Layering post-walk in (Treestand)

I hunt in Ohio during general gun. Its a walk in hunt. Once in I sit on the ground. I would first start with a wicking sock, then a merino wool sock and then a boot with a gortex bootie. Getting that moisture away from your feet a little at a time while your foot is sweating is key if you have cold feet issue. Same with the rest of your body. I use a high quality base layer to wick moisture away during my walk in. I dont wear too many cloths on my walk. Not getting too wet on the way in is better than dealing with being soaking wet when I get on stand. Once I get where I am going , hopefully still pretty dry I put on my insulating layers as need Which I carry in my back pack. Moisture control is key for hunts were you are physically active then sitting for a long time. I learned to take it easy walking to my stand. Manage your moisture as you go.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
as a guy who sweats all the damn time, even in negative temps. I wear as little as i can to a long stand walk. Like these guys said. Get some good moisture wicking socks. I wear thing layering sock then my heavy socks and I've never had an issue with cold feet when accompanied with a good boot. Being a fly fishing guide and getting frostbite once taught me about sock choice. Right now i use the kenetrek layering socks. Simms also makes a thin sock to pull away moisture. I find if my feet get cold it's over. My whole body starts.

Whenever I have a really long walk I just wear a t-shirt and pants. Even if it's 20 degrees. When I get to my tree I dry myself off with the shirt and put on dry clothes. Sometimes I just leave my shirt off until I start getting cold just to stop sweating. As long as I'm dry I never get cold.
I pretty much do this too. I’m a pretty heavy sweater unfortunately! I’ll walk in wearing as little as possible and go ahead and hang my set. Then if I have time I’ll chill for a min before I start layering up. I don’t like changing clothes 20’ up.

OP
Bigolbill

Bigolbill

FNG
I bought a pack this year finally, that’ll streamline things a little for the gear I’m packing in. Especially since i run Sitka, I’ve tried walking to the stand in bibs; even vented they’re too warm to walk around in.

I’m using darn tough socks, which I absolutely love. However, I’m curious about the whole sock-liner concept. Does anyone take the idea of layering baselayers and apply it to socks? For example, I wear core lightweight bottoms to wick, then core heavyweight bottoms to insulate and keep that layer dry. Do liners serve the same role? I do run 800g alphaburly pros, so I think my feet sweating will always be an issue.
(I did buy boot blankets this year & I’m excited to test them out)

Yooper

WKR
I bought a pack this year finally, that’ll streamline things a little for the gear I’m packing in. Especially since i run Sitka, I’ve tried walking to the stand in bibs; even vented they’re too warm to walk around in.

I’m using darn tough socks, which I absolutely love. However, I’m curious about the whole sock-liner concept. Does anyone take the idea of layering baselayers and apply it to socks? For example, I wear core lightweight bottoms to wick, then core heavyweight bottoms to insulate and keep that layer dry. Do liners serve the same role? I do run 800g alphaburly pros, so I think my feet sweating will always be an issue.
(I did buy boot blankets this year & I’m excited to test them out)
I've dealt with cold feet a lot up here and tried the whole liner sock thing. Now this is my experience only so take it for what it's worth, but for me it didn't work. I tried a light merino with a heavier merino over. Light merino with an alpaca sock over. A few other combos as well. What I found is that the more I layered the less air space I had in the boot and the less circulation in my feet. That was with Muck Arctic Pros and Field Master boots. I've pretty much gone exclusively back to a lighter leather boot and boot blankets now. If it's real cold I'll toss a chemical hand warmer in each boot blanket and that really adds some heat. They're a bit of a pain in the ass to carry around, but my sits are so much more enjoyable with them now.

gumbl3

WKR
Don't walk so damn fast.. If you're going so fast you're busting a sweat you're scaring off the deer anyway

RAPTOR

WKR
I've dealt with cold feet a lot up here and tried the whole liner sock thing. Now this is my experience only so take it for what it's worth, but for me it didn't work. I tried a light merino with a heavier merino over. Light merino with an alpaca sock over. A few other combos as well. What I found is that the more I layered the less air space I had in the boot and the less circulation in my feet. That was with Muck Arctic Pros and Field Master boots. I've pretty much gone exclusively back to a lighter leather boot and boot blankets now. If it's real cold I'll toss a chemical hand warmer in each boot blanket and that really adds some heat. They're a bit of a pain in the ass to carry around, but my sits are so much more enjoyable with them now.
My feet would get cold regardless of sock weight, boot insulation, boot type, and changing socks didn't help me either. Years ago I went to boot suits or boot blankets and I just wear lightweight darn tough socks and my uninsulated leather boots. Put them on immediately when I get in the stand and I'm good for hours especially with heat packs in there. I started carrying heavyweight stretchy wool socks and just putting them over the toes of my boots in my stand. It worked great last year and I may just continue doing that since the boot suits are bulky to carry in.

I find the liner sock invaluable for perspiration control and the benefits that provides for warmth. Good socks and insulated boots or blankets are still necessary but moving the moisture away from the skin helps. I have the same problems mentioned above with thick socks and thick liners reducing space and being counterproductive. The key is a thin wicking liner. The only ones I use are very thin and light 100% polypropylene with no expectation of insulation from them. They are just for moisture wicking and friction reduction. If I am wearing socks then I am wearing liners also.

OP
Bigolbill

Bigolbill

FNG
Don't walk so damn fast.. If you're going so fast you're busting a sweat you're scaring off the deer anyway
Agree to disagree, 1: there’s plenty of noises in the woods, 2: I’m not walking fast, but the effort of walking on undeveloped ground for a mile in 800g insulated boots with wool socks would make almost anyone’s feet sweat, regardless of a slow crawl or a speed walk.

*zap*

WKR
walking back in a bit when it is 30° and moderate wind......I start with my pant vents open if that is possible, and I have light base layer under them....may open all pockets also. On top I have a kuiu peloton 97 hoodie with the hood up, a light synthetic t shirt and a wool watch cap on, maybe a wool gaiter also. Strip off the headgear/gaiter as I go and maybe eventually the hood....if I am still overheating I will stop as necessary.....maybe even drop my pants down for a minute to add cooling. I also will wear very light liner socks to walk in ....this season I think I am going to go with down booties and an light overboot which are made to wear over the down booties around camp...I already purchased a down balaclava and will probably get another one with double 850 down fill. May also start bringing my down jacket/pants for the sit.....the cold weather clothes just weigh so much and are bulky to carry.

Be Bold and Start Cold.....

ymmv.

Last edited:

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Walk in wearing the lightest combo possible for the weather. At the bottom of the tree change socks and add lower layers. At the top add upper layers as needed.