Let The Workouts Begin!!!

LostArra

WKR
last Thursday and Friday in the Bob- about 15 miles on snowshoes

RzJgdXt.png

NRODPTO.jpg

U90MvWg.jpg

I usually feel pretty good about my elk hunt training until I see a mtwarden post.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually feel pretty good about my elk hunt training until I see a mtwarden post.

well full disclosure, I’m getting ready for an annual event, the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open at the end of this month, so my training is definitely at a higher level than it would be most months :)

Gapmaster

WKR
Just had my second shoulder surgery since December. So I’ll be lucky to be shooting a bow this year, but I’m still putting in the miles. Can’t carry weight yet but getting the cardio anyway. Gotta get ready to be the full time “caller”! Might be nice to just sit back and watch for once.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Wish I’d started this back in March. Found out yesterday that I drew the Wyoming tag that there was no way I’d draw. That’s what I told the wife in January.
Now, I make up for lost time. Let the suck begin.

elkster

FNG
Drew Wyoming general tag last week which got me motivated to add P 90 X to my daily hikes with pack.
Its old school I know but whadya expect from a 56 yr old.?

For me, I push myself harder in a 45min group workout such as CrossFit or a similar HITT workout. I can try to workout by myself for 1-2 hours and don’t get near the same overall output as I do in a group setting. But that’s just how I’m wired. I know some people can do it just as hard alone

Elk97

WKR
Well, I'm back at it after an MRI, seeing a GP that said I need back surgery, a neurosurgeon that said I didn't but it will be two years before I'm back to normal and a physical therapist that said surgery would be a quicker fix but I wouldn't be hunting this year. Screw that. Herniated disc and 70 years of general abuse. Left leg feels like it's only getting half throttle, but I'm carrying a light pack and doing my 2-5 mile hikes up the switch back power line roads here on the island. Don't know if I'll be good enough to go by Sept, but it won't be for not trying. Hauling meat out might be interesting.

Scoot

WKR
Good luck, Elk97! Sounds like you have a great goal in sight.

My workouts have been slowed by a dinged knee and back. However, I'm plodding along as much as I can. I've been pushing on a bike over lunch (usually 8-10 miles, but that's all I have time for), doing some core, and a little bit of lifting. Mixing in a few other things during the week, but 95% are over lunch, so I only have about 50 minutes. I'm just starting to add in some running and I'll do some weighted pack workouts pretty soon too. My running is pretty pathetic at this point, but I'll ramp that up over June, July, and August. If I can do my lunch workouts and either go for a 3 mile run or do a good pack workout in the evening, I'll be able to deal with an elk hunt ok. I'm not there yet, but I will be in a couple months. Making very slow, but steady progress each week.