Layer System Help

Gonewest

WKR
Looking for suggestions on what to add to my layering system. Right now I have a peloton 130 t, peloton 97 hoodie and a peloton 240 full zip. I’m also using a Costco down vest, Eddie Bauer storm down jacket and a Cabela’s Berber fleece pullover.

I’m looking to replace the fleece pullover. I love it but it’s heavy and bulky. My main hunt is a November deer hunt and it can be cold and windy. I’m considering the Kuiu Axis or the Kuiu Chugach (maybe the Yukon). This isn’t a backpacking hunt weight isn’t my biggest concern.

If you were adding a jacket which one would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get a Jetstream from Sitka or hold off until we know more about how the Axis performs against the wind. I can tell you the kuiu guide jacket is not the answer for cold and windy. Two years with my Jetstream and if cold, snow or wind are projected it’s coming with backpack or dayhunt. I was packed in 12 miles early November this year for elk and had temps in the 20’s with 20-30 mph sustained wind. Guide pants were great and Sitka Jetstream jacket and Peloton 240 on top and I didn’t feel any wind. Guide jacket with wind in the 40’s and I’m freezing.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I got a guide jacket as a gift and I need a different size. From what I’ve read I don’t think it’s what I’m looking for. Since I’m returning it I’m looking at my other options. I’ve heard really good things about the Jetstream. I’m wondering how the Axis compares.

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
I can say I bought the Axis. I have been back and forth on if it’s worth it until today. I used in snowboarding as a test because we were expecting some really nasty weather on the mountain. It was 30-35 degrees basically all day, bottom of the mountain was rain/sleet, top of mountain was dumping snow, literally all day. I was wearing the Axis with an old under armor cold weather gear LS. The Axis far out did my expectations. I snowboarded for 8 hours straight with a 30min break in doors in the worst weather possible for a Softshell and I came out bone dry except my frozen fingers and my lower back and belly which was from a few nasty wipe outs in fresh powder. My body temperature was perfect with the strenuous work of boarding even with the wind. Not the coldest day but the wind was howling most of the day. I came in to the day wondering if the price tag was worth it, came out sold. Kuiu nailed it in my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth though, I love mine and it’s going nowhere now

I can say I bought the Axis. I have been back and forth on if it’s worth it until today. I used in snowboarding as a test because we were expecting some really nasty weather on the mountain. It was 30-35 degrees basically all day, bottom of the mountain was rain/sleet, top of mountain was dumping snow, literally all day. I was wearing the Axis with an old under armor cold weather gear LS. The Axis far out did my expectations. I snowboarded for 8 hours straight with a 30min break in doors in the worst weather possible for a Softshell and I came out bone dry except my frozen fingers and my lower back and belly which was from a few nasty wipe outs in fresh powder. My body temperature was perfect with the strenuous work of boarding even with the wind. Not the coldest day but the wind was howling most of the day. I came in to the day wondering if the price tag was worth it, came out sold. Kuiu nailed it in my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth though, I love mine and it’s going nowhere now

Did you feel any wind when on the chair or going down the slope?

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
Did you feel any wind when on the chair or going down the slope?

Very minimal. I didn’t notice any wind cutting through. After taking a lunch break I came out that first chair ride I was cold, but warmed up after the first run and from then on any wind was not even noticed. It’s obviously not a very warm jacket I’ll say that, but for what they designed it for (active late season, water proofing and bucking wind) it’s perfect. I’m gonna double it’s use as a mid layer in Ultra cold conditions because it’s so flexible like a fleece. Sleeves are very slim as well so layering more than an SD Ultra and LS will be tough.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Just bumping this up. Trying to decide between the Axis and Jetstream. Has anyone tried both?