Layout Blind Damaging Gun Barrel

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy guys,
I just got my Benelli SBE2 back from the gunsmith after being cerakoted. After years of hunting, the camo on my barrel was rubbing off from my Tanglefree layout blind.

Like most hunters, I would put the gun on the metal "knee bar" near my shin & close the door. Over 20 years of opening, shutting & shifting the gun while hunting, the camo on the barrel would rub off from the two metal bars sandwiching the barrel.

So after this past season I had a gunsmith sand blast the camo off and cerakote the entire gun (looks great) but the gunsmith said the cerakote will even rub off like the camo.

I have a couple solutions:

1. Cut a pool noodle & wrap it around both metal parts so the gun has a nice cushion. But this may not allow me to shut the door like it should....

2. Wrap the metal parts in a bunch of electrical tape to provide some cushion. But I may have to wrap it a bunch & may not be the best long term solution.

Anyone have this issue before or maybe a better solution??

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
Get some cloth tape, it sticks to itself and not really to the meatal, will protect a little better than electrical tape. Or stealth strips.

My sbe 2 finish is all beat up from the same thing and just general wear and tear from waterfowl hunting.

How much was the Cerakote job? I have been looking into that, either sending it out or diy?

Last edited:
OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Get some cloth tape, it sticks to itself and not really to the meatal, will protect a little better than electrical tape. Or stealth strips.

My sbe 2 finish is all beat of from the same thing and just general wear and tear from waterfowl hunting.

How much was the Cerakote job? I have been looking into that, either sending it out or diy?

I got a smith who does a whole gun for $300 for the whole gun.​

Rob Robert's is like $350 and an additional $100 for "distressed" cerakote. Inuust didn't want to send it away when a smith does it locally. Took 3 weeks.

slvrslngr

WKR
Wrap the offending metal with some duct tape and paint it whatever color that pleases you. Then, fix the worn areas on the barrel with some matte finish Krylon and don’t worry about it.

I use a cloth tape or pipe insulation. I just sent some guns off to rob roberts for cerakote and performance work. I’ve had a couple done around here locally as well so be interested to see if his holds up as good or better.

KurtR

WKR
My fa blind had cloth that comes on the bar infront so not a problem but haven’t used the layout for two years since we got chairs and blankets

CorbLand

WKR
If your worried, just wrap it in any padded tape. Athletic tape, camo tape, bike tape, etc.

I always envied guys that have guns that have that wear on them. Means they get out a lot and have had that same gun for a long time.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Great options and opinions. Certainly like the bike handle bar tape idea, along with the others.

After 20 yrs my SBE needed a face lift. She was in rough shape. I want 'er to last another 20, gotta take care of her.

Wheels

WKR
My question is: who still uses layout blinds??
Maybe I'm old and don't like them, but A frames or backboards and ghillie blankets are much easier to deal with to me.

kpk

WKR
Maybe I'm old and don't like them, but A frames or backboards and ghillie blankets are much easier to deal with to me.

I don't know anyone that field hunts without one. The only exception would be the outfitters that have pits in the fields. They're more of a pain to hide, but they're considerably warmer and more comfortable. Doors on the new ones are almost spring loaded - can get up and out crazy fast.

WCB

WKR
I despise shooting out of A frames...And prefer shooting off of backboards. However, I would rather shoot out of a layout still than an A frame. Not that they don't have their time and place but I hunt mostly snow geese and those bastards are hard enough most days to get to commit. I can hide layouts A LOT easier and don't have to question if the issue is the blinds. Also, a lot easier to take a nap mid day in a layout.

I get a chuckle out of the idea that the barrel is "damaged" because the camo is rubbed.

Never trust a carpenter with a shiny hammer.

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I get a chuckle out of the idea that the barrel is "damaged" because the camo is rubbed.

Never trust a carpenter with a shiny hammer.

Barrel wasn't damaged, after 20 yrs of every weekend and holiday waterfowl hunting and "sneaking out of work" she's had some miles. And I'm a firm believer that if I take care of my gear, it'll take care of me! Lol.

KurtR

WKR
I despise shooting out of A frames...And prefer shooting off of backboards. However, I would rather shoot out of a layout still than an A frame. Not that they don't have their time and place but I hunt mostly snow geese and those bastards are hard enough most days to get to commit. I can hide layouts A LOT easier and don't have to question if the issue is the blinds. Also, a lot easier to take a nap mid day in a layout.
I never thought the aframe would work for snows but this year we shot more out of the aframe than any thing else. I love just being able to stand up and shoot them in the face. I would have never even tried it but seen every one down south using them so figured what the hell and it worked out better than i would have guessed

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider

Oh believe me, I have backboards and blankets too! A frames, pits, layouts. If it's out there in the waterfowl world I've probably used it, hunted with it, hunted over them and everything in between.

There's a time and a place for everything. I've killed limits of ducks and geese out of an a frame in corn and then other days they bounce like crazy off a frames.

Some days no matter how well I cover my layout or backboard, they won't commit.

Sometimes they want full bodies, other times silhouettes, or others socks....sometimes hug spreada, sometimes small.

They can be smart buggars.

Gotta adapt.