Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.com Review ***Updated 1/8/21***

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
@Tony Trietch Do you know if Leica continues to use the loaded ballistic profile when in EHR mode? Just wondering if it defaults back to straight EHR or if its influenced by a ballistic profile of a firearm when actually using it with a bow. Not even sure if it would matter at bow ranges, but I'm curious.

FWIW, if it does, and you can get access to two chronographs, you could set one at the bow and one at 50yds and use the app to create a second custom curve for your bow (the app has a calculate coefficient feature).
No, as far as I know the EHR is just simple math. No custom ballistic input in EHR mode. I have been asking for archery ballistic input in a RF for many years.

This past year Leupold was the first to attempt it using Archer's Advantage software. I am really hoping other optic manufacturers jump in.

Hopps

FNG
Great review! I have the 2800.com and now I'm second guessing my purchase. I can comment on the kestrel link - once it is paired it links up within a few seconds of being turned on. I did notice that batteries seem to go a little quicker when using the connectivity but once you have verified your ballistic curve on the kestrel it works really well, I've used it in several competitions now - quick range and I find myself grabbing the info off my kestrel screen - it gets displayed in the rangefinder but it scrolls across kinda slow and I'm usually writing the dope on my armboard between each range so I have to look away from the rangefinder anyways.

I had one moment where it stopped ranging and just gave me the spinning circle so I pulled the battery and put it back in and I was able to finish the day out on probably another 20 targets.

Fog definitely plagues the 2800 it doesn't seem to punch through cloud / fog after about 5-600 yards.

V-TRAIN

WKR
I got a 3500.com for Christmas and last night sat down and tried to link it via blue tooth and am having issues. It is a issue with the app, not the rangefinder, it keeps saying it can't connect to my device without GPS permission. I went in my settings, made sure everything was on under location. Uninstalled the app, re-installed it, made sure it was given the green light on everything, and I still get the message.
I took a screenshot of it, I guess I will email Leica and see what is up.
Called and left message.
Not the way I was hoping to start out.
I have had a Leica 1000-R for years and love it, but wanted this for ballistics, but it is something to do with the phone/app and I don't know how to fix it.

V-TRAIN

WKR
ok, for some crazy reason today, that message is gone and my phone will look for the device.
before it would never even try to look for it.
I even tried downloading the app on my wife's phone also and was getting the same message.
maybe it was some kind some kind of strange glich in the android software and it got fixed over the weekend.

Last edited:
I know this review is old but I recently picked up a crf3500.com.

I have set up my rifles and Ammo profiles but there’s one thing I can figure out (I think I know but want validation).

When using a custom profile and shooting at distance longer than your zero it pops up the range and then a couple seconds later pops up another displace that will read “C”. Then a number. I’m assuming that’s the number of clicks to adjust?

Since I have my profile set to 1/10 MIL it should correspond accordingly, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I been waiting for years for my old Leica I bought in 2004/5 to take a dump so I can upgrade but despite the abuse I can dish out it keeps ranging. Great review thanks for posting it.

smg

FNG
??

It's not looking like you've gotten a reply yet - everyone's hunting? Were you able to verify whether the "C" is in fact the ballistic adjustment whether clicks or MOA. I'm curious as to whether it provides within the view of the rangefinder the elevation adjustment in addition to the yards. I can appreciate the app and its functionality for windage, etc. but I'm not necessarily interested in referring to an app during the heat of a shot. Particularilry if the animal is moving and I have to take repeated ranges of the animal as it moves as I'm getting set up. I'm used to using Zeiss RF where you point, click, and it provides the yardage with my MOA adjustment. I'm wondering if the crf3500 has the reading within the view or you are forced to look at the MOA adjustment via app only?

It's not looking like you've gotten a reply yet - everyone's hunting? Were you able to verify whether the "C" is in fact the ballistic adjustment whether clicks or MOA. I'm curious as to whether it provides within the view of the rangefinder the elevation adjustment in addition to the yards. I can appreciate the app and its functionality for windage, etc. but I'm not necessarily interested in referring to an app during the heat of a shot. Particularilry if the animal is moving and I have to take repeated ranges of the animal as it moves as I'm getting set up. I'm used to using Zeiss RF where you point, click, and it provides the yardage with my MOA adjustment. I'm wondering if the crf3500 has the reading within the view or you are forced to look at the MOA adjustment via app only?

No on here has responded. I did do some spot ranging with it and since I shoot mils it appears to reference the number of clicks.

For example on my rifle with a 100 yard zero, a 400 yard shot registers “C” 16. On the shooter ballistic app the come up shows to be 1.6 mils.

I do plan to confirm with Leica though. Seems like this would be covered in the user manual.