Last week of September Elk

Pgohil

WKR
I generally hunt between the 10th and 20th of September. Been pretty successful over the years doing that. This year I'll be hunting from the 21st through the 29th. Just wondering what people's opinions were about how the challenges of archery season change. I understand early season pretty well and everything leading up to peak right but not what to do during this last week or so of September..

Appreciate the help.

PGohil
WV

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last week can make it easier to call in the young bulls, as the big guys will be cowed up and they are wanting some action and are tired of the big guys sticking them in the ass when trying to score 🤣 expect good bugling activity.

Most years it seams like the bulls quiet down sometime in that period. For the most part though there are still bulls bugling somewhere.

I think during this period we almost always actually call the bulls into bow range. If we don’t get a shot it’s due to trees/branches blocking vitals or something like that.

We probably kill most of them with cow calls after locating with a bugle during this time.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Yeah, I kind of figured the herb bulls are going to be busy tending cows and not really wanting to come and challenge anyone bugling at them. But the satellites and those tasty spikes should be a little more susceptible because more cows being in estrus and them being all torqued up.

wyogoat

WKR
The last two weeks are generally solid I think. Some years that last week is the best we get. I always bank on week three for consistency but when vaca was not an issue I hung my hat on the last two weeks every year.