Left eye dominant right handed youth shooter?

OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR
It's a Winchester 190, it's the gun I learned on and he's not exactly crazy about it due to the trigger being around 8-10 pounds. I just did a quick search on gallery of guns found more options that I thought were out there so I'll probably just have to order one and then go from there. Thanks everyone for all the recommendations.

Grumman

WKR
My boy is left eye dominant and right handed. Lever action Henry .22 and ARs work well for him at the moment until he moves up to bigger guns which will be left handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rmauch20

WKR
I was thinking about the Henry's but I didn't know if they would be any better. Right now looking at one of the savage mark ll left hand models. It's a 10 round magazine fed bolt action.

Flashmo

FNG
My son was right hand/left eyed. His competition guns were all left handed bolt actions. His hunting guns were all right handed.

An older man with the same hand/eye taught him how to run a right hand bolt left handed.

Much easier to find right handed guns and use them as is, or drop them in a left hand stock made for a right hand bolt.

jeffpg

WKR
The cross dominance issue can be a crazy thing. I also noticed my son using his left eye on a right handed pellet gun at a very young age and had never had to deal with the issue. I didn't really know what to do with it, so I simply had him practice shooting both ways and let him find his way through it. He settled into the right hand method but was also a very good left hand shot and actually took a couple of deer from tree stands shooting left handed that would have been a tougher right handed shot.

Anyway, he went on to compete in 4H competetive shooting and came in 12th place in the state as a 14 year old in the 14-18 year old age group so he was doing something right. He's 28 now and can shoot offhand with the best of them but can't beat dad on the bench, lol.

There's some amazing observations on the subject here, and you will see every type of variable imaginable, but I would agree on putting him into left handed equipment since he's definitely young enough to easily adapt.

Good Luck to the little fellow!
Jeff

AlaskaEd

WKR
I am left eyed, and right handed. I have shot extensively in the military, competition, and recreation and always shot right handed rifle or pistol. I never knew there was a difference or that it mattered until someone mentioned it and I realized I was LERH. Still, I have no issues, and I think the "problem" is overblown. I shoot scoped/iron sight rifles with my right eye, red dots with both eyes, and pistols with my left eye. It all feels natural, and I do well in all respects. I actually think it may be benificial with red dots as it is very easy and natural for me to use both eyes. I even shoot both eyes open with magnified optics and irons. I can also shoot off-hand pretty well, but I'm terrible at it when it comes to reloading and other non-shooting gun handling.

2ski

WKR
I went to a little talk on sporting clays a few years ago and took my buddy with me. The guy doing the presentation had us all figure out which eye dominance we had. My buddy, low and behold, was LE dominant. He had been shooting a rifle his entire life right handed. But I think that shooting with your dominant eye makes a bigger difference with reactive shooting disciplines, like shotgunning. But if found early on, a person may as well learn to shoot everything with their dominant eye. Teaching hunter's education, that's one thing we do is figure out everyone's dominant eye.

MattB

WKR
I just went through this with my daughter. I ended up with a left-handed Savage .22, took it to the range over the weekend to sight it in and was very impressed. It was a bit windy, but with my best 10 shot group at 50 yards I managed 5 rounds in the same hole with the others clustered pretty tightly around it.

RafterR

FNG
I’m the same way. My dad is too. He’s never owned a left hand bolt gun of any kind. I haven’t either. I don’t have any problems with a right hand gun running it left handed. Ar’s cost just a little more having to have ambi safety, charging handle, bolt release, etc but I shoot them just fine. I’m in the process of building myself my first lefty action rifle for prs/hunting. Don’t fight him on it. Let him shoot lefty and let him learn to run rh guns as well as lh. It will benefit him more in the long run. I shoot rh bows as well no problem.

I’m the opposite right eye dominant left handed I shoot a bow right handed and most guns now I can still shoot a gun pretty decent left handed if I needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
I'm right handed in everything. Very left eye dominant. I've been shooting right handed guns since 5 and have never had issue whatsoever. Hunted archery for 30 years and have never had an issue with right handed bows either. Is this normally that big of issue?

My twin brother was the same way- been shooting that way for over 25 years and he's a great shot w/ a bow & gun.