Laser Cutting and Engraving

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
We purchased a laser cutting machine at the beginning of the year. When it's not cutting fabrics, plastics, foam, etc for our gear...it sits idle. I'm trying to think of creative things to do with it.

It can laser engrave wood, leather, acrylics, marble, etc. What kind of custom type stuff intrigues you guys that may be done on a laser?

If I had a laser engraver (almost) everything I own would be getting engraved with my name and phone number. I’m too good at losing stuff.

ODB

WKR
Hmm

Are you saying you can use the laser to cut materials in the same way some places use a die cutter? How clean is a cut on leather?

Are you able to import a customer-created file to create the templates? Like Illustrator, etc?

Hmm

Are you saying you can use the laser to cut materials in the same way some places use a die cutter? How clean is a cut on leather?

Are you able to import a customer-created file to create the templates? Like Illustrator, etc?

I've cut on a 100W laser, and it cuts something like 1/8" particle board with a very clean and smooth edge. I would guess leather would be similar. And yes you can import .ai's and other vector files to cut. My local Makerspace has one I use often.

The panels on Exo's K4, on the hip belt and shoulder straps, I assume are "Hank," cut on a laser cutter to yield a sealed edge.

K4-FRM-CY-Angle.jpg

Reactions: ODB
OP
TandKHunting

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
Hmm

Yes, we can do all of that. We manufacture nylon hunting gear, so all of our components within a product are cut with the laser. For PALS, like the backpack picture above, we laser cut B52 Squadron. I can actually cut through 1/8" HDPE without a problem. I could probably cut through much thicker stuff if I needed to.