Leica ultravid hd 10x32 vs Swarovski el 10x32

There used to be a guy, Rockstad was his last name, who dealt in European glass of all makes, traveled there often to seek out deals, brought them back to U.S. to sell - I bought a couple of Zeiss 10 x 40 classics - He is/was a reputable guy and extremely honest - HIS passion was sheep hunting and his binocular of choice was Leica Ultravid 10 x 32 - It bears repeating that every eye is different but that WAS his choice and I'd consider him as "expert" as anyone on performance - BUT, a lot has changed for the good AND the bad in 20+ years

AGPank

WKR
I have EL SV 8x32 and Ultravid 8x32. Leica now is 2 generations beyond what I have, but I think dimensions are the same. The HD and newest HD+ are a big step up optically from my version. They don’t have field flattener like the SV.

The SV is much larger than the Ultravid. I struggle with eye placement with the Ultravid and it doesn’t appear to have as much eye relief. I don’t know how this changed on newer models. I’d really like to see the 8x32 HD+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the eye relief specs. IIRC, the Leicas are only about 13 mm unlike their 10x42 which is more like 16-17 mm. That along with weight may be significant factors in your choice.

I have used and preferred Leica for 26 years. You might check out the 10x42 also; Doug has a pair on sale right now for $1450.

Beendare

WKR
Oh man...flip a coin...both great glass.

Now FWIW, when it comes to compact binos...... I'm a guy that sold my small Zeiss....and don't own anything less that 42mm.......

The ultravid hd 10x42 silverline that Doug has on sale are only about 4 oz heavier than the typical rubber armored 10x32 Leicas. I suggest that the bigger binos are worth their weight. You might discuss the matter with Doug who can give the + and - of each choice. It looks like the EL's are an ounce or so heavier than the rubber armored Leica 10x32 but have more eye relief, important if you wear glasses. The Leica 10x42 do have enough eye relief for comfortable use with glasses.

bpurtz

WKR
I couldn't really see a noticeable difference between the Swaro EL and the Leica Ultravid HD. I came across some new open box Ultravid HD 10x32 and decided to pull the trigger - they are awesome binos.

Several months back Doug @ CameralandNY had a deal on some old stock Ultravid HD 8x42 - the increased field of view seemed intriguing so I decided to give them a try. They are my new favorite.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Swaro or Leica.

AGPank

WKR
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ultravid 42 is much bigger than an EL 32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk