Lead sled

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
When you’re in the process of load development, do you always shoot off a lead sled?

I like the idea of minimizing the “just me” variable, but feel like the rifle itself might shoot differently. Plus, I wanna practice my shooting.

Thoughts...?

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I never use a lead sled. I have tried them and could never get a good group off of one. I prefer sand bags front and rear for my rifles. When using weight on the lead sled, the recoil that is not felt on your shoulder is just transferred to your rifle by it being held in place. That is another reason I don't use them for my rifles. If someone asks me to shoot their unbraked magnum rifle for them, I will gladly use their lead sled though.

mvrk28

WKR
I use the lead sled DFT 2. I like all of the adjustment it has, I started using sandbags with it. I really only ever go to the range to do load development so I constantly shoot off it.

Axlrod

WKR
Most of my heavy guns have a brake or can on them so i use bags. Hunting rifles i use the bipod and rear rest that I will be hunting with. For my T-C Encore 416 Rigby I use the lead sled with 50# of lead.
I have over 300 rounds through it with no issues with the scope or stock. This gun generates 106 ft/lb of recoil.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
Lead sleds do more harm than good.

I do initial break in and load development with a bipod and rear bag. For final tweaking I use a Front Rest and rear bunny ear bag if I think the particular barrel is worth it.

My advice is to dry fire. Dry fire. And dry fire some more.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Lighter rifles I only use the sled as a work stand, chrono run or quick zero-check as it stays out on my bench year round. I've never managed to shoot a great group off of mine- sandbags or bipod / sandbag for serious work.
Never had any scope / mount issues that I'm aware of- from a couple of pretty light rifles in 300 H&H and 338 Win Mag to a pair of 416's. 50# of shot takes the sting out of those flinch inducers.

cmahoney

WKR
I sold mine, didn’t seem consistent. I shoot better off of two bags, but I prefer pone to be the most consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowlitz77

FNG
Have one--don't use it anymore. Just could not get the same position/ feel that I get shooting off a bipod and rear squeeze bag. Loaned it to a buddy and it never came back.

tdhanses

WKR
I used one for a short period, don’t waste your money on one, invest that money in a good quality bipod and learn to shoot off it.

BluMtn

WKR
I have seen 2 rifles that the owners had been using lead sleds. Both rifles were broken at the wrist. One of those the rifle broke and the action slammed into the shooter leaving a very large bloody bruise on his shoulder. The other one just went sideways and hit the ground. The main problem with both of those examples was they had loaded the sled with way to much weight not allowing the sled to move. The recoil had to go somewhere finding the weak spot.

tdot

WKR
I found a sled changes the recoil of the rifle too much. Picture a rifle stock running into a brick wall...its going to recoil very differently then against a human shoulder. I also found it hard to get the same check weld. So for me it was a complete waste of time. Glad I had only borrowed it.

psirus7

WKR
I have a lead sled DFT and never use it. It’s too awkward and like everyone else, I don’t get consistent groups. I’ve had good luck with sandbags AND a Caldwell Tackdriver

shooter60

FNG
Same here got a led sled but use sand bags a little more comfortable for me but my son will only use the led sled

I’m more accurate off of bags, I always seem to get forced into a goofy position with a sled. Plus I seem to get a better rest from bags.