Lens Caps on Spotting scope ideas

bigjacs22

FNG
Does anyone else have trouble with lens caps? They fall off, or you set them down after taking them off your spotting scope? Just curious what everyone's solution to this problem is. I was thinking about putting on tack strip of Velcro that wraps from under my spotting scope to the bottom of the lens cap, so that when I take it off, it is attached to the bottom of my spotter, but wanted to see if anyone else had any other ideas.

What spotting scope?

Any excess rubber on the lens cap to run a cable through? Anywhere on the spotter to connect the cable? Look at some of the binocular harnesses for inspiration.

Velcro would work but the contact point would be minimal as spotters are curved and the lens caps are flat.

OP
B

bigjacs22

FNG
What spotting scope?

Any excess rubber on the lens cap to run a cable through? Anywhere on the spotter to connect the cable? Look at some of the binocular harnesses for inspiration.

Velcro would work but the contact point would be minimal as spotters are curved and the lens caps are flat.
I have a Swarovski ATX 85mm. The eye piece has the rubber with a bungee attachment that accomplishes what I am trying to do. What I am referring to is the hard plastic lens cap for the objective lens. One piece of velcro on the bottom of the spotting scope, extending up onto the outside of the lens cap would, in theory, allow it to hang on from the bottom of the objective lens while using just as the rubber caps of most binos hand and just flip back into place when done. I was most curious if someone had a more preferred way and what has worked for anyone else.

4ester

WKR
I’ve lost some over the years.

I don’t like to keep them attached to the spotter due as they act as a sail during windy conditions. What if you leave a crown royal bag tied to your spotter on the lower leg to put them in. I currently put them in my marsupial gear case when not on the optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
With my hard caps on the Cabelas Krotos I had, I took a little black electrical tape and some string. Taped on end onto the objective lens barrel and the other on the outside edge of the cap. It stayed put, but did swing around in the wind a bit as 4ester suggested. Occasionally hit the tripod and made some noise, but the majority of the time it was a great way to keep the cap from being lost.

Looking for another idea with my Maven C1 spotter now, but will likely do the exact same thing. Since that cap is rubber, it will be much quieter if it hits the tripod occasionally in the wind.

Something similar to Chris' is probably the best way to go.

The item below could work. Sticky end on front of the lens cover and loop it on your spotter cover (assuming you have one).

Could go less expensive by using a black cable tie mount and create a tether of your choosing.

Assuming you have a cover...
Place the tethered lens cap in the objective's front cover. This will keep it from flapping in the wind and making sounds.

Randy1833

FNG
I drilled a small hole in the objective lens cover of my new Swarovski ATX, then fed through a thin cord, and tied it off, with a short enough tail that it won’t rub on the lens. I then ran the cord through my scope cover, and tied it off on my eyepiece cover.

7401BB2A-9474-485B-AE93-A215F24EFEA6.jpeg

I also have an ATX 85. Thinking about getting small 3m circular magnets to stick on lens caps. Then use magnetic connection to attach objective cap to eyepiece cap that already has bungee connection to scope. Thoughts?