Rifle stability in treestand

I’ve used a monopod in the stand and also screw ins to rest my gun on the shots behind me.

I would still like more stability and wondering if there is a way to rig up a webbing sling around the tree for support for the frontal shots ?

I’ve used a monopod in the stand and also screw ins to rest my gun on the shots behind me.

I would still like more stability and wondering if there is a way to rig up a webbing sling around the tree for support for the frontal shots ?
What kind of treestand is it and does it have a front bar?

The most stable I get in a stand is a hang on that faces the tree because I can place the forend on the climber tree attachment and use it as almost like an angled bag rider to adjust elevation.

1699528528646.jpeg

With forward facing tree stands if there’s no bar I’m either going to scrunch down and place an elbow on my thigh, pull a knee up or just offhand it

ARB

FNG
take a piece of rope tie a loop in one end sinch it around the tree above you head use the long end to wrap once around your rifle by the forend. it will hold it pretty steady

Rich M

WKR
You're having trouble getting steady with a shooting stick? Can you rest it against your leg, maybe get a 2 legged shooting stick? Can you raise yer knee to get your elbow on?

On the shots behind you, rest against the tree. Yer good for 200-250 yards holding rifle against a tree.

Some guys do use a sling tied above to help stability, others wrap sling around arm.

Otherwise, do some pushups and strengthening exercises. It will make a diff.

I find I need my elbows secure to have a solid rest. Loose elbows, wobbly gun. They do sell stand alone rails for stands - if would make a diff.

Last comment - I have one of these - caldwell tree pod things - got it for when I get old. Might help.

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
Good sling technique is super helpful and often gets overlooked. In this position, I'll position a very high mounted hasty sling with my off hand slid as close to the magazine box as possible, even grabbing the magazine box on a drop mag set up and tucking my elbow into my gut. That setup paired with your monopod may be the ticket. Also, I'd get on the range (in whatever form that can happen for you) to practice. It may seem like the sling isn't worth the time but it adds solid stability. That's just from my experience. I've not had a monopod and used the sling from a stand and taken a few deer this way.

Something else to consider is stand setup - meaning potentially offsetting your stand to not necessarily directly face the direction you think deer are coming from (or just wait for the animal to travel to the ideal shooting corridor). For example, as a right handed shooter, I'd shoot off the tree trunk by standing and leaning into the tree a little with the palm of my left hand and my left elbow out almost horizontal. I then lay forearm of the rifle across the top of my left wrist. I've also "cupped" the rifle while leaning my left arm on the tree. If I can't get the right shot, I simply don't pull the trigger.

Here's a link to an article that shows the hasty sling position I mentioned: https://www.petersenshunting.com/ed...g-positions-every-hunter-should-master/272545

satchamo

WKR
Mono pod - most of my stands are that standard steel grid and this stick I have sits right into the holes. If it doesn’t - just tape something to the end to widen it up.

I used to hunt a lot of tall ladder stands and hang on stands. I have used a rope tied to a overhanging tree limbs with a series of loops tied in the rope hanging down from above. Depending upon the angle of your shot you just slide the rifle in the correct loop. Let the rope support and stabilize the front of the rifle stock. Worked great.

I haven’t hunted in a tree stand since I moved out west.

But the best way I found was using my Trekking poles, with the snow baskets on, and the wider precision quick stix. You can also just cross the handles but I like the quick stix. Plenty of threads on shooting with trekking poles here. The baskets keep your poles from falling through the bottom of your tree stand. Infinitely adjustable and steady enough for 200-300 yard shots. I was already very comfortable using my trekking poles to shoot growing up and sort of stumbled on the idea trying to figure out how I could shoot across a big cutover with my muzzleloader.

67CB06EF-78D0-4CD1-B146-9ACDB8FA5860.jpeg

Wolfshead

FNG
I recently saw this on another forum
you really don’t have to buy one, but can possibly rig up something similar on your own.
maybe some webbing from a ratchet strap?

Macintosh

WKR
That steady strap is along the lines of what I was thinking. I don’t generally rifle hunt from a stand, but a simple rope tether girth hitched around the tree above you without any knots at all, would still allow you to take a wrap with the rope around your hand and use that to support the front of the rifle. Lean into it and it’ll be pretty stable.

Wolfshead

FNG
That steady strap is along the lines of what I was thinking. I don’t generally rifle hunt from a stand, but a simple rope tether girth hitched around the tree above you without any knots at all, would still allow you to take a wrap with the rope around your hand and use that to support the front of the rifle. Lean into it and it’ll be pretty stable.
Yes that is what I was thinking.
I just thought the webbing from a ratchet strap might be a bit more comfortable than rope?