Leg gaiters for colorado????

Never hunted out west but see alot of guys wearing leg gaiters what gives? Will i need them in western colorado?

Poser

WKR

Awaldier

FNG
Gaiters are pretty nice for keeping snow out of your boot tops, as well as other debris.

I use them after rains. The tall grass can be extremely wet after a good rain. They are nice to have but not necessary.

I use them for most mountain hunting. Not just for water but to help keep out rocks/sticks/etc. I also think they pair well with rain pants to give to a shingle effect when its raining or snowing. I think they provide more benefits to those of us that don't wear the tall 10" boots.
Just 2 cents.

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I meant to include this in my first post. I use the Outdoor Research Crocodile gaiters.

I like wearing gaiters for a variety of reasons. They keep your pants dry, which plays a big role in keeping the tops of your boots and eventually your socks dry. I also like that they keep stickers and thorny brush off your pants. Of course, they really shine in snow.

They can be a little warm at times and are a bit noisy when taking them on and off. While walking/climbing I don’t notice the noise.

ChrisAU

WKR
Not necessary but they definitely help if moving in wet/snowy brush. I was sure glad to have them packing out my bull in CO last year, without them on the 2nd day my boots would have gotten soaked.

They're nice to have at lower elevations where the grass grows. Morning dew and the wicking effect seem to make the inside of my boots wet faster than any rain shower.

chasewild

WKR
Rarely necessary. Maybe chasing lions in January or sheep up north.

The only instance I have wanted a gaiter (not in the two situations above) was while glassing and wind was blowing up my pants for hours on end.

Poser

WKR
Rarely necessary. Maybe chasing lions in January or sheep up north.

The only instance I have wanted a gaiter (not in the two situations above) was while glassing and wind was blowing up my pants for hours on end.

You’ve never wished you had them for creek crossings? That’s the most common use for gaiters that’s I encounter outside of snow deeper than 4 inches or so.

cusecat04

FNG
not necessarily needed but can be helpful. I use them at home (NY) as well; as stated above keeps dew from soaking everything as it always seems to do.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
Love wearing gaiters in the rifle seasons. I don't wear them during archery because of the noise, but any rifle tag they are great. Keep the rain, snow, and debris off my pants and boots, and just adds another layer of protection. I run the Outdoor Research Crocodile and love them. They are beefy and can be loud, but I have had the same pair for something like 5 years and they are still in great shape, and I wear them quite a bit