Late season one person tent

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to see what you guys are and have been running for later season one person tents. I know the hilleburgs are at the top of the list but I’m looking for a bit more budget friendly option (if there is one that handles the job well) tarp tent moment is about the highest on my list. What have you guys ran?

wyosam

WKR
Depending on how you define late season, my late season camp is a 4 bedroom two bath with a hot tub. But I also live in the middle of my hunt unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on how you define late season, my late season camp is a 4 bedroom two bath with a hot tub. But I also live in the middle of my hunt unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
November in Idaho late season. Well that doesn’t sound like a type of one person tent but thanks.

I just recently purchased a Nature hike cloud up 2, they’re $109 on amazon. I’m heading to north west Colorado next couple weeks to give it a try. I’ve used it around the house (Ky) and so far so good but the coldest it’s been here so far is 39. I will let you know the results when I get back if you haven’t made your purchase by then.

Used hilleberg a option think I paid like 450 for my akto a few years back

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

If you're gonna get pounded with high winds and snow...don't skimp. I love Tarptents but not for serious weather. Unlike most here, when the weather is brutal and cold, I prefer a hammock to a tent. My little bear burrito can be warmed metabolically which is tougher inside a tent.

IMG_0283.jpg

Have you considered floorless, or are you considering floorless? If so, there are many options available that are much less expensive and much, much lighter than Hilleburg, and not made in China like Tarptent.

sneaky

"DADDY"
FWIW, not all the Tarptents are made in China. The DCF ones and a couple of their sil versions. It's aggravating though that in these times they moved production to China. I hope people let them know loud and clear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How about Dan Durston’s tent line. ... the X-MID
I have a Dan Dirston X-Mid 2P. Reports by thru hikers who have run these for hundreds of miles say they are bomber, and that's exactly what I would expect from Dan. I set mine up for a week in the backyard during our crazy thunderstorm season, and inside stayed bone dry. Under 3 pounds, plus weight of trekking poles or 2.6 oz carbon tent poles from Zpacks, which is what I use. That extra 5.2 oz allows me to keep the tent set up and hunt with my trekking poles along. Extremely easy to set up. You just peg it down in a rectangle shape and insert the poles. Palace inside with two doors huge vestibules outside. Silpoly means it doesn't soak up water or lose half it's strength after one sunny season like silnylon. And a reasonable price.
20200826_081630.jpg20200826_081413.jpg
20200826_081558.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I don't know sneaky, this is right off their website. This is in response to the question "Where are Tarptents made?" Given this answer, I would think that if any of their stuff was made in the USA, they would proudly advertise that.

Tarptent uses globally sourced materials and manufacturing. Every shelter is designed, assembled, checked and shipped by staff from our workshop in Nevada City, CA.

In their description of their DCF tents they say "USA made Dyneema® fabrics for the ultimate in strength and weight savings", but they don't say anything about the tent being made in the USA.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Man, I don't know sneaky, this is right off their website. This is in response to the question "Where are Tarptents made?" Given this answer, I would think that if any of their stuff was made in the USA, they would proudly advertise that.

Tarptent uses globally sourced materials and manufacturing. Every shelter is designed, assembled, checked and shipped by staff from our workshop in Nevada City, CA.

In their description of their DCF tents they say "USA made Dyneema fabrics for the ultimate in strength and weight savings", but they don't say anything about the tent being made in the USA.
I asked them directly a couple months back, they told me the DCF tents were made in China, the Stratospire silnylon tents were made in China, the rest were still being sewn in Seattle, but they weren't in production because of King Inslee's shut down of pretty much everything. If they've changed since then I haven't asked, but that was the answer I got from them when I asked. If they've all moved offshore then they'll be off my list of options going forward.

*zap*

WKR
For late season, if you mean very cold I use a gen 1 REI arete 2 man, if its only cold the REI clipper 2 is good or my MSR elixer1. I have the garage for the elixer1 if I want more room and will carry an extra #. That MSR garage also works on either front entry REI tent that I mentioned. Really comes in handy for cooking while staying inside the tent.

I asked them directly a couple months back, they told me the DCF tents were made in China, the Stratospire silnylon tents were made in China, the rest were still being sewn in Seattle, but they weren't in production because of King Inslee's shut down of pretty much everything. If they've changed since then I haven't asked, but that was the answer I got from them when I asked. If they've all moved offshore then they'll be off my list of options going forward.

Both of the Rainbows are also made in China. I was curious, and not too busy at work, so I went through all their tents and found that just over 50% (10 out of 19), are being made in China. I don't know for how long they've been sourcing work out to China, but I'd be willing to bet that when they did start doing that, the price of those tents did not drop. I'd also be willing to bet that their cost to manufacture those tents did drop. Purely speculation, but that's the way things usually go when a company starts off manufacturing stuff locally than moves operation over seas.

To the OP, it looks like you settled on the Hille, so this whole conversation is a moot point. Hope you enjoy your new tent and you get tons of use out of it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Both of the Rainbows are also made in China. I was curious, and not too busy at work, so I went through all their tents and found that just over 50% (10 out of 19), are being made in China. I don't know for how long they've been sourcing work out to China, but I'd be willing to bet that when they did start doing that, the price of those tents did not drop. I'd also be willing to bet that their cost to manufacture those tents did drop. Purely speculation, but that's the way things usually go when a company starts off manufacturing stuff locally than moves operation over seas.

To the OP, it looks like you settled on the Hille, so this whole conversation is a moot point. Hope you enjoy your new tent and you get tons of use out of it.
Yeah, that's what pisses me off. They cut their manufacturing costs substantially and maintain US- made pricing levels. Screw that. At least adjust for the difference and be up front about it.

Yeah, that's what pisses me off. They cut their manufacturing costs substantially and maintain US- made pricing levels. Screw that. At least adjust for the difference and be up front about it.

Same here. If you move your shit overseas to save money, you better share that savings with me, the customer. If you charge MADE IN USA prices for overseas products, I'm out, 100%.

If you can't beat prices of a USA manufacturer while building overseas, learn to do business better and pass that savings on to the customer. Also, be absolutely clear about where your products are made. I like how PROMETHEUS LIGHTS does this, they list exactly where each light is made in full size text right in the description, with a bright color FLAG of that nation just to make it even easier to see. Just own it.

There are people who have limited budgets and will buy Asian or other foreign made goods that are sold by US companies. But if you don't pass on your savings to the customer, I'm out. If you have to make it overseas because you can't find labor to do it here, and if that labor costs the same amount, it would help to explain that in your product description.