Lander/Riverton Wyoming area

mbwa

FNG
I'm on the fence about applying for a position in Lander, Wyoming. From what I can tell online, it seems like a beautiful area. Both Lander and Riverton are pretty small, but not tiny. For those of you who have spent much time there, what is it like? Seems like the recreation opportunities would be pretty endless. Anything I should know about the area?

Thanks in advance!

BigDog00

WKR
Riverton is on a reservation. Lander is nice but pretty small. I would not live in Riverton. Lander is right at the base of the southern end of the Wind River Mountains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

What you want to know. I’m in lander right now looking at houses.

not much available for rentals house wise. Most stuff is north side of town and it’s pretty ghetto.

riverton is a dump.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the fence about applying for a position in Lander, Wyoming. From what I can tell online, it seems like a beautiful area. Both Lander and Riverton are pretty small, but not tiny. For those of you who have spent much time there, what is it like? Seems like the recreation opportunities would be pretty endless. Anything I should know about the area?

Thanks in advance!
If you can handle small town Wyoming living, Lander is great for the outdoors enthusiast. Almost everything you can ask for within reach, including all that the Winds have to offer.

Riverton, on the other hand, is not a place I'd want to live.

blb078

WKR
Bumping this just to see why people here don't like Riverton? We're looking at a place just outside there(off Missouri Valley) and the area seems nice. Year it's sandwiched in w/the reservation but the town itself it not actually on/in the reservation. The town itself seemed ok to me, is it Jackson, no but based on the comments people would make you think it's Chicago, St. Louis, or Detroit. There is a area in the SE part that isn't that great but you can find a bad part of almost any town in any state.

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
Living in the Missouri valley area would probably be nice. BUT, town is still Riverton. It has to be the smallest town where I’ve been approached by beggars multiple times. Restaurants suck. Even the Walmart has extra security in a certain part of the store.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I love Lander. I've only worked there probably a few weeks total at different times and hunted antelope near there. The area is a gorgeous area. I did hear that housing has gotten a little expensive but I didn't look at houses at all.

I know I could semi - easily look this up, but what is the reputation of the hospital in Lander? It's near the top of my list for a travel contract.

rcook10

WKR
I know I could semi - easily look this up, but what is the reputation of the hospital in Lander? It's near the top of my list for a travel contract.

Lander and riverton hospitals are lifepoint owned and total shitholes. The fired most of the local staff and are largely worked by travel contracts, riverton is so bad it has a large number of locum docs as well. I would steer clear from them as employers.

I agree with what others have said. I would stay away from Riverton. I don't have a lot of time in Lander but it does seem nice.

JRMiller

WKR
Man, i have a motel booked in Riverton in a couple weeks, this all has me wondering if all my gear will get stolen overnight there😯

BigDog00

WKR
Man, i have a motel booked in Riverton in a couple weeks, this all has me wondering if all my gear will get stolen overnight there😯

Although it can happen anywhere, I wouldn't leave anything you don't want stolen in your truck. At the very least I'd pull the big ticket items out and things that aren't easily replaceable (optics, weapons, boots, packs, etc.).