Kodiak spring gearlist

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, headed out to kodiak for spring bear off the road system. I’ve been on a handful of hunt/fishing trips mainland. Looking for some recommendations on gear. We are taking the ferry across so I am not too concerned about bringing extra gear to leave in the truck. Would you recommend a rubber set of rain gear? Anything else gear wise that we may want out on the island?

Cheers

Yes rubber rain gear. Good commercial stuff like helly hansen or grundens. I spring bear hunt in my chest waders. We hunt outta skiffs though.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
This was my quick/dirty list for a fly in. Hard yes on the rubber rain gear, at least a longer coat. Even when it wasn't raining it worked good to lay out on the glassing nob to lay on for mid day naps :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810_061223_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230810_061223_Samsung Notes.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 33
Guided or res? I’ve got a spring Kodiak bear hunt coming up too. I’ll be on the south end of the island, float plane drop off, res draw tag. Bombproof tents, inflatable motorboat, rubber rain gear, kifaru fulcrum, slickbag, good glass, snowshoes…

TaperPin

WKR
Hey guys, headed out to kodiak for spring bear off the road system. I’ve been on a handful of hunt/fishing trips mainland. Looking for some recommendations on gear. We are taking the ferry across so I am not too concerned about bringing extra gear to leave in the truck. Would you recommend a rubber set of rain gear? Anything else gear wise that we may want out on the island?

Cheers
The ride over on the Tustemena can be smooth, but it can also be hard on the stomach you aren’t used to being tossed and turned, so it’s common for even locals to take Dramamine before the trip.

A lot of people wear hip boots and a longish jacket rather than rain pants. If your feet are not well suited to the soft sole of rubber boots it’s best to sort that out early before you get there. My rubber hip waders were much more comfortable with a certain insole and sock combination. However, I can walk three times as far with stocking foot waders and good fly fishing boots, but make sure your hip waders are durable - thick Alders are the norm on Kodiak.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Guided or res? I’ve got a spring Kodiak bear hunt coming up too. I’ll be on the south end of the island, float plane drop off, res draw tag. Bombproof tents, inflatable motorboat, rubber rain gear, kifaru fulcrum, slickbag, good glass, snowshoes…
res non guided

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
This was my quick/dirty list for a fly in. Hard yes on the rubber rain gear, at least a longer coat. Even when it wasn't raining it worked good to lay out on the glassing nob to lay on for mid day naps :)
Zero degree bag plenty adequate

TaperPin

WKR
At one time you could borrow an epirb for free from the Sherrif’s office in Kodiak for no charge. I don’t know if they still do that.

The outfitters used to string electric fences around camps - I don’t remember if that was just in the fall, or also in the spring.

I‘ll always remember the 1,200lb sow that crossed the rifle range at 50 yards with her cubs - what a big girl. She got into some trouble and had to be put down. They walked 10’ into the alders and you’d never know she was there.

It still cracks me up when someone will be walking home from Safeway and get mugged by a bear for their groceries. Lol