Larry Gougerfield

CorbLand

WKR
I was just relaying the facts relevant to the discussion. The brass i purchased increased by 30 bucks the day after I bought it. Not sure what your getting at.
Mostly in reference to my post earlier (post 84). The product that have been on the shelves were ordered in advance at an agreed upon price. Anything ordered after or outside of those contracts are subject to dramatic price increases.

Basically just proving my point to people that dont think that cost has increased for all companies involved.

wapitibob

WKR
I've been buying supplies at sportsmans and online for two months now, powder/primers/bullets with no increase in price. Potterfield/midway were the first to increase and they've continued that practice for the last month. He's the worst of the bunch.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly in reference to my post earlier (post 84). The product that have been on the shelves were ordered in advance at an agreed upon price. Anything ordered after or outside of those contracts are subject to dramatic price increases.

Basically just proving my point to people that dont think that cost has increased for all companies involved.
Ok yeah I get it and honestly didn't think much about how these retailers were effected by not having the volume of stock to sell because they too were effected by the shortage.

Make you think about purchasing contracts, not sure how it all shakes out between Mfrs and vendors if each purchase order is quoted and filled individually or if there are longer yearly or other contracts to supply x amount of product at x price quote valid until x date. Probably something to gain or lose in each scenario but not having a longer term supply contract can absolutely lead to volatile consumer pricing.

WCB

WKR
Ok yeah I get it and honestly didn't think much about how these retailers were effected by not having the volume of stock to sell because they too were effected by the shortage.

Make you think about purchasing contracts, not sure how it all shakes out between Mfrs and vendors if each purchase order is quoted and filled individually or if there are longer yearly or other contracts to supply x amount of product at x price quote valid until x date. Probably something to gain or lose in each scenario but not having a longer term supply contract can absolutely lead to volatile consumer pricing.
Some of them could be yearly for certain products depending on vendor/retailer but most are order as needed/projected for the next quarter or whatever. The vast majority of independent gun shops are buying from a middle man distributor/wholesaler. Places like Midway, Rogers, Palmetto are mostly buying direct from Manufacturer. Most government contracts are something like 1,000,000 rounds over x amount of years.

Times like these are more manufacturers or distributors saying "this is what we have do you want it cause that is all you are getting"

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed that Midway was significantly higher on the ammo I use for hunting compared to others. My lgs has Nosler Trophy Long Range Accubond in 280AI for $52.00 normally. Now they have it for $62.00/box. That's high as crap but they're paying more for it so I understand. Midway had it for $80 and change the other day. That's excessive if you ask me.

Some of you are getting a lesson in market dynamics. Housing is up, double in some places in the past ten years. Are they gouging? Nope. Supply and demand. Raw materials are up. You think ammo and components are bad, you should see lumber prices over the past year. Truck prices have quadrupled in the past 30 years, you gonna bitch about that too? Literally EVERYTHING has gone up in price. No one is making you buy anything, no one. You don't like the fact that other people are spending their money and paying those prices? Oh well. You need to find a support group. Supply and demand... maybe one day it'll sink in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
OSB and 2x4 lumber has pretty much tripled but i know of several factors that caused it, mainly logging shutting down for about a month last year when the market crashed according to my logger buddy. Glad i bought the framing package for my house while it was low, hopefully it'll come down some by the time i need the cedar for my deck lol. It pains me to pay these lumber prices, especially when i cant pass it on to a customer cause its my house..
I have ammo for my other guns but just got a 6.5 prc recently so I'll have to stock up and get reloading supplies when it comes down and just buy enough to get me by for now :p

Boomer51

FNG
I bought Netflix stock several years ago when it was cheap. Was I hoarding? It's up 3,234% since then. If I sell it at market price, is it price gouging? Should I sell it at a discount to people who need some now and didn't buy when it was cheaper?

If I stocked up on reloading supplies back then and my neighbor didn't, is it any different that the example above? Maybe I didn't go to the bar as often as he did, so I could afford stock and reloading supplies. Is there a way I can get some of the fun he had that I missed out on?

Free markets and choices...... I do feel bad for new gun buyers and people newly into reloading.....

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Would people complain or feel the same way if the prices fell significantly? It's a two way street, and many are only worried about their own interests. Sure, it pains me to see the prices right now, but it is what it is. Not that I think this is hyper-inflation per se, but I've held the view that we'll see hyper-inflation in the not too distant future. Can't just print money, hand it out to the general public for no reason, lower interest rates, etc without having serious inflation. Unfortunately wages won't follow, so buying power will be reduced for most. Will prices come down? Perhaps, a little, but what will it look like long term? Your guess is as good as mine.

My big concern is people over extending themselves while time are good. For example, they buy an expensive house, vehicles, toys while times are good and can barely afford it. What happens when times are bad? I feel like this country is prime for a major crash. Then what? Throw more printed money at the problem? Even if it doesn't crash, let's consider what will happen to all the industries and companies that are riding in high demand right now. What happens to Polaris in a year or two when the market is flooded with machines and demand for new ones drops drastically?

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Some of those projectiles or diameters all together may be only built once or twice a year. Some of these items in normal times could take months to get back in inventory if bought up...you just never noticed because they aren't bought in high volume.

I learned that lesson during the first Obama election.

I couldn't find 41 cal Sierra 210gr bullets to save my soul. I used to shoot with a fellow that worked for Sierra so I called him to find out why.

The answer was simply they were too busy making the popular stuff to worry about the odd ball calibers.

It was almost 2 years before I was able to find more than a box here or there.

Lesson learned.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed some of Midway's prices have gone up. I was kind of expecting that. I am actually surprized that it didn't happen sooner. They are still lower than you'll find on Gunbroker...... THAT is a wolves den.

My local shop has also increased their prices, even on the old stock they have had on the shelf. I noticed a few weeks ago that they had removed the price stickers and the new bar code sticker on the shelf was higher. Are they gouging? I don't think so. They are trying to stay in business. They were a high volume dealer. Now they have to pay the bills with the little bit they can get in stock to sell.

Am I gonna stop going there. No.

Am I gonna shop to find the best price I can. Yes.

Am I gonna buy the stuff I still want/need. Yes, just maybe not as much.

fmyth

WKR
Yesterday I purchased Berger 6.5C 130s at BulletCentral.com for $32.45 a box.
Today I received an alert that Midway has the same ammo for $54.99 a box. I'll sit and wait before I pay Larry 69% more than BulletCentral.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.34.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.34.48 PM.png
    465.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.33.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 1.33.55 PM.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yesterday I purchased Berger 6.5C 130s at BulletCentral.com for $32.45 a box.
Today I received an alert that Midway has the same ammo for $54.99 a box. I'll sit and wait before I pay Larry 169% more than BulletCentral.
69% more...but don't let sound mathematics deter your outrage.

Was not really expecting Midway USA to hop on the gouging wagon so readily. I invested in a nice .22 trainer a few years ago. Incredibly accurate .22. My “cheap” ammo that was 80%+ as good as the premium stuff was Norma TAC-22. Would normally be stock at Sportsman’s and almost always on sale for $3.98. Normally $4.98 for 50 catouches.
OP

I have 2 cases of TAC-22 in 22LR that I'll sell/trade. I paid less than $5 per 50 count. Please send me a PM if you're interested.

IMG_8088.JPG

*zap*

WKR
$1.20 a round is better than throwing rocks.....I got some cardboard silhouettes from midway today....best price around and they will be here fast.

Friends thought I was an idiot for how much I stocked up over the years. Now I feel like an idiot for not buying more!

gbflyer

WKR
Midway has product to sell, shipping is fair to AK as long as it fits in a flat rate box. And they process orders very quickly. I got an alert last night on some bullets, same price as before folks started their shooting supply side businesses on Gunbroker. Can’t get loaded ammo, powder, or primers shipped any other way than barge freight where I live, and that adds about $75 to a grocery store sized box of stuff over the regular fee for UPS and hazmat. My choice to live here, not complaining. A lot of folks don’t know how well they have it in terms of resupply though.

My bill payer/sammich-maker doesn’t like Midway but I sure do!

My local hardware still has 30-06 Core Lokt’s for $29/box. Lots of it. He’s gonna have to hide it before the summer tour-ons get here that hoard ammo into their suitcases to take back to Utah to sell though.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Ok Larry i defended ya before but

Same here, but not the pricing - it is the shipping that has ground my last gear.

Fast - not any more.

Two weeks ago I ordered a set of scope rings. They qualified for 'free' shipping. Note, nothing is free.

Next morning (Saturday) I got a "we've shipped your order" notice with a tracking number, however it wasn't until Tuesday afternoon that the shipper actually took possession of the package.

It didn't ship on Saturday. The label was created in the computer system and that is it. Sometime, either Monday or Tuesday it got picked, packaged, and Tuesday afternoon it actually left their facility.

That is not "Fast". It is not unreasonable either, but it doesn't measure up the the "I've always been a stickler for fast shipping..." that they still advertise.

Don't tell me that it has shipped until it has actually left your facility. Telling me it shipped on Saturday was a lie.

How it shipped is another problem I have since they still want to claim "fast shipping". My package is being sent by UPS Mail Innovations....... This is where a UPS and USPS hand the package back and forth and neither of them seem to care. Even the tracking states it is not a "Day Definite Service" which translates to "We have no idea when you'll get your package."

They are pretty 'innovative' for sure. On the 19th the package was supposedly transferred to USPS in a town less than 50 miles from me. The regional distribution hub for USPS is there. It should have been here the next day.
Nope. It went from there to a town 150+ miles away in Tennessee........ back to an Innovations facility. The icing on the innovative cake is it went right past me on its way there.

It has been stuck in Tennessee now for 3 days.

The last straw. I ordered a different set of rings a couple days ago. Didn't qualify for "free" shipping. Silly me thought that paying actual shipping - it would be shipped by a sole source.

Nope - it went out using the UPS Mail Innovations. God doesn't even know when they will show up.

Both orders were just for a set of rings. Each could have been stuck in a bubble envelope and mailed. Four or five days and they would have been here.

Good bye Larry. I'm not buying your shipping hype anymore.