while on the ferry/traveling/in public.
- Any concerns with this? Seems like everything should be legal...right?

Meat:
Looking forward to bringing some tasty flesh home, so the plan is to quarter the critters and bring 'em in coolers to our our Airbnb in Maui, where I can wrap and freeze it all for the trip home.
- Sound effective?
- Taxidermy is in the back of my mind, but...that might be a conversation for a later trip. Right now, I'm thinking about meat. Unless I drop a beautiful ram (unlikely)...we'll see.

Thoughts? What am I missing? Anything else to account/plan for?
Thanks, y'all.

Greetings, Roksliders-
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I pulled a Lanai rifle permit for a sheep/deer hunt in mid-September and I'd love to get some opinions.
The computers really favored me this year and I have a ton of tags in my pocket for MT, ID, WA, AZ, and HI - so this trip (lower priority than elk, etc) is going to be on the cheap-cheap. Dirtbag style.

Please share your thoughts/advice:

Travel/Access:
I'm bringing my old lady, so we're staying on Maui. I'll take the ferry back and forth to hunt.
- Do they inspect your luggage while boarding the Maui-Lanai ferry? Can I lug a cooler and hunting pack+rifle around with me?
- Looks like I can rent a cheap economy car on Turo for $35/day. I can pick it up and drop it off at the harbor where the ferry lands. Seems like a car would be handy.

Gun:
Planning on taking my 18" 6.5 Grendel AR, so I should be in compliance with Hawaii gun laws (10-rd mags) *and most importantly* break it down and slip it into my pack while on the ferry/traveling/in public.
- Any concerns with this? Seems like everything should be legal...right?

Meat:
Looking forward to bringing some tasty flesh home, so the plan is to quarter the critters and bring 'em in coolers to our our Airbnb in Maui, where I can wrap and freeze it all for the trip home.
- Sound effective?
- Taxidermy is in the back of my mind, but...that might be a conversation for a later trip. Right now, I'm thinking about meat. Unless I drop a beautiful ram (unlikely)...we'll see.

Thoughts? What am I missing? Anything else to account/plan for?
Thanks, y'all.
Good with a cooler/gear on the ferry.
Do NOT rent a car. You need a truck.
Careful breaking an AR down and putting in your pack. Rifles need to be cased at all times traveling from your domicile to shooting range/hunt location. I’m not sure a backpack will qualify as a case. Hawaii has very odd firearm laws…you will need to register it with police department within 24hrs of arrival. They do a background check and photos etc.
Just bring the rifle case you flew over with. Double check rules for carbines/mag caps etc…I would just bring a bolt gun for simplicity.
Axis is awesome. Mouflon will make great sausage haha…actually not bad but axis is waaay better. Just cape the ram and freeze it…they are tiny. I flew back with one in carry on bag no issues…all the meat boned out plus cape and horns is maybe 25lbs. Make sure it’s frozen and you will be fine.
Going back and forth each day will limit your hunting hours…last ferry is at 6 I think.

OP
T

tjr

FNG
Good with a cooler/gear on the ferry.
Do NOT rent a car. You need a truck.
Careful breaking an AR down and putting in your pack. Rifles need to be cased at all times traveling from your domicile to shooting range/hunt location. I’m not sure a backpack will qualify as a case. Hawaii has very odd firearm laws…you will need to register it with police department within 24hrs of arrival. They do a background check and photos etc.
Just bring the rifle case you flew over with. Double check rules for carbines/mag caps etc…I would just bring a bolt gun for simplicity.
Axis is awesome. Mouflon will make great sausage haha…actually not bad but axis is waaay better. Just cape the ram and freeze it…they are tiny. I flew back with one in carry on bag no issues…all the meat boned out plus cape and horns is maybe 25lbs. Make sure it’s frozen and you will be fine.
Going back and forth each day will limit your hunting hours…last ferry is at 6 I think.
Thanks for the info!

I’m planning to spend a couple nights bivy-ing over there to maximize hunting hours.

Why a truck? Roads are really rough? What’s wrong with parking a car at a trailhead or on the side of the road and hiking in?

Thanks for the info!

I’m planning to spend a couple nights bivy-ing over there to maximize hunting hours.

Why a truck? Roads are really rough? What’s wrong with parking a car at a trailhead or on the side of the road and hiking in?
there is no overnight camping in the hunting area and the wardens patrol at night and will cite you and revoke your hunting privileges. The camping area by the beach has park rangers and no hunter camping is allowed there either esp if they see you with a firearm. Think it's lanai residents only anyways at the moment allowed camping down there.

And yes you need a truck. roads are very rough. even worse when it rains..it;s a scramble to rent all the 4x4 trucks on the island when the draw comes out. unless you have a 4x4 truck and place to stay lined up right when draw comes out you are pretty much sol as they both go fast.
Screenshot 2022-08-26 10.25.10 PM.png

as for your plan with your gun, it's clearly posted as you enter the ferry that they reserve the right to search your belongings if necessary on board. i think that's mostly for drugs and could you get away with it yea, but off duty MPD is regularly on the ferry going to and from as most of the lanai officers live on maui. having a cooler/bunch of hunting gear might raise suspicion pretty sure you'd be looking at a felony just carrying a rifle around in your backpack. if the warden checks you or cop on the lanai roads and your firearm isnt in a case you can get dinged too they have a bunch of notices about it at the check in station warning against not having you gun encased when traveling around the island. like molon labre said about needing to register your weapon at the police station when entering the state we have extremely strict gun laws.

Being so late to the game with logistics it honestly might not even be worth it for you. the deer and sheep have been getting pounded since may. 4 straight weeks of archery then wed-sunday every week rifle hunting since early june. Hearing a lot of guys on social media grumbling about how poor of a hunt its been because this is the second year they've done it like this (nonstop may-oct deer and sheep) and all the game is spooking off to the safe areas outside the state leased hunting zone. We had a big storm too last december that supposedly killed a bunch of animals. My weekend is in a couple weeks but i'm only going on my 2 days off not really putting much more of an effort than that. also last ferry is at 4p now if you were planning on still going back and forth.good luck

Screenshot 2022-08-26 10.41.44 PM.png

OP
T

tjr

FNG
Very valuable info. Thanks! It has been tough finding info about the hunts.

I was wondering how the intense hunting pressure was going to affect game movement.

@bojangles808 which weekend is your hunt?

Yea yesterdayI talked to my brother in law who lives there and had last weekends dates and he said it was brutal didn't see much, everywhere is parched and dry. I have Sept 7-11. Not expecting much but it will be 4 years ago almost to the day that I shot the 31in ram in my avatar so I'm hoping that's a good omen.

Verify this as I’ve not hunted in HI in awhile…

You may need to register your firearm with the police for each area you have it.

Your rifle will be added to a national firearm registry.

Learn the CC laws so you don’t run afoul of those while transporting your firearm.

OP
T

tjr

FNG
Yea yesterdayI talked to my brother in law who lives there and had last weekends dates and he said it was brutal didn't see much, everywhere is parched and dry. I have Sept 7-11. Not expecting much but it will be 4 years ago almost to the day that I shot the 31in ram in my avatar so I'm hoping that's a good omen.
That’s unfortunate. I’ll be there the following week. Would love to hear how your hunt goes - and if you’re still around for a few days after, I’ll absolutely buy you a beer when I show up on the 12th!

Kaeo

FNG
That’s unfortunate. I’ll be there the following week. Would love to hear how your hunt goes - and if you’re still around for a few days after, I’ll absolutely buy you a beer when I show up on the 12th!
Howzit TJR,

Local (Oahu) and made the trip for my hunt last weekend, had only a day and a half bc of family commitments and tagged a ram. Happy to share some thoughts and intel, dm me.
Aloha

OP
T

tjr

FNG
Howzit TJR,

Local (Oahu) and made the trip for my hunt last weekend, had only a day and a half bc of family commitments and tagged a ram. Happy to share some thoughts and intel, dm me.
Aloha
Very cool. Messaging you now

OP
T

tjr

FNG
Howzit TJR,

Aloha
Just realized that I haven’t posted enough yet to send PMs (new Rokslider). Would you mind shooting me a message? Maybe that will work. I’ll try to reach out once I have full privileges

OP
T

tjr

FNG
Yea yesterdayI talked to my brother in law who lives there and had last weekends dates and he said it was brutal didn't see much, everywhere is parched and dry. I have Sept 7-11. Not expecting much but it will be 4 years ago almost to the day that I shot the 31in ram in my avatar so I'm hoping that's a good ome

How's the hunt shaping up?

How's the hunt shaping up?
not great, finished up yesterday so got 2.5 days in. Moved around to my usual sheep areas that's I've seen rams/killed in the past. Way too many ewes. Saw 20-30 a day and only a couple very young rams and mumus. saw one 3/4curl "shooter" out of 100+ sheep but he was in a bad spot. If i wasn't seeing sheep id think it's me but I think a lot of rams have been shot out and the sex ratio is awful. Wish theyd bring back earn a ram. Hardly saw any deer too but I think theyve fled to the thick safe non hunting areas closer to town bc if the drought and once the shooting starts. Good luck

Screenshot_20220910-080803.png

OP
T

tjr

FNG
not great, finished up yesterday so got 2.5 days in. Moved around to my usual sheep areas that's I've seen rams/killed in the past. Way too many ewes. Saw 20-30 a day and only a couple very young rams and mumus. saw one 3/4curl "shooter" out of 100+ sheep but he was in a bad spot. If i wasn't seeing sheep id think it's me but I think a lot of rams have been shot out and the sex ratio is awful. Wish theyd bring back earn a ram. Hardly saw any deer too but I think theyve fled to the thick safe non hunting areas closer to town bc if the drought and once the shooting starts. Good luck

View attachment 450658
Thanks for the info. I’m heading out Wednesday (9/14) and look forward to checking out some new country. I’ll be happy to put a ewe or two in the cooler and learn what it’s like to hunt this type of terrain. But… if I can come across a ram, that’s an added bonus. Same with the axis.

Any areas or type of terrain to avoid?

Korongo

FNG
Hey there, this is my first post.

I’m heading over to Lanai next week for the public hunt. It’s been helpful reading over this thread and I’d love any contacts or pointers to help me make the most of my time. The plan is to hunt my Wednesday through Sunday so hopefully I can get a lay of things in that time frame.

My license and exemptions are squared away and I rented a Jeep on Turo to get into the hunting area and plan on hoofing it in from the main roads. Sounds like it’s been tough hunting over there.

Conditions are looking dry. Is there water in any of the gultches or is it all rain dependent? I’ve looked over satellite images and tried to guess what is traversable but who knows until I’m on the ground.

I’ll post an update and pics once I get going and would appreciate any pm’s or contacts.

Thank you!

OP
T

tjr

FNG

I’m heading over to Lanai next week for the public hunt. It’s been helpful reading over this thread and I’d love any contacts or pointers to help me make the most of my time. The plan is to hunt my Wednesday through Sunday so hopefully I can get a lay of things in that time frame.

My license and exemptions are squared away and I rented a Jeep on Turo to get into the hunting area and plan on hoofing it in from the main roads. Sounds like it’s been tough hunting over there.

Conditions are looking dry. Is there water in any of the gultches or is it all rain dependent? I’ve looked over satellite images and tried to guess what is traversable but who knows until I’m on the ground.

I’ll post an update and pics once I get going and would appreciate any pm’s or contacts.

Thank you!
Starting my hunt tomorrow - I'll let you know what I learn.
Rented a 4wd and got an airbnb for a couple nights. Planning to hunt hard and bring some meat back. We'll see how it goes!

Kaeo

FNG
Thanks for the info. I’m heading out Wednesday (9/14) and look forward to checking out some new country. I’ll be happy to put a ewe or two in the cooler and learn what it’s like to hunt this type of terrain. But… if I can come across a ram, that’s an added bonus. Same with the axis.

Any areas or type of terrain to avoid?
TJR- Sorry I just replied to you via PM. Good luck tomorrow!

Kaeo

FNG

Thank you!
The gulches are rough but certainly not impossible, use the game trails, there are plenty of them. No running water in the gulches either. Animals will all be high ... probably top 1/3 of the mauna. Know the tradewind direction, it wraps over and around the island since the island is so low. Wind will dictate if you're hunting uphill, downhill or committed to sidehilling it. Aloha

Korongo

FNG
Starting my hunt tomorrow - I'll let you know what I learn.
Rented a 4wd and got an airbnb for a couple nights. Planning to hunt hard and bring some meat back. We'll see how it goes!
Good luck!! I look forward to hearing how it goes.