Less Recoil than .308 Win... BUT can still take a Mule Deer @650yds. Which Catridge?

TheGDog

WKR
Doing preliminary looking at a caliber that fits the following niche:

Less Recoil than .308 Win > BUT can still take a Mule Deer @650yds AND a 13yo thin kid can still shoot it? And store-bought ammo can be found fairly easily.

From what I'm gathering it *could* be a .243 Win... and that a 6.5 Creedmor might be closest best match?

Trying to stick with something where it won't be hard to find the ammo for it. Figure I use it, and it handles business I get rid of the .308 win. I'm "Ok" with it I just don't like dealling with the .308 Recoil. Got some shouder issues on shooting side from dirt-bikes and weight-lifting injuries. But would still like to be able to ke 650yds shots on them at thi sone location.

So what are some calibrs to try? Because I also like trying for coyotes was thinking of doing a .22-250 or a .243 Win.

Figuring leaning toward the .243 Win since I could conceivably still take a black bear with .243 Win. But if that 6.5 Creedmor isn't that much more for recoil.. that could be a better possibile tool.

Figure the rest of you could mention the the lesser well known calibers which don't kick as strong.

Been being spoiled by .17 HMR and .223 Rem lately. I like looking in the optics and seeing what happened. With .308 Win you hope you can see what happened in it.

Wapiti1

WKR
Sticking to ballistics and not judging shot distance, in an 8 lb rifle:

.243WIN 100gr bullet 11-12 ftlbs recoil
6.5CM 130gr bullet 12-13 ftlbs recoil
.308 Win 165gr bullet 17-18 ftlbs recoil

Energy retention at distance, the 6.5 will be the best of the three, but it has no advantage over the .308 at the distance you set of 650 yards. In fact, I give the .308 the edge given the heavier bullet you would shoot and its higher momentum.

Factory .243 bullets have crap BC's, and you would need a fast twist barrel to shoot the better bullets. I would consider it and any other 6mm out of the running.

Best compromise is go to the 6.5 and shoot 130's.

Or brake your .308.

If you really want to get away from recoil, a brake or suppressor are the answer on either a 6.5 or .308.

Jeremy

Lawnboi

WKR
Have you considered getting a suppressor? Your kids ears will thank you, and it will take some recoil.

Id add the 6 creed to your list. Basically a 243 designed to shoot heavy for caliber bullets.

That said, out of your list the 6.5 creed with a 140 grain bullet is going to hold the most velocity at your target distance. But if you buy that people will be able to make fun of you cause you have a 6.5 cm.

Lowg08

WKR
It sounds like he is buying a new gun that he also wants his son to be able to shoot. Honestly the 308 is fine though. My son is ten and shoots it. He also shoot 12ga 20 well basically anything that can burn powder. I won’t let him shoot a 300 win mag though. Just do what you feel is best. Your his dad. You know him best. My nephew is 14 and looks like a worm with his guts slung out. He shoots a 308. Just depends from person to person.

For your son, a well-designed stock without too much drop and in a LOP that fits him, with a decent recoil pad, along with practice, will make far more difference in felt recoil problems than the step down from 6.5 to 243. Of course you can always brake it, but in my experience with kids, noise is as big a factor in flinching as actual recoil, and even with good ear protection, the blast and noise from brakes can be a problem for them.

For you, heavier/high BC 6.5 bullets make the Creedmoor far more viable at mid/long range than a .243.

My 10yo son shoots a Tikka Compact in 6.5 CM. It is a shorter LOP, but comes with spacer to bring it back up to adult length. The 20” barrel does lose some velocity, but it’s a handy and accurate little gun.

In spite of all the jeers and comments you are likely to get, in my opinion 6.5 Creedmoor is your answer.

Rokbar

WKR
.308 with muzzle brake. With plenty of training and practice, right rest, a13year old can shoot 650yds.